Bayer Leverkusen director reveals how Liverpool won the race for Florian Wirtz in record-breaking £116m move
Share this @internewscast.com

A Bayer Leverkusen director has explained how Liverpool won the race to sign Florian Wirtz in a record-breaking deal.

German Wirtz became the second addition to the Reds’ roster during the summer transfer window after signing a contract on June 20, in a deal that could potentially reach £116 million.

This amount might break the existing British transfer record, which Chelsea set when they acquired Moises Caicedo from Brighton for £115 million two years ago. Nonetheless, Liverpool was willing to spend significant money to secure their target.

Recently, fans have gained some perspective on the transaction from Leverkusen’s angle, as the German team insisted on meeting their price before finalizing the deal.

Speaking to BILD, sporting director Simon Rolfes detailed how Liverpool beat Manchester City and Bayern Munich to the 22-year-old’s signature.

A Bayer Leverkusen director has revealed how Liverpool came to sign Florian Wirtz last month

A Bayer Leverkusen director has revealed how Liverpool came to sign Florian Wirtz last month

Wirtz could become the most expensive signing in British history if the full £116million fee is reached

Wirtz could become the most expensive signing in British history if the full £116million fee is reached

‘Florian’s requirement was that everyone be comfortable with the move,’ he said. ‘He told us, literally, that he hoped Bayer 04 would also be happy with the result.

‘There wasn’t a single moment (where we realised he wanted to leave), but rather a development. Our goal was to extend Florian’s contract and keep him for at least another year. Gradually, we sensed that he was more interested in making a move. 

‘Starting in February and March, the discussions focused more on other clubs and other leagues. We always knew what he thought. We knew from the parents who they were talking to. The clubs from abroad also informed us, and they handled the matter in a highly professional and serious manner.

‘In May, he told us that he had decided to join Liverpool. I believe he’s a very good fit for Liverpool. The club has treated him very seriously. Florian was made to understand that they know exactly why they want him. This approach was a very important aspect of the overall package for him

‘All the clubs that had contacted us in advance were clear about the region in which the transfer would take place. We only negotiated with Liverpool after Florian told us that was his preferred club. It was clear to me from the beginning of the negotiations that it would work out. Of course, everyone is fighting for their position, but it was always respectful.

‘The people at both clubs know each other so well that a face-to-face meeting was not necessary. We handled the transaction over the phone, via email, and via video conference.’

Heartbroken Liverpool players have, meanwhile, been sharing their tributes and memories of Diogo Jota after his death in a car accident at 28.

Jota had been travelling in a car with his brother Andre, 26, who was also a footballer, when the vehicle went off road and the tragic news comes just two weeks after Jota married his long-term girlfriend Rute Cardoso in Porto.

Bayer sporting director Simon Rolfes (left) said that Wirtz told them in May he wanted  to move to Anfield

Bayer sporting director Simon Rolfes (left) said that Wirtz told them in May he wanted  to move to Anfield

Liverpool have, meanwhile, been mourning the death of Diogo Jota after he died in a car accident

Liverpool have, meanwhile, been mourning the death of Diogo Jota after he died in a car accident

The tyre of his Lamborghini, reportedly a £150,000 Urus SUV, is said to have blown out while overtaking on the A-52 at Cernadilla near Zamora in northwestern Spain, close to the border with Portugal.

The supercar came off the road, rolled and then burst into flames at around 12.35am, also igniting the surrounding vegetation.

The emergency services were called but the brothers could not be saved.

Darwin Nunez was the first of the Liverpool players to post, sharing a picture of him and Jota celebrating a goal at Anfield.

The Uruguayan wrote: ‘There are no words to comfort you for so much pain. I will always remember you with your smile, as a good teammate on and off the field.

‘I send all my strength to your family, from where I am sure he will always be with you, especially your wife and three children. RIP Diogo and Andre.’

Luis Diaz added a post to his Instagram story, with Jota holding up the shirt with Diaz on the back at the time the Colombian’s father had been kidnapped. 

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Club World Cup: Battling Extreme Heat with Sniffer Dogs in Crocs for Paw Protection

Last week, Chelsea and Flamengo clashed at Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia…

Brighton Acquires Viral Belgian Left-Back After Champions League Success

Brighton have completed the signing of Maxim De Cuyper from Club Brugge.…

Kyle Walker bids an emotional farewell to Man City, expressing his gratitude despite feeling sidelined by the team. He departs to join Burnley in a surprising £5m move.

Kyle Walker has paid tribute to Manchester City after completing a £5m…

Palmeiras 1-2 Chelsea: Blues Advance to Club World Cup Semifinals After Estevao’s Stunning Goal and Late Own Goal

We’re all familiar with the typical reaction when footballers score against their…

Manchester City’s Club World Cup Woes: Sauna Sessions, Crosswords, and Rayan Cherki’s French Rap Lead to Al Hilal Disaster – What’s Next?

The beach yoga on Florida’s east coast wouldn’t have felt quite so…

Ellie Carpenter, Matildas Star, Faces WSL Competition From Her New Wife Weeks After Beautiful French Wedding

Matildas star Ellie Carpenter has signed for Chelsea on a four-year deal.…

Manchester United Scores Big with Striking Pinstripe Baseball Jersey

Last season, Manchester United might not have amassed as many points as…

Manchester City’s Reign Faces Its Toughest Challenge Yet – and It’s Unstoppable: IAN HERBERT

I’ve rarely had good things to say about Qatar – not too…