President Donald Trump administration asks Supreme Court to leave mass layoffs at US Department of Education in place

WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump’s administration requested the Supreme Court on Friday to halt a court order that mandates the rehiring of Education Department staff who were terminated in large-scale layoffs as part of his strategy to dismantle the agency.

The Justice Department’s urgent appeal to the Supreme Court argued that U.S. District Judge Myong Joun in Boston overstepped his jurisdiction last month by issuing a preliminary injunction that reversed the layoffs of approximately 1,400 employees and paused the overarching plan.

Joun’s decision has thwarted one of the significant campaign pledges of the Republican president and effectively delayed the initiative to reduce the department’s operations. A federal appeals court declined to suspend the order while the administration pursued its appeal.

The judge wrote that the layoffs “will likely cripple the department.”

But Solicitor General D. John Sauer wrote on Friday that Joun was substituting his policy preferences for those of the Trump administration.

The layoffs help put in the place the “policy of streamlining the department and eliminating discretionary functions that, in the administration’s view, are better left to the states,” Sauer wrote.

He also pointed out that the Supreme Court in April voted 5-4 to block Joun’s earlier order seeking to keep in place Education Department teacher-training grants.

The current case involves two consolidated lawsuits that said Trump’s plan amounted to an illegal closure of the Education Department.

One suit was filed by the Somerville and Easthampton school districts in Massachusetts along with the American Federation of Teachers and other education groups. The other suit was filed by a coalition of 21 Democratic attorneys general.

The suits argued that layoffs left the department unable to carry out responsibilities required by Congress, including duties to support special education, distribute financial aid and enforce civil rights laws.

Education Department employees who were targeted by the layoffs have been on paid leave since March, according to a union that represents some of the agency’s staff. Joun’s order prevents the department from fully terminating them, but none have been allowed to return to work, according to the American Federation of Government Employees Local 252. Without Joun’s order, the workers were scheduled to be terminated Monday.

Trump has made it a priority to shut down the Education Department, though he has acknowledged that only Congress has the authority to do that. In the meantime, Trump issued a March order directing Education Secretary Linda McMahon to wind it down “to the maximum extent appropriate and permitted by law.”

Trump later said the department’s functions will be parceled to other agencies, suggesting that federal student loans should be managed by the Small Business Administration and programs involving students with disabilities would be absorbed by the Department of Health and Human Services. Those changes have not yet happened.

The president argues that the Education Department has been overtaken by liberals and has failed to spur improvements to the nation’s lagging academic scores. He has promised to “return education to the states.”

Opponents note that K-12 education is already mostly overseen by states and cities.

Democrats have blasted the Trump administration’s Education Department budget, which seeks a 15% budget cut including a $4.5 billion cut in K-12 funding as part of the agency’s downsizing.

Associated Press writer Collin Binkley contributed to this report.

Copyright © 2025 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.

You May Also Like

US Border Patrol Finds 69 Animals Stuffed in Pillowcases - Internewscast Journal

US Border Patrol Finds 69 Animals Stuffed in Pillowcases

A 66-year-old woman described by federal prosecutors as a Tijuana resident was…
Abdul El-Sayed’s Mom Worked for Accused Terror-Funding Group - Internewscast Journal

Abdul El-Sayed’s Mom Worked for Accused Terror-Funding Group

Abdul El-Sayed, a progressive candidate in Michigan’s U.S. Senate race, is facing…
Liberia to Accept 1,000 Third-Country Deportees From US - Internewscast Journal

Liberia to Accept 1,000 Third-Country Deportees From US

Liberia has reached an agreement with the United States to take in…
Beloved mom of 3 killed when massive tree crashes onto SUV in freak highway accident

Mom of 3 Killed as Massive Tree Crushes SUV on Highway

A tragic highway accident in Ohio claimed the life of a mother…
Tupac Shakur’s Haunting Reply to Las Vegas Cop After Fatal Drive-By Shooting Revealed - Internewscast Journal

Tupac Shakur’s Haunting Reply to Las Vegas Cop After Fatal Drive-By Shooting Revealed

Tupac Shakur declined to identify the gunmen who ambushed him, even as…
Florida Boater Gets Life for 2024 Melvin Jimenez Murder - Internewscast Journal

Florida Boater Gets Life for 2024 Melvin Jimenez Murder

A Florida sailor has been sentenced to life behind bars after prosecutors…
Trump Ends Illegal Migrant Tax Credits in $3B Savings Move - Internewscast Journal

Trump Ends Illegal Migrant Tax Credits in $3B Savings Move

WASHINGTON — The Trump administration is moving to block illegal immigrants from…
69 live animals found stuffed in pillowcases in hidden car compartment after border arrest: Feds

Border Agents Find 69 Live Animals Stuffed in Pillowcases in Secret Car Compartment, Feds Say

A 66-year-old woman described by federal prosecutors as a resident of Tijuana…
NASA Spots 60-Foot Moon Crater After SpaceX Booster Crash - Internewscast Journal

NASA Spots 60-Foot Moon Crater After SpaceX Booster Crash

A NASA spacecraft orbiting the moon has captured the clearest images so…
Runner Finds Woman Fatally Stabbed Beside Vehicle Near Upscale DC Suburb Trail - Internewscast Journal

Runner Finds Woman Fatally Stabbed Beside Vehicle Near Upscale DC Suburb Trail

Woman found dead outside car in affluent neighborhood Police said a morning…
WHDC Director in Harlem Millions Scandal Had No Experience - Internewscast Journal

WHDC Director in Harlem Millions Scandal Had No Experience

A man accused of racist conduct and with no background in fund…
Accused Murderer Who Fled on Pass Had Taxpayer-Funded Apt Access - Internewscast Journal

Accused Murderer Who Fled on Pass Had Taxpayer-Funded Apt Access

A man accused in a Virginia killing who left the United States…