Trump seeks to ban foreign students from Harvard by blocking US entry

Trump Attempts to Prevent Foreign Students from Attending Harvard by Restricting US Entry

This represents another level in the ongoing dispute between the White House and Harvard University, following a federal court’s recent decision to halt an order that aimed to stop international students at the university.

WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump is taking steps to prevent almost all international students from coming into the U.S. to attend Harvard University. This is his latest effort to cut off the flow of international students, who make up about 25% of Harvard’s student population.

By signing an executive order on Wednesday, Trump stated that allowing Harvard to continue admitting foreign students to its Cambridge, Massachusetts campus would pose a threat to national security.

“I have determined that the entry of the class of foreign nationals described above is detrimental to the interests of the United States because, in my judgment, Harvard’s conduct has rendered it an unsuitable destination for foreign students and researchers,” Trump wrote in the order.

It’s a further escalation in the White House’s fight with the nation’s oldest and wealthiest university. A federal court in Boston blocked the Department of Homeland Security from barring international students at Harvard last week. Trump’s order invokes a different legal authority.

Trump invoked a broad federal law that gives the president authority to block foreigners whose entry would be “detrimental to the interests of the United States.” On Wednesday, he cited the same authority when announcing that citizens of 12 countries would be banned from visiting the U.S. and those from seven others would face restrictions. Trump’s Harvard order cites several other laws, too, including one barring foreigners associated with terrorist organizations.

In a statement Wednesday night, Harvard said it will “continue to protect its international students.”

“This is yet another illegal retaliatory step taken by the Administration in violation of Harvard’s First Amendment rights,” university officials said.

It stems from Harvard’s refusal to submit to a series of demands made by the federal government. It has escalated recently after the Department of Homeland Security said Harvard refused to provide records related to misconduct by foreign students.

Harvard says it has complied with the request, but the government said the school’s response was insufficient.

The dispute has been building for months after the Trump administration demanded a series of policy and governance changes at Harvard, calling it a hotbed of liberalism and accusing it of tolerating anti-Jewish harassment. Harvard defied the demands, saying they encroached on the university’s autonomy and represented a threat to the freedom of all U.S. universities.

Trump officials have repeatedly raised the stakes and sought new fronts to pressure Harvard, cutting more than $2.6 billion in research grants and moving to end all federal contracts with the university. The latest threat has targeted Harvard’s roughly 7,000 international students, who account for half the enrollment at some Harvard graduate schools.

“Admission to the United States to study at an ‘elite’ American university is a privilege, not a right,” Attorney General Pam Bondi said in a post on X. “This Department of Justice will vigorously defend the President’s proclamation suspending the entry of new foreign students at Harvard University based on national security concerns.”

Rep. Pramila Jayapal, D-Wash., called the measure ridiculous and said it has nothing to do with national security.

“It’s a thinly veiled revenge ploy in Trump’s personal feud with Harvard, and continued authoritarian overreach against free speech,” Jayapal said on the social media site X.

The order applies to all students attempting to enter the United States to attend Harvard after the date of the executive order. It provides a loophole to allow students whose entry would “benefit the national interest,” as determined by federal officials.

Trump’s order alleges that Harvard provided data on misconduct by only three students in response to the Homeland Security request, and it lacked the detail to gauge if federal action was needed. Trump concluded that Harvard is either “not fully reporting its disciplinary records for foreign students or is not seriously policing its foreign students.”

“These actions and failures directly undermine the Federal Government’s ability to ensure that foreign nationals admitted on student or exchange visitor visas remain in compliance with Federal law,” the order said.

For foreign students already at Harvard, Secretary of State Marco Rubio will determine if visas should be revoked, Trump wrote.

The order is scheduled to last six months. Within 90 days, the administration will determine if it should be renewed, the order said.

A State Department cable sent last week to U.S. embassies and consulates said federal officials will begin reviewing the social media accounts of visa applicants who plan to attend, work at or visit Harvard University for any signs of antisemitism.

In a court filing last week, Harvard officials said the Trump administration’s efforts to stop Harvard from enrolling international students have created an environment of “profound fear, concern, and confusion.” Countless international students have asked about transferring from the university, Harvard immigration services director Maureen Martin said in the filing. 

Associated Press writer Cheyanne Mumphrey in Phoenix contributed to this report.

Copyright 2025 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.     

You May Also Like

Alaska Charter Plane Crash Kills 8 at Cape Newenham Radar Site - Internewscast Journal

Alaska Charter Plane Crash Kills 8 at Cape Newenham Radar Site

A charter aircraft carrying eight people went down Thursday at a remote…
Walmart to Use $2.9 Billion in Tariff Refunds to Cut Prices for Shoppers - Internewscast Journal

Walmart to Use $2.9 Billion in Tariff Refunds to Cut Prices for Shoppers

Walmart is putting billions of dollars from tariff refunds back into price…
Bodybuilder Dwayne Quamina Dies at 40 After Final Message Urging Fans to Stop Taking Life for Granted - Internewscast Journal

Bodybuilder Dwayne Quamina Dies at 40 After Final Message Urging Fans to Stop Taking Life for Granted

Dwayne Quamina, a Navy veteran and Mr. Olympia competitor known to bodybuilding…
Police ID Chucky-Mask Suspect Accused of Terrorizing Philly Women - Internewscast Journal

Police ID Chucky-Mask Suspect Accused of Terrorizing Philly Women

Philadelphia police say they have identified the masked suspect accused of frightening…
Progressive Aisha Wahab Claims Eric Swalwell’s House Seat - Internewscast Journal

Progressive Aisha Wahab Claims Eric Swalwell’s House Seat

Progressive California state lawmaker Aisha Wahab is set to complete the remainder…
Harvard Wins Dismissal of Antisemitism Lawsuit as Judge Sides With University - Internewscast Journal

Harvard Wins Dismissal of Antisemitism Lawsuit as Judge Sides With University

– Harvard wins dismissal of DOJ antisemitism lawsuit before a local federal…
Armed Woman Sought in Massachusetts After Veteran Police Officer Found Dead at Home - Internewscast Journal

Armed Woman Sought in Massachusetts After Veteran Police Officer Found Dead at Home

A 58-year-old woman linked to a longtime Massachusetts police officer found dead…
Lindsay Clancy’s Ex-Husband Quietly Remarries, Starts New Chapter Amid Her Murder Trial - Internewscast Journal

Lindsay Clancy’s Ex-Husband Quietly Remarries, Starts New Chapter Amid Her Murder Trial

If you or someone you know is experiencing suicidal thoughts, call the…
Over 100 Boxes of Stolen LEGO Found in Barstow Desert Van - Internewscast Journal

Over 100 Boxes of Stolen LEGO Found in Barstow Desert Van

Investigators in California are working to determine how more than $28,000 worth…
Mehnoosh Hatam Killed in DuSable Lake Shore Drive Crash - Internewscast Journal

Mehnoosh Hatam Killed in DuSable Lake Shore Drive Crash

CHICAGO () — A 49-year-old motorcyclist was killed Wednesday night in a…
Court Docs: Driver in Tennessee Crash That Killed 2 College Cyclists Allegedly Never Braked - Internewscast Journal

Court Docs: Driver in Tennessee Crash That Killed 2 College Cyclists Allegedly Never Braked

A Tennessee motorist accused of plowing into a group of college cyclists,…
Timeline: How 'Chucky' Mask Suspect Evaded Philadelphia Police - Internewscast Journal

Timeline: How ‘Chucky’ Mask Suspect Evaded Philadelphia Police

Surveillance video shows the tense moments a masked man, wearing a disturbing…