Share this @internewscast.com
Recent reports suggest that the United States is contemplating military actions against Iran, with strategies potentially focusing on targeting specific individuals and even considering regime change. This revelation comes from two U.S. officials who, under the condition of anonymity, shared insights with Reuters regarding the preliminary plans that could be activated pending an order from President Donald Trump.
While the officials did not specify which individuals might be targeted, it’s pertinent to recall that in 2020, President Trump authorized a military operation that resulted in the death of Iranian General Qassem Soleimani, a prominent figure as the head of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps’ elite Quds Force.
In light of these developments, Fox News Digital has reached out to both the White House and the Department of Defense for comments on the situation. Meanwhile, President Trump, addressing questions from reporters at the White House, mentioned that he is “considering” a limited military strike on Iran. The aim of such an action would be to exert pressure on Iranian leaders to engage in negotiations regarding their nuclear program.
During a White House press briefing on February 20, 2026, President Trump discussed the possibility of a military strike, further fueling speculations about the U.S. intentions towards Iran. When asked about the prospect of regime change, he remarked, “Well, it seems like that would be the best thing that could happen,” reflecting a potential shift in U.S. policy towards Iran.

President Donald Trump speaks during a press briefing at the White House, on Friday, Feb. 20, 2026, in Washington. Trump said Friday he is “considering” a limited military strike on Iran. (Allison Robbert/AP)
Last week, when questioned if he wanted regime change in Iran, the president said, “Well it seems like that would be the best thing that could happen.”
Trump on Thursday suggested the window for a breakthrough is narrowing in talks with Iran, indicating Tehran has no more than “10, 15 days, pretty much maximum” to reach an agreement.
“We’re either going to get a deal, or it’s going to be unfortunate for them,” he said.

The USS Gerald R. Ford is heading to the Middle East as the U.S. is building up its military presence there, amid talks with Iran. (U.S Naval Forces Central Command / U.S. 6th Fleet / Handout via Reuters)
A Middle Eastern source with knowledge of the negotiations told Fox News Digital this week that Tehran understands how close the risk of war feels and is unlikely to deliberately provoke Trump at this stage.
However, the source said Iran cannot accept limitations on its short-range missile program, describing the issue as a firm red line set by Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei.
Iranian negotiators are not authorized to cross that boundary, and conceding on missiles would be viewed internally as equivalent to losing a war.

In 2020, the Pentagon said President Donald Trump ordered the U.S. military strike that killed Iranian Gen. Qassem Soleimani, left, in Iraq. (Getty Images)
The source indicated there may be more flexibility about uranium enrichment parameters if sanctions relief is part of the equation.