Share this @internewscast.com

WASHINGTON — Former President Donald Trump on Thursday pleaded with the Supreme Court to allow him to remain on the Republican primary ballot in Colorado as he seeks to overturn a state ruling that found him ineligible because of his role leading up to the Jan. 6. attack on the Capitol.

Trump’s lawyers filed a brief laying out his position ahead of oral arguments scheduled for Feb. 8.

The Colorado Supreme Court ruled on Dec. 19 that a clause in the Constitution’s 14th Amendment that prohibits “an officer of the United States” who “engaged in insurrection” from running for various federal offices applied to Trump.

The case raises various previously undecided legal questions, including whether the constitutional language applies to those running for president and who gets to decide whether someone engaged in insurrection.

In Thursday’s filing, Trump’s lawyers touched upon those themes, saying that a president is not an “officer of the United States,” that Trump did not “engage in insurrection” and that only Congress can enforce the provision in question.

“The court should put a swift and decisive end to these ballot-disqualification efforts, which threaten to disenfranchise tens of millions of Americans and which promise to unleash chaos and bedlam if other state courts and state officials follow Colorado’s lead and exclude the likely Republican presidential nominee from their ballots,” Trump’s lawyers wrote.

The state high court’s decision reversed a lower court’s ruling in which a judge said that Trump had engaged in insurrection by inciting the riot on Jan. 6 but that presidents are not subject to the insurrection clause of the 14th Amendment because they are not an “officer of the United States.”

The state court said its ruling would remain on hold indefinitely once Trump appealed to the U.S. Supreme Court.

Interest in the Colorado case was heightened when Maine’s top election official concluded that Trump was ineligible to appear on the Republican primary ballot in that state, too. That case was put on hold, meaning Trump remains on the ballot for now, and Trump’s appeal has also been stayed pending resolution of the Supreme Court case.

The high court’s ruling could have ramifications in all 50 states, a point made on Thursday by Michigan Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson, a Democrat, who filed a friend-of-the-court brief stressing the need for a definitive decision on the issue. She mentioned that a similar challenge was filed in Michigan and although it failed in relation to the Republican primary, it could be revived for the general election in November.

“These questions must be fully answered now because election officials, like the Secretary, need to know whether the former president is eligible to appear on the ballot as a candidate, and voters deserve to know whether he is eligible to hold the office of president before casting their votes,” Benson’s lawyers wrote. Benson did not take a position on whether Trump should be deemed ineligible.

Dozens of other briefs have been filed in the case so far, including one backing Trump submitted by 179 Republican members of Congress led by House Speaker Mike Johnson, R-La., and Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky.

The initial lawsuit was filed on behalf of six Colorado voters by the left-leaning government watchdog group Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington and two law firms. They and their supporters have a Jan. 31 deadline to file their own briefs to the Supreme Court.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
Asking Eric: Husband does housework while wife plays online games

Role Reversal: How One Husband’s Chores Empower His Wife’s Gaming Passion

Dear Eric, I am a 47-year-old man who has been married to…
Leaked Texts Tie AG Barr’s Daughter to Candace Owens Blackmail

Explosive Leak: AG Barr’s Daughter Entangled in Candace Owens Blackmail Scandal

Leaked text messages published by Project Veritas have sparked a fresh controversy…
Afghan National Freed Under Biden Program Arrested After TikTok Bomb Threat in Fort Worth

Controversial Release: Afghan National’s TikTok Bomb Threat Shakes Fort Worth After Biden Program Grant

An Afghan national, who entered the United States through President Biden’s Operation…
Browns open to giving Shedeur Sanders 'extended look' as starter

Cleveland Browns Consider Shedeur Sanders for Starting QB Role: An In-Depth Look

Shedeur Sanders may soon find himself leading the Cleveland Browns as their…
Parolee with lengthy criminal history identified in deadly crash that killed Colorado father, 3 children

Parolee with Extensive Criminal Record Involved in Fatal Colorado Crash, Claiming Lives of Father and Three Children

Authorities have identified the victims of a devastating car crash in Colorado…
Massachusetts man accused of beating parents and setting home on fire, leaving them to die

Massachusetts Man Charged with Assaulting Parents and Allegedly Setting Their Home Ablaze

In a deeply unsettling incident, a Massachusetts man has been arrested for…
Zootopia 2: Meet the voices behind some new characters in Disney-animated sequel, including Fortune Feimster and Ke Huy Quan

Disney Unveils New Voices for ‘Zootopia 2’: Fortune Feimster and Ke Huy Quan Join the Animated Sequel

LOS ANGELES — Disney’s highly anticipated “Zootopia 2” is making waves at…
New video emerges of DC National Guard shooting as soldier clings to life

Shocking Footage Released: DC National Guard Incident Leaves Soldier Critically Injured

New video emerges of DC National Guard shooting Fox News correspondent Madeleine…
Giants and Patriots remain as intertwined as ever going into ‘Monday Night Football’

Giants vs. Patriots: A Historic Rivalry Takes Center Stage on Monday Night Football

Few sports rivalries are as deeply connected as that between the Giants…
Apple TV pulls show ahead of premiere over plagiarism accusations

Apple TV Halts Show Launch Amidst Controversy: Plagiarism Allegations Unveiled

The release of the French thriller “The Hunt” on Apple TV has…
Israeli Soldiers Execute Surrendering Palestinians in Jenin Raid

Controversial Jenin Raid: Israeli Soldiers Accused of Executing Surrendering Palestinians

Video from Jenin in the occupied West Bank shows Israeli border police…
Pope Leo tours Istanbul's famous Blue Mosque, declines to pray alongside imam

Pope Leo Visits Istanbul’s Iconic Blue Mosque, Chooses Not to Pray with Imam

Pope Leo XIV visited Istanbul’s renowned Blue Mosque on Saturday, choosing to…