Valley Glen residents fight crime with signs, Flock cameras — but city officials say its illegal
Share this @internewscast.com

Homeowners in Los Angeles are locked in a battle with city officials over the removal of their private security measures, which they claim have successfully deterred criminals. These residents argue that their efforts have helped curb crime in the area.

In the Valley Glen neighborhood of the San Fernando Valley, locals have installed 22 warning signs, infrared license plate readers, and surveillance cameras in response to a series of burglaries attributed to South American gangs.

Debbie Stopeck shared with the California Post that between November 2024 and April 2025, there were 26 break-in incidents. However, the crime spree halted once the security devices were put in place.

The 65-year-old retiree expressed, “We are reclaiming our neighborhood and our sense of security. Last year, a neighbor’s teenage daughter was terrified to attend school after their home was burglarized and everything was taken.”

“Now, children feel safe playing outside,” she continued. “We experienced a drastic drop in crime from 2025 to none, thanks to the installation of these cameras and signs.”

“These are safety signs for the public, warning potential criminals that they are being monitored when they enter our community,” she added.

“The criminals need to know they’re under surveillance when they come into our neighborhood. The signs make them think twice.”

But nit-picking local officials with the LA Department of Transportation have told residents the signs installed on city utility poles break city codes and are illegal.

Stopeck told the Post that LA Mayor Karen Bass and California Governor Gavin Newsom ought to step in and help.

She said: “I would love to hear from Bass or Newsom, but I haven’t heard from anybody yet. I would tell them how I solved the problem.

“I worked for 36 years for the state of California and I was a problem solver.” Bass, said Stopek, should provide exemptions for the signs.

Local city council member for the district, Adrin Nazarian, visited with Stopeck at her home on Friday and in an earlier statement said: “I love the proactive community engagement I’m seeing in neighborhoods like this, and I appreciate the initiative these neighbors have taken to protect their community.

“We’ll be working with the Department of Transportation and community members to make sure that signage is displayed in the manner most appropriate to ensure public safety.”

Nazarian told Stopeck he would try to find a “workable solution.”

She said LAPD officials told her gangs from Colombia and Chile were responsible for the staggering number of break-ins in the area.

The criminals had also been stealing car license plates and breaking into vehicles. “We don’t have that anymore,” she continued.

Residents pay several thousand dollars a year for three licence plate readers and three live-feed cameras which works out to be roughly $220 per year for each family.

The data collected on suspicious vehicles is shared with LAPD. “The cameras are an investment,” said Stopek. “My neighbors feel they are worthy and obviously make a huge difference.

“I’ve lived in the same house all my life. I played here as a kid. I want my street to be safe for neighbors who have children to play without fear of being robbed.

“The camera and the signs have united our streets. “The city can’t protect us. People voted with the whole Me Too movement and the Black Lives Matter movement to defund the police.

“That resulted in a wave throughout the San Fernando Valley as well as Santa Monica, Culver City, Westwood and Beverly Hills.


Download The California Post App, follow us on social, and subscribe to our newsletters

California Post News: Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, X, YouTube, WhatsApp, LinkedIn
California Post Sports Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, YouTube, X
California Post Opinion
California Post Newsletters: Sign up here!
California Post App: Download here!
Home delivery: Sign up here!
Page Six Hollywood: Sign up here!


“One of my neighbors was robbed in February last year but LAPD still hasn’t responded. “She can’t even get anybody to answer her emails. They are understaffed. “I worked for a law firm that had more people than that.”

The Post has reached out to Los Angeles Department of Transportation for comment.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
NYC apartment fire kills 1 after firefighters struggle to put out blaze due to blocked hydrant

Tragic NYC Apartment Fire Claims Life Amidst Delays Caused by Obstructed Hydrant

An intense fire claimed the life of an elderly man in a…
Chicago Mayor Brandon Johnson takes aim at Michael Sacks, Rahm Emanuel and more in talk with streamer Hasan Piker, or HasanAbi

Chicago Mayor Brandon Johnson Criticizes Michael Sacks and Rahm Emanuel in Candid Interview with Streamer HasanAbi

If you’re aiming for public office these days, tapping into the youth…
NY GOP urges Hochul to opt in to scholarship tax-break despite teachers union pushback

New York GOP Advocates for Hochul to Support Scholarship Tax Break Amid Teachers Union Opposition

House Republicans from New York are urging Governor Kathy Hochul to enroll…
James Carville launches expletive-filled rant predicting Democrats will defeat GOP 'motherf---ers'

James Carville’s Bold Prediction: Democrats Set to Triumph Over GOP in Fiery, Unfiltered Rant

Seasoned Democratic strategist James Carville delivered a fiery and explicit tirade on…
Producer of hit Israeli TV series 'Tehran' dies suddenly in Greece; found dead in Athens hotel

Tragic Loss: ‘Tehran’ Producer Unexpectedly Passes Away in Athens Hotel

ATHENS, Greece — Dana Eden, the acclaimed Israeli producer renowned for her…
Trump says Board of Peace will discuss how to use $5B raised for Gaza projects: 'Haven't decided yet'

Trump Announces Board of Peace Deliberations on Allocation of $5 Billion for Gaza Initiatives: ‘Decision Pending

WASHINGTON — President Trump announced on Monday that $5 billion in pledges…
Student in custody, another hospitalized after being cut with knife on school bus in Northwest Jacksonville

Northwest Jacksonville School Bus Stabbing: Student Arrested, Another Hospitalized in Knife Attack

The Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office has assured the public that, despite the ongoing…
Australian activist says Billie Eilish got him deported from the US

Australian Activist Claims Billie Eilish’s Influence Led to His U.S. Deportation

In an unexpected twist, an Australian influencer and self-proclaimed “performance artist” has…
Anderson Cooper announces his exit from '60 Minutes'

Anderson Cooper Bids Farewell to ’60 Minutes’ – What’s Next for the Renowned Journalist?

Longtime correspondent Anderson Cooper has announced his departure from CBS’s esteemed newsmagazine…
Billie Eilish Says ‘No One Is Illegal’ — But Her Gates Say Otherwise

Billie Eilish’s Home Security Sparks Debate Amidst ‘No One Is Illegal’ Stance

Billie Eilish’s recent comments at the Grammys were intended to make a…
Thomas Pritzker Leaves Role with Hyatt Hotels over Ties to Epstein

Thomas Pritzker Steps Down from Hyatt Hotels Amid Controversy Over Epstein Connections

Thomas J. Pritzker, the Executive Chairman of Hyatt Hotels Corporation, has announced…
Ken Paxton sues Dallas over alleged failure to fund police as required by Proposition U

Texas AG Ken Paxton Files Lawsuit Against Dallas for Alleged Noncompliance with Proposition U Police Funding Mandate

Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton has initiated legal action against Dallas officials,…