Share this @internewscast.com


In a bid to ease ongoing tensions, the United States and Iran are scheduled to engage in diplomatic discussions in Oman on Friday. These talks are part of a broader effort to address the strained relations between the two nations.

The agenda for the meeting remains a contentious issue. Iran is firm on focusing solely on its nuclear program, while the United States is pushing to include topics such as human rights and Iran’s missile capabilities.

German Chancellor Friedrich Merz, during his recent visit to the Gulf region, expressed “great concern” over the potential for conflict escalation with Iran. He conveyed these worries during meetings with regional officials.

At a press conference in Doha, Merz, representing a US ally, called on Iran to cease what he described as aggressive behavior and to contribute to regional stability.

This dialogue comes amidst heightened hostilities between the US and Iran, following Iran’s harsh suppression of anti-government protests. These demonstrations have been the most significant challenge to the Iranian regime since the 1979 Islamic Revolution.

In recent weeks, the Middle East has witnessed a notable increase in US military presence. This military build-up includes the recent incident where a US military action shot down an Iranian drone, which was reported to have approached an aircraft carrier in an “aggressive” manner.

The discussions were initially to be held in Türkiye, but Iran pushed for a venue change because it wanted a continuation of previous talks in Oman that solely focused on its nuclear program.

Iran says its nuclear activities are for peaceful purposes, while the US — which struck Iranian nuclear targets last year — and Israel have accused it of seeking to develop nuclear weapons.

Trump’s son-in-law, Jared Kushner, is expected to take part in the Oman talks, along with US special envoy to the Middle East Steve Witkoff and Iranian foreign minister Abbas Araghchi, officials said.

“If the Iranians want to meet, we’re ready,” US secretary of state Marco Rubio said on Wednesday.

Rubio said the talks needed to include the range of Iran’s ballistic missiles, its support for armed proxy groups and human rights, in addition to nuclear issues.

However, senior Iranian officials said Iran’s missile program was “off the table” and US insistence on broaching other subjects would jeopardise discussions.

Doubts were raised if the talks would even take place, with leaders of both countries trading barbs.

Asked on Wednesday if Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei should be worried, US President Donald Trump said: “I would say he should be very worried. Yeah, he should be.”

Araghchi left for Oman on Thursday. His spokesperson Esmail Baghaei said Tehran would engage “with authority and with the aim of reaching a fair, mutually acceptable and dignified understanding on the nuclear issue”.

“We hope the American side will also participate in this process with responsibility, realism and seriousness,” Baghaei added.

Last week, Araghchi warned that Iran’s armed forces had “their fingers on the trigger” in response to any potential aggression.

— With additional reporting by Reuters news agency


For the latest from SBS News, download our app and subscribe to our newsletter.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Trump Convenes Inaugural ‘Board of Peace’ Meeting, Pledges Aid for Gaza

Key Points Donald Trump inaugurated his “Board of Peace” with a pledge…

Ukrainian Officials Boycott Paralympics: Unveiling the Controversial Decision Stirring Global Attention

In brief Both Russia and Belarus were subject to a blanket ban…
Prince Andrew, Duke of York during the funeral of Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh at Windsor Castle on April 17, 2021 in Windsor, England

Breaking Down the Key Events Leading to Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s Arrest: A Comprehensive Timeline

The arrest of a man in his 60s in Norfolk by Thames…
Prince Andrew, Duke of York, King Charles III and Prince William, Prince of Wales

King Charles Responds to Brother Andrew’s Arrest: What You Need to Know

On the morning of his 66th birthday, the former Prince Andrew was…
Australia's closest ally has raised the alarm over the Coalition's leadership turnover, even joking it may not be worth building a relationship with the new shadow foreign minister. New Zealand foreign minister Winston Peters says he is 'aghast' at the 'inexcusable' turmoil in Australian political ranks, which he attributes to 'ego'. Mr Peters is now in his third stint as New Zealand's top diplomat, having served in the governments of Helen Clark, Jacinda Ardern and, currently, Christopher Luxon.

New Zealand Foreign Minister Criticizes Australia: Diplomatic Tensions Rise in Trans-Tasman Relations

Australia’s closest ally has voiced concerns over the frequent changes in the…
coles trolley

Court Testimony Highlights Supermarket Giant’s Genuine Commitment to Customer Care

The supermarket colossus, Coles, is embroiled in a storm of controversy over…
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office

Breaking News: Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor Arrested for Alleged Misconduct in Public Office

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has been taken into custody under suspicion of misconduct in…

Unexpected Canine Competitor Steals the Show at Olympic Sprint Event

In Brief A Czechoslovakian wolfdog named Nazgul bolted onto the track during…
A police investigation is underway after this disturbing note was sent to Lakemba Mosque

Controversial Letter Sent to Australia’s Largest Mosque on the Eve of Ramadan

A chilling death threat sent to Australia’s largest mosque has heightened tension…
US ready for military strike this weekend, sources say

US Prepared for Potential Military Action This Weekend, Insider Sources Reveal

The US military is prepared to strike Iran as early as this…
The robots at the Chinese New Year Gala performed alongside several child performers in a routine lasting almost five minutes.

Robots Execute Backflips and Advanced Martial Arts in Dazzling Display

Robots performing backflips and wielding nunchucks have wowed audiences during China’s annual…
President Donald Trump speaks to reporters aboard Air Force One shortly before takeoff, Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026, at Joint Base Andrews, Md.

Donald Trump Expresses Deep Sadness Over Andrew’s Arrest

“I believe it’s a real pity. It’s a great misfortune and quite…