Donald Trump's Wednesday appeal is in response to a Friday court decision that ruled New York State Attorney General Letitia James' investigation could continue
Share this @internewscast.com


Donald Trump is challenging a federal judge’s decision to throw out his lawsuit against New York state Attorney General Letitia James, a new court filing stated on Wednesday.

The former president is responding to a ruling made less than a week ago on Friday by US District Judge Brenda Sannes, who was appointed to the bench by Barack Obama in 2014.

Trump also attacked James on his social media app, Truth Social, writing: ‘I believe that racist and corrupt A.G. James is pushing businesses and wealthy people to leave N.Y. for friendly states. Not sustainable by [New York State].’

He frequently disparages her investigation as a ‘witch hunt.’ 

James was slapped with a lawsuit from Trump in December in a bid to block her three-year civil investigation into his family real estate empire, which the state Attorney General said has uncovered ‘substantial’ evidence of tax fraud.

The ruling was the latest in a string of legal setbacks the former president is facing in his attempts to block New York’s investigation.

He was also forced to pay $110,000 to James’ office last month as one of his requirements to purge a contempt charge that was granted after he failed to hand over personal financial documents that prosecutors were seeking in their probe.

And the day before Sannes’ decision, a fellow judge of hers on the US District Court for the Northern District of New York sided with James in ruling that Trump and his two eldest children must testify in her investigation.

Donald Trump's Wednesday appeal is in response to a Friday court decision that ruled New York State Attorney General Letitia James' investigation could continue

James' office has been investigating Trump since 2019

Donald Trump’s Wednesday appeal is in response to a Friday court decision that ruled New York State Attorney General Letitia James’ investigation could continue

Trump claimed James is acting out of political ‘animus’ because of her many statements pledging to take Trump on in court. He also argued that James’ probe violates his Constitutional rights. 

But in Friday’s court decision, Sannes said Trump’s legal team had failed to provide any concrete evidence that James was acting in bad faith and their arguments were not ‘sufficient’ to prove that claim.

‘The fact that defendant’s public statements reflect personal and/or political animus toward plaintiffs is not, in and of itself, sufficient’ enough to prove an investigation itself is biased, her decision read.

Earlier this year James said she uncovered proof that the Trump Organization had been using knowingly misleading financial statements to obtain favorable loans and deals for at least a decade.

The company would allegedly overstate the value of its properties to appear better to banks and then lower them to reduce tax bills.

She celebrated Sannes tossing out Trump’s ‘frivolous lawsuit’ on Twitter Friday. 

‘In a big victory, a federal court has dismissed Donald Trump’s baseless lawsuit to stop my office’s investigation into his and the Trump Organization’s financial dealings,’ James said. 

‘Frivolous lawsuits won’t stop us from completing our lawful, legitimate investigation.’ 

James' office claims to have uncovered 'substantial evidence' that the Trump Organization knowingly used misleading financial statements in its business dealings for at least a decade

James’ office claims to have uncovered ‘substantial evidence’ that the Trump Organization knowingly used misleading financial statements in its business dealings for at least a decade

DailyMail.com sent James’ office a request for comment on Trump’s latest filing.

Andrew Amer,  a special litigation counsel in James’ office, said her probe was ‘nearing the end’ during a hearing related to the current case last month.

On Thursday last week, judges on the appellate division of New York state’s trial court upheld a February 17 ruling by state Supreme Court Judge Arthur Engoron that said Trump, Donald Trump Jr. and Ivanka Trump had to testify in front of James’ team. 

Engoron had overruled Trump’s concerns that being deposed would violate his constitutional right against self-incrimination. 

The former president and his two adult children were subpoenaed by James’ office late last year. 

They challenged the order in court, claiming that any information her team gains could be unfairly used in a separate but parallel criminal probe being run by the Manhattan District Attorney’s office.

But the Thursday court filing claimed ‘the existence of a criminal investigation does not preclude civil discovery of related facts, at which a party may exercise the privilege against self-incrimination.’

James would be able to bring a civil lawsuit against Trump using the deposition if evidence of wrongdoing was found. She could not file criminal charges due to the nature of her probe.

The criminal investigation, which had begun under former District Attorney Cyrus Vance, lost steam in recent months after it was taken over by new DA Alvin Bragg.

Bragg said in a statement last month that the investigation is still ongoing, but gave few if any details on its progress. A grand jury impaneled for the probe expired at the end of April without any public attempts to extend it.

And Engoron is also the same judge who sided with James in charging Trump with contempt, along with imposing a $10,000 daily fine for every day he did not comply with her subpoena to hand over documents. 

Trump and his attorney had maintained that he did not have the records James was asking for and that he had handed over everything else, while she contended that his reasons were inadequate. 

Share this @internewscast.com