Deadly bacteria warning for meal sold at Walmart and Trader Joe's

Federal health authorities have issued a public health warning concerning two types of frozen pasta meals available at Walmart and Trader Joe’s, due to potential contamination with a harmful bacteria.

The US Department of Agriculture (USDA) reported on Thursday that the Marketside Linguine with Beef Meatballs & Marinara Sauce, found in Walmart locations across the United States, has tested positive for Listeria monocytogenes. This bacterial strain was responsible for a dangerous outbreak earlier this summer.

This ready-to-eat product is packaged in a 12-ounce see-through plastic tray and contains establishment numbers ‘EST. 50784’ and ‘EST. 47718’ within the USDA inspection label.

Affected products have best-by dates of September 22, 24, 25, 29, 30, and October 1, 2025, according to the warning.

On Friday, the USDA’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) broadened the alert to include the Trader Joe’s Cajun Style Blackened Chicken Breast Fettuccine Alfredo.

The frozen meal is sold in 16-ounce trays with establishment number ‘P- 45288’ and best-by dates of September 20, 24, and 27, 2025. 

Trader Joe’s said stores in California, Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico, and Utah may be affected.

The 'contaminated' ready-to-eat meal comes in a 12-ounce clear plastic tray and bears establishment numbers 'EST. 50784' and 'EST. 47718' inside the USDA inspection mark

The mentioned ‘contaminated’ ready-to-serve meal is packaged in a 12-ounce transparent plastic tray and includes establishment numbers ‘EST. 50784’ and ‘EST. 47718’ in the USDA inspection stamp.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) announced Thursday that Marketside Linguine with Beef Meatballs & Marinara Sauce, sold at Walmart stores nationwide, tested positive for Listeria monocytogenes

On Thursday, the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) stated that the Marketside Linguine with Beef Meatballs & Marinara Sauce sold in Walmart stores nationwide had tested positive for Listeria monocytogenes.

Affected products have best-by dates of September 22, 24, 25, 29, 30, and October 1, 2025, according to the warning

Affected products have best-by dates of September 22, 24, 25, 29, 30, and October 1, 2025, according to the warning

‘We are issuing this guidance in an abundance of caution because testing of another brand with a shared ingredient source indicated this product may have the potential to be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes,’ Trader Joe’s said in a statement on its website.

However, no illnesses linked directly to the two products have been reported, and no recall has been issued. 

FreshRealm, the company that manufactures the Walmart linguine meal, said tests confirmed the presence of Listeria monocytogenes in the beef meatball pasta.

‘FreshRealm held beef meatball marinara linguine meals after they tested positive for the outbreak strain,’ the CDC said Friday.

In its own statement, FreshRealm said, ‘We have long maintained that the source of the listeria was likely an ingredient supplied by a third party.’ 

The ‘contaminated’ ingredient is believed to be linguine pasta sourced from Nate’s Fine Foods of Roseville, California, according to the FSIS warning.

As part of the investigation, one of the manufacturers collected samples of the pre-cooked pasta used in the meals. Tests confirmed contamination with listeria, and further analysis is underway to determine if the strain is genetically linked to the earlier outbreak.

The USDA has since confirmed that the meals may contain the same listeria strain associated with an earlier outbreak tied to chicken fettuccine Alfredo sold at Walmart and Kroger stores – the outbreak resulted in four deaths and at least 20 reported illnesses. 

Listeriosis, the illness caused by Listeria monocytogenes, can lead to severe and sometimes fatal infections, especially in pregnant women, newborns, older adults, and people with weakened immune systems. 

On Friday, the USDA's Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) expanded the alert to include Trader Joe's Cajun Style Blackened Chicken Breast Fettuccine Alfredo (pictured)

On Friday, the USDA’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) expanded the alert to include Trader Joe’s Cajun Style Blackened Chicken Breast Fettuccine Alfredo (pictured)

Trader Joe's said stores in California, Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico, and Utah may be affected

Trader Joe’s said stores in California, Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico, and Utah may be affected

The frozen meal is sold in 16-ounce trays with establishment number 'P- 45288' and best-by dates of September 20, 24, and 27, 2025

The frozen meal is sold in 16-ounce trays with establishment number ‘P- 45288’ and best-by dates of September 20, 24, and 27, 2025

Symptoms include fever, muscle aches, headache, stiff neck, confusion, and convulsions. 

According to the CDC, about 1,600 people contract listeriosis each year in the U.S., and approximately 260 die.

Federal officials are now urging consumers not to eat the affected meals. 

‘Consumers who have purchased these products are urged not to consume them. These products should be thrown away or returned to the place of purchase,’ the FSIS warning states.

Walmart has removed the affected meals from its stores, following guidance from FreshRealm earlier this week. 

Trader Joe’s is offering full refunds to customers who purchased the impacted fettuccine Alfredo.

FSIS says more products could be identified as the investigation continues and is advising consumers to monitor updates on its website.

You May Also Like

Shoreham tragedy: Family died after girl became trapped in fishing net

A family outing at Shoreham beach ended in devastation after three people…

US Secretly Escorts Millions of Oil Barrels Through Strait of Hormuz in High-Stakes Operation

The US has quietly helped move millions of barrels of oil each…

Teen Lifeguard Suffers Spinal Injury in San Diego Drill

A young San Diego lifeguard is facing a long and difficult recovery…

Widow Sues Las Vegas Hotel Over Husband’s Death at Resort

A grieving widow has filed a lawsuit against a Las Vegas resort,…

TV Star Emerges as Surprise Frontrunner to Replace Karoline Leavitt

As a crowded field of would-be contenders worked to get Donald Trump’s…

Sydney Swans Star Isaac Heeney Reportedly at Centre of Alleged Sexual Assault Investigation

Isaac Heeney has emerged as the central figure in a Victoria Police…

Biden FBI Accused of Stunt to Hide Family Crime Claims

Republican senators are pressing senior intelligence and law enforcement officials in the…

Prince Harry Beams as He Breaks Cover Hours After UK Revelation

Prince Harry appeared in buoyant spirits as he was photographed for the…

Forbes 30 Under 30 CEO Killed in Tragic Kenya Helicopter Crash

Roger Duarte, the chief executive previously recognized by Forbes 30 Under 30,…

What Donald Trump’s Close Friend Told Me About His Young Aide

Anyone still unconvinced that parts of the mainstream press instinctively run defense…

Brooklyn Beckham Says Tattoo Tribute to Victoria Beckham Is Almost Gone

Brooklyn Beckham has shown that his once-prominent tattoo tribute to his mother,…

Iran Mulls Strikes on European Military Targets, Report Says

Iran is reportedly examining plans to strike US military targets in Europe…