Maduro at military parade

On Friday, a bipartisan coalition of Senators introduced measures to prevent President Donald Trump from initiating military actions in Venezuela without Congressional approval, citing the War Powers Resolution. This move follows recent military activity off the Venezuelan coast.

The proposed resolution serves as a reminder to President Trump that the authority to declare war lies solely with Congress. This action comes after Trump’s remarks on Wednesday, where he mentioned the possibility of ground operations and confirmed the authorization of CIA missions in Venezuela.

In response to U.S. operations targeting drug cartels near its waters, Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro has ramped up military exercises, deploying thousands of troops to the vicinity of the Colombian border since August, according to various reports.

Maduro at military parade

Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro and First Lady Cilia Flores were seen riding in a military vehicle during Independence Day celebrations in Caracas on July 5, 2025. (Credit: JUAN BARRETO/AFP via Getty Images)

There are reports suggesting an increase in troop movements on Thursday following the week’s military strikes, though Fox News Digital has yet to independently confirm these developments.

“I am deeply concerned about the Trump Administration contemplating unauthorized military strikes within Venezuela,” stated Senator Tim Kaine, D-Va., on Friday. “The American public does not wish to see their sons and daughters involved in more conflicts, particularly those that pose significant risks of destabilization and could lead to large-scale migration in our region.”

“If my colleagues disagree and think a war with Venezuela is a good idea, they need to meet their constitutional obligations by making their case to the American people and passing an Authorization for Use of Military Force,” Kaine, who sits on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, added. 

Tim Kaine speaks

Sen. Tim Kaine (D-VA) speaks during a confirmation hearing before the Senate Committee on Foreign Relations in the Dirksen Senate Office Building on July 15, 2025 in Washington, DC. (Photo by Michael M. Santiago/Getty Images)

Kaine’s resolution saw some support across the aisle and was joined by Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., who said in a statement, “The American people do not want to be dragged into endless war with Venezuela without public debate or a vote. 

“We ought to defend what the Constitution demands: deliberation before war,” he added. 

Though the resolution has bipartisan support, it faces an uphill battle in actually passing through the GOP-controlled Senate, which currently holds 53 seats in the upper chamber. 

Venezuelan vessel destroyed during U.S. military strike.

Venezuelan vessel believed to be affiliated with drug cartel Tren de Aragua destroyed during U.S. military strike off of Venezuela on Sept. 2, 2025. (@realDonaldTrump via Truth Social)

A similar bill, also co-sponsored by Paul and Sen. Adam Schiff, D-Calif., which looked to block the use of U.S. military force in the southern Caribbean Sea without the Congressional Authorization of Military Force, failed in the Senate just last week despite two Republicans, Paul and Alaskan Republican Sen. Lisa Murkowski, crossing party lines to back it.

In response to the resolution, White House spokesperson Anna Kelly told Fox News Digital, “As Commander-in-Chief, the President has acted within the laws of armed conflict to protect our country from those trying to bring poison to our shores. 

“It is obscene that these lawmakers would try to run cover for evil narco-terrorists as over 100,000 Americans die from overdoses every year – President Trump is prepared to use every element of American power to stop drugs from flooding into our country and to bring those responsible to justice,” she added.

Democrats have argued that the administration has yet to supply any evidence regarding the boat strikes that it has said were transporting members of Tren de Aragua – designated as a Foreign Terrorist Organization earlier this year.  

In at least one strike off the South American nation, Venezuelan officials claimed the victims were not members of the drug cartel, reported Reuters last month.

Fox News Digital could not immediately reach the Venezuelan embassy in D.C. for comment.

You May Also Like

Third Maryland Beaver Attack Raises Rabies Concerns After Two Animals Test Positive - Internewscast Journal

Third Maryland Beaver Attack Raises Rabies Concerns After Two Animals Test Positive

Maryland wildlife authorities are trying to locate a beaver after a 10-year-old…
Karmelo Anthony Defense Targets Judge Over Murder Verdict Comment - Internewscast Journal

Karmelo Anthony Defense Targets Judge Over Murder Verdict Comment

A Texas judge is set to hear arguments Wednesday on whether the…
Privileged DSA Leader Fired for Skipping Electrician Gig - Internewscast Journal

Privileged DSA Leader Fired for Skipping Electrician Gig

A senior Democratic Socialists of America figure, whose parents helped place him…
Former CDC Adviser Urges Calm as Kindergarten Vaccination Rates Decline - Internewscast Journal

Former CDC Adviser Urges Calm as Kindergarten Vaccination Rates Decline

New figures from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention show…
US Border Patrol Finds 69 Animals Stuffed in Pillowcases - Internewscast Journal

US Border Patrol Finds 69 Animals Stuffed in Pillowcases

A 66-year-old woman described by federal prosecutors as a Tijuana resident was…
Karmelo Anthony Wins Major Legal Victory as Judge Is Removed From Murder Case - Internewscast Journal

Karmelo Anthony Wins Major Legal Victory as Judge Is Removed From Murder Case

Karmelo Anthony’s defense team won a significant ruling Wednesday when a senior…
Tupac Murder Trial Faces Witness Fear as Ghostwriter May Hold Key - Internewscast Journal

Tupac Murder Trial Faces Witness Fear as Ghostwriter May Hold Key

The long-awaited murder trial tied to Tupac Shakur’s 1996 killing may hinge…
NYC Pollution Report Fuels Congestion Pricing Backlash - Internewscast Journal

NYC Pollution Report Fuels Congestion Pricing Backlash

Opponents of congestion pricing are claiming vindication. A new New York City…
Florida Senate Showdown Set: Ashley Moody vs. Angie Nixon - Internewscast Journal

Florida Senate Showdown Set: Ashley Moody vs. Angie Nixon

Ashley Moody captured the Republican nomination Tuesday, brushing aside several lower-profile GOP…
Northwest Indiana Power Outages Persist as NIPSCO Restores Service, Storm Cleanup Continues Ahead of Tuesday Severe Weather - Internewscast Journal

Northwest Indiana Power Outages Persist as NIPSCO Restores Service, Storm Cleanup Continues Ahead of Tuesday Severe Weather

MERRILLVILLE, Ind. () — A week after a tornado swept through Munster,…
Meta Faces Oakland Court Battle as States Sue Over Teen Social Media Use - Internewscast Journal

Meta Faces Oakland Court Battle as States Sue Over Teen Social Media Use

Outside a federal courthouse in Oakland on Tuesday, grieving parents held photos…
Ohio Couple Accused of Forcing Into Cruise Ship Cabin and Attacking Family, Including 9-Year-Old - Internewscast Journal

Ohio Couple Accused of Forcing Into Cruise Ship Cabin and Attacking Family, Including 9-Year-Old

An Ohio couple was taken into custody after investigators said they barged…