Share this @internewscast.com
The ride-sharing giant Uber is reportedly enhancing its background check procedures following revelations that its policies permitted individuals with violent criminal backgrounds to serve as drivers.
This new initiative follows an investigation by The New York Times, which disclosed that Uber’s existing protocols enabled drivers to remain on the platform despite having histories of serious criminal convictions, including violent acts.
Historically, Uber has barred individuals convicted of severe offenses such as murder, terrorism, sexual assault, and kidnapping from driving for the company.
However, the Times’ investigation found that in 22 states, Uber had allowed drivers with convictions for other grave offenses — including child abuse, stalking, and assault — to continue working, provided these convictions were at least seven years old.

These findings highlighted that Uber had permitted individuals with older criminal records to drive in certain states, given that their convictions were beyond the seven-year threshold. (Lokman Vural Elibol/Anadolu Agency/Getty Images)
Uber had previously justified the seven-year rule by stating it “strikes the right balance between protecting public safety and offering opportunities for those with older criminal records to gain employment and rebuild their lives,” as reported by the Times.
The outlet’s investigation revealed that, from 2017 to 2022, Uber received a report of sexual assault or sexual misconduct on an average of every eight minutes. The report also revealed Uber permitted drivers to continue operating within the company after receiving complaints from riders and only banned them after serious allegations were made.
Last year, an illegal immigrant from Lebanon working as an Uber driver in Texas was arrested after allegedly sexually assaulting a 21-year-old woman who was a passenger in his vehicle, according to FOX 26.

The Uber logo is displayed on a car on March 22, 2019, in San Francisco. (Justin Sullivan/Getty Images)
The victim reportedly said she fell asleep in Sameh Mohamad Chami’s vehicle and woke up in the front seat while the car was parked with her shorts unbuttoned. She told police she remembers Chami putting his hand down her pants.
Chami was arrested by local authorities Aug. 6, 2025, and Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) later lodged an arrest detainer against him.

Uber is reportedly vowing to change its policies regarding background checks for drivers. (iStock)
In 2021, a Florida Uber driver with a lengthy criminal history was arrested after he allegedly raped a 21-year-old woman who caught a ride in his vehicle after a night out with friends.
In light of the growing public concern regarding passenger safety, Uber is planning to change its policies to ban individuals convicted of violent felonies, child or elder abuse and endangerment and sexual offenses from driving for the company, regardless of when the crimes occurred, according to the Times.
Additionally, the company is reportedly changing its policies that include a seven-year cutoff regarding previous charges of less serious crimes, such as harassment or weapons charges.
The company has not provided a timeline of when the changes are expected to go into effect.
“Safety isn’t static, and our approach isn’t, either,” an Uber spokesman said in a statement to the Times. “We listen, we learn, we speak with experts and we evolve as the world changes. We believe that’s the hallmark of a healthy, effective safety culture.”
Uber did not immediately respond to Fox News Digital’s request for comment.