The East Wing demolition was 'jarring.' But a White House history buff sees a silver lining
Share this @internewscast.com


Stewart McLaurin had been anticipating the changes. An entire section of the White House, a landmark he refers to as “the most special, important building on the planet,” was set to be transformed to accommodate a new ballroom, a project initiated by President Donald Trump.

Despite being prepared for this development, McLaurin, who serves as president of the White House Historical Association, was taken aback when he first witnessed images of machinery dismantling the East Wing. The sight left a strong impression on him.

“The reality of seeing changes happen often affects us differently than merely knowing they will,” McLaurin shared in an exclusive conversation with The Associated Press on Tuesday. “It was indeed a bit startling.”

Having led the nonpartisan and nonprofit organization for over a decade, McLaurin remains neutral regarding the modifications. His role, as he puts it, is not to influence the course of events but to record them. “Our job is to document what takes place in this great home we call the White House,” he stated.

Despite the initial shock, McLaurin finds a positive aspect in the upheaval: the images have sparked renewed public interest in the rich history of the White House.

But he said he sees a silver lining from the “jarring” images: they have piqued public interest in White House history.

“What has happened since then is so amazing in that in the past two weeks, more people have been talking about White House history, focused on White House history, learning what is an East Wing, what is the West Wing … what are these spaces in this building that we simply call the White House,” McLaurin said.

Trump demolishes the East Wing

The general public became aware of the demolition work on Oct. 20 after photos of construction equipment ripping into the building began to circulate online, prompting an outcry from Democrats, preservationists and others.

In a matter of days, the entire two-story East Wing — the traditional base of operations for first ladies and their staffs — was gone. The demolition included a covered walkway between the White House, the family movie theater and a garden dedicated to first lady Jacqueline Kennedy.

Trump had talked about building a ballroom for years, and pushed ahead with his vision when he returned to office in January. His proposal calls for a 90,000-square-foot structure, almost twice the size of the 55,000-square-foot White House itself and able to accommodate 1,000 people. The plan also includes building a more modern East Wing, officials have said.

The Republican president ordered the demolition despite not yet having sign-off for the ballroom construction from the National Capital Planning Commission, one of several entities with a role in approving additions to federal buildings and property. The White House has yet to submit the ballroom plans for the commission’s review because it is closed during the government shutdown.

East Wing art and furnishings preserved

It was the job of the White House curator and their staff to carefully remove, catalogue and store the art, the official portraits of former first ladies, and furnishings from the East Wing, McLaurin said.

The White House Historical Association does not have a decision-making role in the construction. But it has been working with the White House to prepare for the changes.

“We had known since late summer that the staff of the East Wing had moved out. I actually made my last visit on the last day of tours on August the 28th,” McLaurin said.

Working with the curator and chief usher, the association used 3D scanning technology “so that every room, space, nook and cranny of the East Wing, whether it was molding or hinges or door knobs or whatever it was, was captured to the -nth degree” to be digitally recreated as an exhibit or to teach the history of that space, McLaurin said.

A photographer also documented the building as it was being taken apart.

It will be a while before any images are available, but McLaurin said items were found when flooring was pulled up and when wall coverings were pulled back that “no living person remembered were there. So those will be lessons in history.”

White House has grown over the years

Trump’s aides have responded to criticism of the demolition by arguing that other presidents have made changes to the White House, too. Trump has said the White House needs a bigger entertaining space.

McLaurin said the building continues to evolve from what it looked like when it was built in 1792.

“There is a need to modernize and to grow,” he said, noting that White House social secretaries for generations have chafed at the space limitations for entertaining. “But how it’s done and how it’s accomplished and what results is really the vision of the president who undertakes that project.”

What the White House Historical Association does

Jacqueline Kennedy created the historical association in 1961 to help preserve the museum quality of the interior of the White House and educate the public. It receives no government funding and raises money mostly through private donations and sales of retail merchandise.

It is not the mission of the association to take a position on construction, McLaurin said. Its primary mandate is preserving the State Floor and some of the historic bedrooms upstairs in the private living quarters, and teaching the history of the White House, which is an accredited museum. The State Floor is made up of the Green, Blue and Red Rooms, the East Room and State Dining Room, the Cross Hall and Grand Foyer.

“Ours is not to support — or to not support,” McLaurin said. “Our is to understand, to get the details.”

Since the demolition, McLaurin said he has seen attendance spike at a free-of-charge educational center the association opened in September 2024 a block from the White House. “The People’s House: A White House Experience” is open seven days a week — including during the current government shutdown.

The educational center saw its busiest days the weekend of Oct. 17-19, with about 1,500 daily visitors, up from a previous average of 900, he said.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
Elon Musk's Starlink crackdown cripples attacks on Ukraine as Russian casualty rates soar

Elon Musk’s Starlink Restrictions Impact Ukrainian Efforts Amid Rising Russian Casualties

WASHINGTON — Elon Musk’s SpaceX has taken decisive action against Russia by…
Shipwreck hunter finds luxury steamer that sank in Lake Michigan in 1872

Historic Luxury Steamer Discovered in Lake Michigan After 1872 Sinking

In a groundbreaking discovery, researchers announced on Friday that they have located…
Billboard targeting James Charles reignites sexual misconduct accusations

Explosive Billboard Sparks Renewed Allegations Against Influencer James Charles

In Los Angeles, a new billboard has emerged, bringing back to public…
Hiker dies near summit of New York's tallest peak after slipping off trail

Tragic Fall on New York’s High Peaks: Hiker’s Journey Ends Near State’s Tallest Summit

A tragic accident claimed the life of a 21-year-old hiker who fell…
Colin Gray trial: Opening statements start in the trial of a Georgia Apalachee High School shooting suspect's father

Opening Statements Commence in Colin Gray Trial, Father of Georgia Apalachee High School Shooting Suspect

In the quiet town of Winder, Georgia, a courtroom is poised to…
'Who gives a s--t who owns Greenland?'

Greenland Ownership Debate: Why the Island’s Future Matters More Than Ever

Senator Lindsey Graham from South Carolina brushed off concerns from Europe regarding…
New Mexico mother accused of drowning newborn in portable toilet after giving birth

Tragic Incident: New Mexico Mother Charged with Newborn’s Death in Portable Toilet

A woman from New Mexico is facing serious charges after allegedly giving…
Heartless nut trashes NYC's Uncle Jack's on Valentine's Day

Outrage as NYC’s Beloved Uncle Jack’s Faces Unthinkable Valentine’s Day Vandalism

Perhaps he was in need of a hug. In the early hours…
Trump says Board of Peace will discuss how to use $5B raised for Gaza projects: 'Haven't decided yet'

Trump Announces Board of Peace Deliberations on Allocation of $5 Billion for Gaza Initiatives: ‘Decision Pending

WASHINGTON — President Trump announced on Monday that $5 billion in pledges…
TSA agents working without pay as funding for DHS stalls

TSA Agents Face Unpaid Work Amid DHS Funding Delay

Early Saturday, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) was forced to…
2026 NBA All-Star Game was a success — right until it wasn’t

2026 NBA All-Star Game Thrills Fans Before Unexpected Turn of Events

The 2026 NBA All-Star Game initially dazzled audiences before taking an unexpected…
Trump vows feds won't pay for Gateway tunnel overruns, denies wanting to rename Penn Station after himself

Trump Declares Federal Funds Won’t Cover Extra Costs for Gateway Tunnel, Dismisses Penn Station Renaming Rumors

WASHINGTON — On Monday, President Trump declared that he would not allow…