5.9k Share this
The New South Wales State Emergency Service has defended accusations its instructions to residents in flooded areas have been confusing and delayed.

Areas such as the already devastated Lismore saw evacuation orders cancelled yesterday afternoon, but the emergency escalated again today after a massive thunderstorm saw extreme flash flooding.

The levees at Lismore were overtopped this morning, but some locals said they did not receive an evacuation message until 40 minutes later.

A woman walks her dog on a flooded road in Lismore, NSW
A woman walks her dog on a flooded road in Lismore, NSW (Getty)

Some told 2GB they were relying on Facebook groups for updates, with the city’s mayor also saying social media was providing the latest updates.

“You can’t rely on the SES and the Bureau at the moment,” Lismore Mayor Steve Krieg told Ben Fordham.

Jacqui Lewis from Mullumbimby said “We were told nothing”.

She said families flooded weeks ago were now being hit again in what were supposed to be safe areas.

“It’s a disaster site,” she said.

Plus Lismore’s emergency sirens are not working.

Local Labor MP Justine Elliott warned residents in the town the sirens wouldn’t sound, on social media.

“Sirens will not sound there is a malfunction. You must get out now,” she said.

NSW Emergencies Minister Stephanie Cooke said they were trying to restore infrastructure as quickly as they could after the previous floods.

A car is inundated by floodwater in Lismore, NSW.
The levees at Lismore were overtopped this morning, but some locals said they did not receive a message saying so until 40 minutes later. (Getty)

SES Deputy Commissioner Daniel Austin said the organisation did warn the levee could breach, and that the storm had been too unpredictable to anticipate.

“The messaging has also been through the night, and over the last few days, to stay aware of your surroundings, and to be across what is coming,” Deputy Commissioner Austin said.

“So we talked yesterday afternoon about the potential for levee overtop. We talked again during the night about the potential for levee overtop.

“Emergency text messages were also issued during the night to the community, and the warnings were also issued during the night.

March 30

Residents watch in horror as town is swallowed by floodwaters

“So we have continued to provide information to those communities.”

Source: 9News

5.9k Share this
You May Also Like

Twitter Will Hide Tweets Sharing ‘False Info’ During a ‘Crisis’

Twitter recently announced a new policy to prevent alleged “misinformation,” stating that…

Council health and safety inspectors urge pubgoers not to bring their own tankards

‘Another blow for the British boozer’: Council health and safety inspectors urge…

Denver Archbishop Commends Decision to Deny Communion to Pelosi

ROME — Denver Archbishop Samuel Aquila released a statement Friday in support…

KATE MUIR freaks out at a psychedelic banquet of David Bowie footage in Moonage Daydream

Spotlight on a shy chameleon who became the Da Vinci of pop:…

Election day voting begins as voting opens in Australia’s eastern states

Thousands of voters have lined up outside polling booths to get their…

The Victorian seats still in limbo as postal votes are counted

The future leadership of five Victorian seats, particularly former Liberal deputy leader…

Afghan Accused of Sexually Abusing Two Ukrainian Refugee Children

An Afghan migrant who worked as security at German asylum accommodation has…

‘Utterly Shameful’ a Teen Girl was Bullied Into Leaving School for Questioning Transgender Ideology

Harry Potter novelist J.K. Rowling is standing up for a teenage girl…