White House ballroom construction begins with East Wing demolition

The East Wing of the White House saw partial demolition on Monday as construction commenced on a new $250 million ballroom. This ambitious project, however, has yet to receive approval from the National Capital Planning Commission, the authority responsible for sanctioning such developments. President Trump announced that the funding for this endeavor would come from private sources, including “many generous Patriots, Great American Companies, and, yours truly.”

In a statement shared on his social media platform, Trump expressed enthusiasm about the project, saying, “I am pleased to announce that ground has been broken on the White House grounds to build the new, big, beautiful White House Ballroom. Completely separate from the White House itself, the East Wing is being fully modernized as part of this process, and will be more beautiful than ever when it is complete!”

President Trump also claimed the construction of a ballroom was a long-standing wish of his predecessors over the last 150 years, and he took pride in being the one to finally bring it to fruition.

People watch as work crews demolish the facade of the East Wing of the White House on October 20, 2025 in Washington, DC. (Photo by Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images)
People watch as work crews demolish the facade of the East Wing of the White House on October 20, 2025 in Washington, DC. (Photo by Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images)

Meanwhile, construction activities echoed through the grounds as Trump hosted the 2025 college baseball champions, Louisiana State University and LSU-Shreveport, in the East Room. This part of the White House, primarily utilized by the First Lady and her staff, was originally added in 1902 and underwent renovations 40 years later.

In a statement released on July 35, the White House described the new ballroom as “a much-needed and exquisite addition of approximately 90,000 total square feet of ornately designed and carefully crafted space,” initially expected to accommodate 650 guests. However, Trump recently indicated at a business leaders’ dinner that the ballroom’s capacity would be expanded to nearly 1,000 visitors due to a change in plans.

The White House claimed in a July 35 statement the ballroom will be “a much-needed and exquisite addition of approximately 90,000 total square feet of ornately designed and carefully crafted space” that seats 650 people. But Trump said at a dinner for business leaders last week the project will seat nearly 1,000 visitors due to a change in plans.

It’s not clear if the White House submitted its ballroom plans for the planning commission to review. That group’s offices are closed due to the government shutdown that began Oct. 1.

White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt said in July when the ballroom was announced that “Nothing will be torn down.”

With News Wire Services

You May Also Like

Shirley MacLaine, 92, Makes Rare Appearance in Moving Video

Shirley MacLaine gave longtime admirers a welcome surprise this week, appearing in…

Erin Patterson Appeals Three Murder Convictions in Australia Mushroom Poisoning of Elderly Relatives

Convicted triple murderer Erin Patterson returned to court Wednesday to challenge her…

Florida Mom Accused of Burning Daughters With Hot Wax, Starting Fire

A Miami mother is facing serious allegations after authorities said she poured…

Tennis Fans React as Venus Williams Receives US Open Wild Card at 46

Venus Williams is poised to make another memorable appearance at the US…

Widow Sues Las Vegas Hotel Over Husband’s Death at Resort

A grieving widow has filed a lawsuit against a Las Vegas resort,…

Natalie Harp Rode in SUV Trunk to Stay Close to Trump

Natalie Harp, Donald Trump’s executive assistant, once traveled in the trunk of…

Erin Patterson Lawyers Reveal Catastrophic Blunder in Mushroom Murder Case

Convicted mushroom murderer Erin Patterson has launched a final bid to overturn…

Fatal Attraction Icon Glenn Close, 78, Stuns Fans With Glamorous New Look

Anne Archer, the Oscar-nominated actress who helped define one of the biggest…

Lindsay Clancy’s Psych Ward Feelings About Husband Patrick

Lindsay Clancy’s modest home on Summer Street in Duxbury was once meant…

Police Swarm SC Home Tied to Hayden Panettiere’s Boyfriend

Police were seen arriving Wednesday morning at a South Carolina residence connected…

Trump Aide Caught in Foul-Mouthed Explosion During Meltdown

It was the sort of spotlight Washington usually directs at presidents, celebrities…

Experts Warn Nationwide Blackout Could Last 18 Months

The United States could face a nationwide blackout lasting as long as…