President Trump speaking in the Oval Office about the Golden Dome missile defense system.
Share this @internewscast.com

Donald Trump has announced his blueprint for an advanced “Golden Dome” missile defense system, which he asserts will be up and running by the conclusion of his presidency.

The futuristic concept announced by Trump would see American weapons put in space for the first time ever.

President Trump speaking in the Oval Office about the Golden Dome missile defense system.
Donald Trump unveils the Golden Dome concept in the Oval OfficeCredit: Getty
Illustrations of the Golden Dome for America missile defense shield.
The proposed Golden Dome for America is a state-of-the-art missile defense shieldCredit: AP
Iron Dome anti-missile system intercepting rockets over Ashkelon, Israel.
The idea is modelled on Israel’s Iron Dome defence systemCredit: Reuters
Illustration of America's Golden Dome, a futuristic US military air defense system.

Upon reentering the White House, Trump hinted at his intention to develop the Golden Dome, describing missile assaults as the “most devastating danger confronting the United States”.

The concept draws inspiration from Israel’s Iron Dome defense mechanism, which employs radar technology to identify incoming missiles and determines which are threats to residential regions.

But the Golden Dome would be an infinitely bigger project, not least because the United States is more than 400 times larger than Israel.

During his announcement in the Oval Office yesterday, Trump said his new Golden Dome would be “capable of intercepting missiles even if they are launched from the other side of the world”.

While an initial sum of $25 billion has been allocated for the project, officials believe it will cost far more over coming decades.

Trump said it will cost around $175 billion in total during his announcement yesterday.

But one estimate from the Congressional Budget Office has the space-based components alone costing $542 billion over the next 20 years.

Trump also claimed that Canada “has called us and they want to be part of it”.

Then-Canadian Defence Minister Bill Blair acknowledged his country’s interest during a visit to Washington earlier this year, saying Ottawa’s participation would “make sense”.

The Golden Dome would be designed to take on a wide range of missile threats to the United States, including lightning-fast hypersonic missiles that tear through the air faster than the speed of sound.

Iron Dome Explained: Inside Israel’s envy-of-the-world air defence downing 96% of terror rockets

It also aims to protect America from fractional orbital bombardment systems, which deliver missiles from space.

“All of them will be knocked out of the air,” Trump said, claiming the success rate is “very close to 100%”.

The missile defence system is intended to stop warheads at any stage in their deployment, from before launch to while they are in the air.

Pentagon officials have long sounded the alarm that existing defence systems have not kept up with new missile tech being developed by Russia and China.

China has around 400 intercontinental ballistic missiles and Russia has 350, according to a Defense Intelligence Agency assessment from last week.

Trump signed an executive order shortly after returning to office ordering proposals for a “next-generation missile defense shield”.

He said: “There really is no current system.

“We have certain areas of missiles and certain missile defence, but there is no system… there has never been anything like this.”

Trump wants the Golden Dome to be operational by the end of his term, which expires in January 2029.

But US Air Force secretary Troy Meink has told senators the project is “still in the conceptual stage”.

Space Force General Michael Guetlein, vice chief of space operations, has been earmarked to oversee its development.

The Space Force’s head General Chance Saltzman said on Tuesday that space weapons “represent new and emerging requirements for missions that have never before been accomplished by military space organisations.”

The complex task of building the missile shield will need a network of government agencies and private contractors, multiple sources have told CNN.

President Trump and Secretary of Defense Hegseth announce the Golden Dome missile defense shield.
Donald Trump, accompanied by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth, announces he has selected the path forward for his ambitious Golden Dome missile defense shieldCredit: The Mega Agency
President Trump speaking in front of a map of a missile defense system.
Trump wants the Golden Dome to be operational by the end of his termCredit: Getty
Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
State Department warns UK over grooming gang handling: 'Unspeakable abuse'

U.S. State Department Criticizes UK’s Response to Grooming Gangs Amidst ‘Unspeakable Abuse’ Concerns

The Trump administration has issued a stern critique of the United Kingdom…
Cory Booker announces marriage to Alexis Lewis

Senator Cory Booker Ties the Knot with Alexis Lewis in a Heartwarming Ceremony

In a heartfelt union, Sen. Cory Booker and Alexis Lewis have exchanged…
Analyzing Japanese free agents heading to MLB after Yankees declared interest

Yankees Eye Japanese Free Agents: MLB’s Next Big International Talent Surge

The New York Yankees are signaling a strong intention to re-engage with…
Luigi Mangione gains prominence at federal jail where guards like him and inmates dub him 'ambassador': report

DOJ Pushes for Death Penalty Option in Luigi Mangione Assassination Case

The Justice Department is taking a firm stance against the arguments presented…
LA ICE Raids Get Wild; Protester Makes Bad Decision to Block Van; Mayor Bass' Statement Is Incredible

Chaos Erupts in NYC: Anti-ICE Protesters Block Federal Agents in Garage Standoff

Recent actions by left-wing activists against ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement) have…
'It didn’t feel real': Georgia teen dances his way to New York City for Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade

Georgia Teen’s Dance Journey Takes Him to the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade in New York City

As vibrant floats and rhythmic marching bands made their way down 34th…
The ‘illegal orders’ minefield, a food-price win for Americans and other commentary

Navigating Controversial Commands: A Breakthrough in Food Prices Benefits Americans Amidst Debate

Mutiny watch: The ‘Illegal Orders’ Minefield Joshua Braver, writing for The Wall…
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu submits request for a pardon during his ongoing corruption trial

Netanyahu’s Bold Move: Seeks Presidential Pardon Amidst Intensifying Corruption Trial

In a bold move, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has approached the…
GA GOP Teen Chair Stembridge Hit With Child Predator Sting

Georgia GOP Teen Chair Caught in Shocking Child Predator Sting Operation

A rising star in Georgia Republican politics is facing explosive allegations after…
4 people killed, 10 wounded in shooting at child’s party in California

Tragic Shooting at California Children’s Party Leaves 4 Dead, 10 Injured: Community in Shock

In a tragic turn of events over the weekend, a child’s birthday…
Asking Eric: Husband does housework while wife plays online games

Role Reversal: How One Husband’s Chores Empower His Wife’s Gaming Passion

Dear Eric, I am a 47-year-old man who has been married to…
Vanessa Hudgens, Cole Tucker welcome second child

Vanessa Hudgens and Cole Tucker Celebrate the Arrival of Their Second Child

Vanessa Hudgens, renowned for her role in “High School Musical,” announced a…