Share this @internewscast.com

The parents of slain New York woman Gabby Petito say they have reached a settlement in their suit against the parents of Brian Laundrie, the man who admitted responsibility for her death, as well as his parents’ attorney.

Details of the resolution of the emotional distress case were not disclosed. It came “after a long day of mediation,” the parents of Petito said in a statement released by their attorney Wednesday night.

“All parties reluctantly agreed in order to avoid further legal expenses and prolonged personal conflict,” Petito’s parents, Joseph Petito and Nichole Schmidt, said in the statement.

“Our hope is to close this chapter of our lives to allow us to move on and continue to honor the legacy of our beautiful daughter, Gabby,” they said.

Gabby Petito, 22, of Blue Point, New York, was killed as she and Laundrie were on a cross-country road trip in their van in 2021. Gabby Petito had documented their trip online.

Laundrie was a “person of interest” in her killing, and after he later died by suicide, a note was found in which he claimed responsibility, officials said.

Gabby Petito vanished in August of that year, and suspicion fell on Laundrie, 23, after he returned for Florida in the van without her.

Petito’s body was found in Bridger-Teton National Forest in Wyoming on Sept. 19, and Laundrie disappeared and was found dead in a swampy part of Florida on Oct. 20.

He killed himself and in writings that were found said he was responsible for Petito’s death, the FBI later said.

Petito’s parents then sued Laundrie’s parents and their lawyer, Steven Bertolino, for intentional and reckless infliction of emotional distress.

The Petitos alleged in the suit that Laundrie’s parents and Bertolino knew Petito was dead but lied to them and the public by issuing messages of hope that she’d be found.

Bertolino did not immediately respond to a request for comment Wednesday night.

He told NBC affiliate WFLA of Tampa that the civil suit has been settled.

“Christopher and Roberta Laundrie and I participated in mediation with the Petito family and the civil lawsuit has now been resolved,” Bertolino said in a statement to the station. “The terms of the resolution are confidential, and we look forward to putting this matter behind us.”

A wrongful death lawsuit was previously settled and a judge awarded the Petito family $3 million in 2022.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
Gas hasn't been this cheap on Labor Day since 2020

Labor Day Gas Prices Hit Lowest Since 2020

Americans soaking up the end of summer this holiday weekend will catch…
FBI increases surveillance of Iran-backed operatives in US: source

FBI Chief Labels Minneapolis School Shooting as ‘Barbaric’ Act of Domestic Terrorism Fueled by Anti-Religious Intentions

FBI Director Kash Patel stated that the shooter involved in the “barbaric”…
Wisconsin kayaker who faked his own death to leave wife sentenced

Wisconsin Man Who Pretended to Die to Escape Marriage Receives Sentence

A Wisconsin kayaker who, according to prosecutors, faked his own death to…
Trump administration asks Naval Station Great Lakes for support on Chicago immigration operations

Trump Administration Requests Naval Station Great Lakes’ Assistance for Chicago Immigration Efforts

CHICAGO — The Trump administration requested assistance from a military base near…
Israel confirms strike on Houthis in Yemen, marks second time this week

Israel Conducts Second Airstrike on Yemen’s Houthi Forces This Week

Israel confirmed on Thursday that it launched an attack on a Houthi…

Retrial Ordered for Three Former Memphis Officers Linked to Tyre Nichols’ Fatal Beating

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) — On Thursday, a judge mandated a new trial…
Missing New Orleans boy, 12, died after alligator attack, drowning: authorities

12-Year-Old New Orleans Boy Tragically Dies After Alligator Attack and Drowning

A young boy, aged 12, who had been missing for almost two…
Cracker Barrel co-founder Tommy Lowe slams CEO Julie Felss Masino after logo rebranding fail

Cracker Barrel Co-Founder Tommy Lowe Criticizes CEO Julie Felss Masino Over Logo Rebranding Mishap

The 93-year-old co-founder of Cracker Barrel criticized the executives of the homestyle…
Hurricane Katrina survivors share stories of perseverance 20 years after deadly storm

Survivors of Hurricane Katrina recount their resilience two decades after the devastating storm

Two decades after Hurricane Katrina, those who lived through it and those…
Exclusive look at Northwestern University's new Ryan Field facility, Wildcats football team playing at temporary site

Behind-the-Scenes Tour of Northwestern University’s New Ryan Field; Wildcats Football Relocates Temporarily

EVANSTON, Ill. (WLS) — The new Ryan Field is taking shape in…
Suspected Cincinnati beating 'coordinator' granted bond again after federal drug arrest

Cincinnati Assault ‘Organizer’ Released on Bond Again Following Federal Drug Charges

A man arrested and charged in connection with the viral July 26…
Remember the U. of Wyoming Sorority Sisters Forced to Accept a Transgender Member? Here's the Latest

Update on the University of Wyoming Sorority and Their Transgender Member Controversy

Despite President Donald Trump and his highly regarded administration performing exceptionally well,…