Student killed in fight at North Carolina high school as sheriff calls for community prayers

A tragic incident unfolded at a high school in Forsyth County, North Carolina, where a student lost their life following a fight with another student. Sheriff Bobby Kimbrough Jr. spoke on the heart-wrenching event, urging the community to rally in support and pray for the affected families, as the community faces what he described as “another sad day.”

During a press conference on Tuesday afternoon, Sheriff Kimbrough detailed that the situation at North Forsyth High School escalated shortly after 11 a.m. The school’s resource officer had issued a call for assistance, signaling a serious situation requiring immediate attention.

Upon the arrival of deputies, it became apparent that a physical altercation between two students had taken a devastating turn. “In the course of this altercation, a life was tragically lost,” Kimbrough revealed. He assured the public that the families involved had been notified and emphasized that there was no ongoing threat to the broader community.

Winston-Salem Police Chief William Penn Jr. expressed the deep impact the incident has had on the city, describing it as a “dark day” that had profoundly shaken the community. He affirmed the commitment of his department to work alongside other agencies in thoroughly investigating the incident to uncover the details of what transpired.

North Forsyth High School in North Carolina.

The shocking loss at North Forsyth High has prompted law enforcement and school officials to call for unity and community support, as they cope with the aftermath of this unsettling event.

Winston-Salem Police Chief William Penn Jr. said, “It’s a dark day for our city,” adding that the violence at the school “has shaken us to our very core.” He said his department is serving as an assisting agency in the investigation and is committed to helping identify exactly what happened.

Penn urged residents not to share videos or images from the incident online, saying it is “not the time to clout chase,” and warned that doing so is insensitive to the students and families affected.

He said the city, school staff and students at North Forsyth High School will need community support in the days ahead and asked residents to come together to “put an end to senseless violence.”

North Forsyth High School in North Carolina

Investigators on scene after a student was killed in a fight at North Forsyth High in North Carolina. (Credit: WGHP)

Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Schools Superintendent Don Phipps said his thoughts and prayers are with the students, staff and families impacted by the fatal altercation.

He thanked law enforcement and medical first responders for their quick response and praised school faculty and staff for acting swiftly during the emergency.

Phipps said, “Today is the worst nightmare of any educator” and that the district is hurting “when our students hurt.”

File image of police line tape.

Police did not release the identities of the students involved in the fatal fight. (AP Photo/Matt Rourke, File)

He announced that North Forsyth High School would be closed for students on Wednesday and said crisis teams will be available for faculty and staff, with services extended to students once they return. The superintendent also encouraged parents and guardians to use the school’s website for resources if immediate needs arise.

Kimbrough said he would not answer questions or provide further details about what led to the altercation, citing the ongoing investigation. He emphasized that authorities are still gathering information and said releasing specifics too early could compromise the case.

“I know there’s a lot of questions that you probably have, but it’s an ongoing investigation,” Kimbrough said. “I won’t be answering any questions right now. As soon as we bring closure, what I will tell you is we will push the information out to you as we’ve always been transparent.”

Kimbrough said he had just left the victim’s family and repeated that what they need most right now is prayer.

He said the governor reached out with condolences and urged the community to take time to reflect, talk with their children, and support students who witnessed the incident.

“We have some work to do in our community,” Kimbrough said.

North Carolina Gov. Josh Stein reacted to the stabbing on X.

“The stabbing that took place at North Forsyth High School is shocking and horrible,” he wrote. “I am praying for all students in the community and their loved ones. North Carolinians need to be safe wherever they are — especially in school. I have spoken with Sheriff Kimbrough to offer my support. We must never stop working toward a safer North Carolina.”

You May Also Like

Anthony Fauci Declines Senate Hearing After Invoking Fifth Amendment 100+ Times in COVID Probe - Internewscast Journal

Anthony Fauci Declines Senate Hearing After Invoking Fifth Amendment 100+ Times in COVID Probe

Dr. Anthony Fauci on Friday turned down a request to appear voluntarily…
Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear Says Mitch McConnell Still Has Not Responded to Him - Internewscast Journal

Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear Says Mitch McConnell Still Has Not Responded to Him

Washington — Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear said Sunday that Sen. Mitch McConnell…
Professor Jiang Xueqin Criticizes Los Angeles on Piers Morgan, Apologizes to China - Internewscast Journal

Professor Jiang Xueqin Criticizes Los Angeles on Piers Morgan, Apologizes to China

Chinese YouTube personality Professor Jiang Xueqin, host of the channel “Predictive History,”…
Chris Watts Reportedly Seeks Prison Marriage With New Love - Internewscast Journal

Chris Watts Reportedly Seeks Prison Marriage With New Love

Chris Watts is reportedly hoping to marry again. Watts, the convicted killer…
Alaska Runner Hospitalized After Using Bear Spray to Survive Brown Bear Encounter on Trail - Internewscast Journal

Alaska Runner Hospitalized After Using Bear Spray to Survive Brown Bear Encounter on Trail

A woman out for a solo run in Anchorage, Alaska, was hospitalized…
Iran calls on Houthis to prepare to cut off Red Sea gateway — can the terror group do it?

Houthi Attacks Turn Bab el-Mandeb Into Next Hormuz Flashpoint

A surge in attacks by Iran-backed Houthi fighters on vessels transiting the…
Mamdani’s NYC Housing Pick Criticized ‘Homeowner Cartels’ - Internewscast Journal

Mamdani’s NYC Housing Pick Criticized ‘Homeowner Cartels’

A housing nominee selected by Mayor Zohran Mamdani is facing scrutiny from…
SpaceX Falcon 9 Rocket Set for Launch From California’s Vandenberg Space Force Base - Internewscast Journal

SpaceX Falcon 9 Rocket Set for Launch From California’s Vandenberg Space Force Base

SpaceX is preparing to send a Falcon 9 rocket into the night…
Harvard Professor Faces Backlash for Allegedly Using AI to Draft Anti-Trump Op-Ed - Internewscast Journal

Harvard Professor Faces Backlash for Allegedly Using AI to Draft Anti-Trump Op-Ed

A Harvard professor is facing scrutiny after critics alleged that a Financial…
De la Espriella Urges Trump to Pause Tariffs After Colombia Quake - Internewscast Journal

De la Espriella Urges Trump to Pause Tariffs After Colombia Quake

BOGOTÁ, Colombia — Colombian President Abelardo de la Espriella has appealed to…
Al Sharpton Urges Nolan Wells Death Probe if Democrats Win House - Internewscast Journal

Al Sharpton Urges Nolan Wells Death Probe if Democrats Win House

Al Sharpton is urging Democrats to pursue a congressional probe into the…
California Traffic Stop Uncovers 30 Pounds of Cocaine Worth $800K - Internewscast Journal

California Traffic Stop Uncovers 30 Pounds of Cocaine Worth $800K

California authorities say they confiscated suspected cocaine valued at more than $800,000…