Nuclear explosion.

DONALD Trump has said that the US is “totally prepared” for a nuclear war following a slew of threats against America from a Kremlin comrade.

In an extraordinary escalation, the commander-in-chief ordered that two nuclear submarines be positioned near Russia 

Nuclear explosion.
Trump has said the US is ‘fully prepared’ for a nuclear warCredit: Getty
President Donald Trump leaving the Oval Office.
Don slammed former Russian president Dmitry Medvedev’s comments as ‘highly provocative’Credit: The Mega Agency
Dmitry Medvedev, Deputy Chairman of Russia's Security Council, at a meeting.
Russia’s Security Council’s Deputy Chairman Dmitry Medvedev seemed to threaten America with nuclear annihilation in the tit-for-tat row with TrumpCredit: Reuters
US Navy submarine sailing in waters off the coast of Western Australia.
The US Navy’s USS Minnesota (SSN-783), a Virginia-class fast attack submarineCredit: AFP

The nuclear sabre-rattling follows Dmitry Medvedev, deputy chairman of Russia’s security council, issuing a dire warning and indicating that the US is making significant moves towards conflict with Moscow.

Trump slammed Medvedev’s words as “foolish and inflammatory” before ordering the placement of nuclear submarines near Russian territory.

“In response to the provocative remarks by the Former President of Russia, Dmitry Medvedev, who currently serves as the Deputy Chairman of the Security Council of the Russian Federation, I have commanded the deployment of two Nuclear Submarines to strategic locations,” Trump posted on Truth Social.

Medvedev, who previously served as the Russian president from 2008 to 2012, appeared to signal a nuclear threat against the US amid escalating tensions with Trump.

He stated: “If the pronouncements of the former Russian president [Medvedev] provoke such agitation in the mighty US president, then Russia stands justified and will persist on its chosen path.

“Let him remember his favorite films about the “walking dead”, as well as how dangerous a “dead hand” that does not exist in nature can be.”

Medvedev might have been alluding to Moscow’s “Dead Hand” nuclear arsenal system, which is programmed to trigger a catastrophic retaliatory strike with complete nuclear capability even if the Kremlin’s command is obliterated.

He also warned that Russia “isn’t Israel or even Iran.”

“Each new ultimatum is a threat and a step towards war,” the former Russian president wrote in an X post.

The MAGA prez hit back saying: “Just in case these foolish and inflammatory statements are more than just that.

Donald Trump orders nuclear submarines to be moved near Russia as he blasts ‘foolish’ nuke threat from Putin crony

“Words possess significant power and can sometimes lead to unforeseen outcomes. I trust this won’t be such an occasion. Thank you for your attention to this matter!”

Trump did not say in his post whether he meant nuclear-powered or nuclear-armed submarines. He also did not elaborate on the exact deployment locations, which are kept secret by the US military.

But in an interview with Newsmax that aired Friday night, Trump said the submarines were “closer to Russia.”

“We always want to be ready. And so I have sent to the region two nuclear submarines,” he said.

“I just want to make sure that his words are only words and nothing more than that.”

Trump v Medvedev: War of words

July 2025: Donald Trump announced a 50-day deadline for Russia to move toward ending the war in Ukraine or face “severe” tariffs.

Dmitry Medvedev, the Deputy Chairman of Russia’s Security Council, dismissed this as a “theatrical ultimatum” that Russia “didn’t care” about.

Late July 2025: President Trump reduced his deadline for Russia to secure a peace deal to just “10 or 12 days,” threatening sanctions and secondary tariffs on countries that do business with Russia.

In response, Medvedev wrote on X that Trump was “playing the ultimatum game” and warned that each new ultimatum was a step toward war, not between Russia and Ukraine, but with the United States.

July 30, 2025 In a post on his Truth Social platform, Trump publicly targeted Medvedev, calling him a “failed former President of Russia” who was “entering very dangerous territory” with his remarks.

This statement came as Trump also announced a 25% tariff on India, criticizing its “dead economy” and continued defense and energy ties with Moscow.

July 31, 2025” Medvedev retaliated on social media by referencing the “Dead Hand,” a Cold War-era Soviet nuclear retaliation system, in a veiled threat to the US.

He also stated that Trump’s “jittery reaction” proved Russia was “completely in the right” and would continue on its own path.

August 1, 2025 In a further escalation, President Trump announced he had ordered two nuclear submarines to be positioned near Russia in response to Medvedev’s “foolish and inflammatory statements.”

This move highlights the dangerous rhetorical turn the conflict has taken, now including nuclear threats from both sides.

Trump’s remarks came hours after Russian President Vladimir Putin said Moscow had started mass producing its hypersonic nuclear-capable Oreshnik missile.

Putin previously said he could deploy them to Belarus, a close Russian ally neighbouring Ukraine, by year-end.

The US has the largest nuclear-powered submarine fleet in the world, including its lead ship the USS Virginia – a 377-feet long sub, equipped with cruise missiles.

The US has nuclear-powered attack submarines that can search for targets.

Several of the US Navy’s vessels are specifically designed for stealth and are able to precisely strike targets with nuclear warheads.

The Western superpower also has larger, nuclear-armed submarines, which do not need to be repositioned as they can reach targets thousands of miles away.

It’s unclear which nuclear submarines will be deployed.

Collage of images showing a Virginia-class nuclear submarine, with specifications.
Vladimir Putin sitting at a table.
President Vladimir PutinCredit: AFP

The nuclear sabre-rattling came against the backdrop of a deadline set by Trump for the end of next week for Russia to take steps to end the Ukraine war or face unspecified new sanctions.

Trump initially gave Putin a 50-day deadline to end the conflict before suddenly shortening it to 10 days from July 29 due to a lack of progress on Moscow’s behalf.

The president also vowed to impose secondary tariffs on Russia if it does not reach a ceasefire agreement by August 8.

Despite the pressure from Washington, Russia’s onslaught against its pro-Western neighbour continues to unfold at full bore.

‘TALK DOESN’T MEAN ANYTHING’

Trump has expressed frustration with Putin, questioning whether the Russian leader really wants peace with Ukraine.

In early July, Trump described having a good conversation with Putin over the phone, only to learn the next that Russia had launched another attack on Ukrainian cities.

“I always hang up, [and] say, ‘Well, that was a nice phone call,'” Trump told reporters.

“And then missiles are launched into Kyiv or some other city, and I say, ‘That’s strange.’

“And after that happens three or four times, you say, the talk doesn’t mean anything.”

Trump reiterated that he was “very unhappy” with Putin since their phone call last week made no progress on the Ukraine peace deal – something the US president has pushed for since returning to power.

The savage attack comes as the US president vowed to send more weapons to Ukraine.

But Putin has snubbed peace and is instead steadily increasing his overnight bombing raids – which could soon hit 1,000 a day.

Volodymyr Zelensky, the Ukrainian president, and European leaders have also voiced their concerns that Putin is not interested in peace.

Zelensky said Putin has the final say in any ceasefire with Russia.

“We understand who makes the decisions in Russia and who must end this war,” the Ukrainian president wrote on X.

“The whole world understands this too. The United States has proposed this.

“Ukraine has supported it. What is needed is Russia’s readiness.”

Donald Trump in a blue suit.
Trump has expressed frustration with PutinCredit: Getty

You May Also Like

Flames’ Ethan Wyttenbach Sets Big Goals for Sophomore Year - Internewscast Journal

Flames’ Ethan Wyttenbach Sets Big Goals for Sophomore Year

Ethan Wyttenbach is eager for the moment when his NHL opportunity finally…
Family Checks Vegas Morgues for Missing New York Grandmother - Internewscast Journal

Family Checks Vegas Morgues for Missing New York Grandmother

The daughter of a New York grandmother who disappeared during a trip…
DEA Joins Probe Into Death Case Linked to Hayden Panettiere: Sources - Internewscast Journal

DEA Joins Probe Into Death Case Linked to Hayden Panettiere: Sources

Claims that the Drug Enforcement Administration has joined an investigation into the…
Melania Trump Teams Up With IndyCar to Expand Scholarships for Foster Youth - Internewscast Journal

Melania Trump Teams Up With IndyCar to Expand Scholarships for Foster Youth

WASHINGTON — Melania Trump is set to unveil a fresh slate of…
Two missing children rescued from trailer as police arrest babysitter on kidnapping charges

Missing Children Found in Trailer; Babysitter Arrested for Kidnapping

Police rescue kidnapped baby and toddler from hot Atlanta trailer Atlanta police…
Dramatic Video Shows Civilians in Mass Shooting Simulation - Internewscast Journal

Dramatic Video Shows Civilians in Mass Shooting Simulation

The training exercise quickly took a chaotic turn. A Florida sheriff’s office…
Outrage as Pasadena Mailman Caught on Video Attacking Peacock - Internewscast Journal

Outrage as Pasadena Mailman Caught on Video Attacking Peacock

PASADENA, Calif. — A Pasadena neighborhood is upset after video surfaced showing…
Karmelo Anthony Prosecutor Reveals Evidence Jury Never Saw - Internewscast Journal

Karmelo Anthony Prosecutor Reveals Evidence Jury Never Saw

Hours before Austin Metcalf was fatally stabbed, Karmelo Anthony’s former girlfriend had…
Walmart to Use $2.9 Billion in Tariff Refunds to Cut Prices for Shoppers - Internewscast Journal

Walmart to Use $2.9 Billion in Tariff Refunds to Cut Prices for Shoppers

Walmart is putting billions of dollars from tariff refunds back into price…
Murder Convict Accused of Selling Drugs to Minors Near Texas Schools - Internewscast Journal

Murder Convict Accused of Selling Drugs to Minors Near Texas Schools

Pirro announces major drug bust near DC school U.S. Attorney Jeanine Pirro…
Karmelo Anthony Scores Legal Victory as Trial Judge Is Removed From Appeal - Internewscast Journal

Karmelo Anthony Scores Legal Victory as Trial Judge Is Removed From Appeal

Karmelo Anthony, who was previously convicted in the murder of 17-year-old Austin…
U.S. Sanctions Crack Down on Ecuador Cocaine Smuggling Network - Internewscast Journal

U.S. Sanctions Crack Down on Ecuador Cocaine Smuggling Network

Washington — The United States announced a new round of sanctions Thursday…