Harry and Meghan today dropped a second trailer for their Netflix documentary which launched a fresh volley of barbs against the Royal Family, with the duke concluding the clip by warning, ‘No one knows the full truth – we know the full truth’.
In a one-minute video that will horrify courtiers, Harry hits out at the ‘hierarchy of the family’, claims insiders ‘leaked and planted’ stories about them, describes royal life as a ‘dirty game’ then – after footage of his mother, Diana, and Kate Middleton being hounded by photographers – talks about ‘the pain and suffering of women marrying into this institution’.
During the teaser, a friend is heard claiming that the couple’s experience has been ‘about hatred, about race’ as a strikingly intimate and previously unseen clip flashes up of an exasperated Harry, 38, holding a hand to his face as Meghan passes behind him while heavily pregnant with their daughter, Lili.
After a series of clips of photographers and newspapers being printed, Meghan says, ‘I realised, they’re never going to protect you’ before she is seen once again crying. Harry then adds, ‘I was terrified, I didn’t want history to repeat itself.’
During today’s teaser, a friend is heard claiming that the couple’s experience has been ‘about hatred, about race’ as a strikingly intimate and previously unseen clip flashes up of an exasperated Harry, 38, holding a hand to his face as Meghan passes behind him while heavily pregnant with their daughter, Lili
Today’s teaser opens with a scene of Harry and Meghan in a car, seemingly in America, as the duke says: ‘It’s really hard to look back on it now and go ”what on earth happened?”
It then paints a picture of the couple’s initial popularity, with a news presenter heard describing ‘the sounds of hearts breaking all around the world’ after they announced their engagement, and Piers Morgan says how Meghan was ‘becoming a royal rock star’.
Another scene plays of the Sussexes on a royal walkabout as a member of the public shouts ‘Meghan, we love you!’
At this point, a photo from their wedding appears, before Meghan says, ‘and then…’ and Harry adds, ‘everything changed’.
The tone of the trailer immediately darkens, with a photo flashing up of the Royal Family, including William, Kate, Charles and Queen Elizabeth II as Harry narrates: ‘There’s a hierarchy of the family, you know, there’s leaking, but there’s also planting of stories. It’s a dirty game.’
The couple’s lawyer, Jenny Afia, tells the camera: ‘There was a war against Meghan to support other people’s agendas’ before Christopher Bouzy, a longtime supporter, says, ‘it’s about hatred, it’s about race’.
‘It’s a dirty game,’ Harry says, before the action cuts to footage of Diana being hounded by photographers.
The pain and suffering of women marrying into this institution, this feeding frenzy,’ the duke narrates, as headlines flash up about his mother.
A scene appears of Meghan and Harry in a car as they turn round to see a car following them – a likely reference to paparazzi, before the duchess says: ‘I realised they’re never going to protect you’ and Harry adds, ‘I was terrified, I didn’t want history to repeat itself.’
Finally, Harry appears in a selfie video as he says, ‘No one knows the full truth – we know the full truth’ and the trailer ends.
The docuseries will debut on Thursday, Netflix confirmed today.
In the latest Sussex updates –
The second trailer for the couple’s Netflix series features an undated clip of Princess Diana facing the world’s press at a royal engagement
The new Netlix trailer used video footage of the Princess of Wales (pictured in 2007) outside her home in Chelsea before marrying into the Royal Family
The trailer shows the couple sitting in the back of a car while Meghan’s voiceover says: ‘I realised, “they’re never gonna protect you.”‘
Prince Harry describes life in the Royal Family as a ‘dirty game’ in his new Netflix trailer
While the Duchess kept her pregnancy with her daughter incredibly private at the time, sharing just a few images, two snaps from the period have appeared in trailers for the new documentary.
Billed as a Netflix global event, the streaming giant announced Volume I would be released on December 8 while Volume II will air on December 15.
The Royal Family have tried to put a brave face in recent days by insisting they would not be ‘blown off course’ by the documentary.
Contrary to claims that there are behind-the-scenes ‘crisis talks’ and plans to ‘hit back’ at yet another barrage of claims and accusations, senior royals plan a very much ‘business as usual approach’.
‘We are not going to be blown off course by squalls from across the Atlantic,’ a royal source told the Daily Mail witheringly.
The Mail on Sunday reported yesterday how the King and Queen Consort are ‘wearied’ by the constant attacks from the Duke and Duchess of Sussex.
Buckingham Palace sources said that there was ‘mounting frustration and exhaustion’ at the barrage of complaints that Harry and Meghan relentlessly and publicly make about their alleged treatment by members of the Royal Family.
The late Queen famously made clear that ‘recollections may vary’ over many of the couple’s claims – and that view has not changed.
Throughout the royal households there is a sense of ‘here we go again’ over the series.
But there is hope among the family that the ‘Sussex squall’ will blow itself out by the time the series ends and Harry’s upcoming memoir is published in January.
There is hope among the family that the ‘Sussex squall’ will blow itself out by the time the series ends and Harry’s upcoming memoir is published in January
The Mail on Sunday reported yesterday how the King (pictured today) and Queen Consort are ‘wearied’ by the constant attacks from the Duke and Duchess of Sussex
‘It’s likely to be a difficult few weeks but really after that what on earth more can they have to say?’ another insider asked.
‘It’s all going to start to become very “end of the pier” show if they are not careful, hawking around the same complaints on talk shows and documentaries.
‘Surely a time will come when even they realise they have got to get on with their lives? The rest of the family certainly want to.’
Indeed the King and the Queen Consort have a busy week ahead with several significant and long-planned engagements. Tomorrow the monarch is in Luton meeting community leaders and voluntary organisations who promote inter-faith harmony, something he has been promoting for 50-plus years.
At Luton Town Hall, he will be reunited with Festus Akinbusoye, Bedfordshire’s Police and Crime Commissioner, who was previously supported by his Prince’s Trust.
His Majesty will also visit the newly built Sikh Guru Nanak Gurdwara, speaking to volunteers and learning about their programmes for the community.
On Wednesday, the Queen Consort will invite seriously and terminally ill children from Helen & Douglas House and Roald Dahl’s Marvellous Children’s Charity to decorate the Clarence House Christmas tree.
She holds the magical event each year, personally serving up sausages and mash for the youngsters and this year has arranged a surprise visit from Father Christmas and his reindeer. ‘Their Majesties are getting on with what’s important,’ a source added.
Royal sources told The Mail on Sunday that Charles and Camilla were ‘not worried but wearied’ by the continued outbursts from the Duke and Duchess.
Since quitting as working royals and moving to California, they have criticised the Royal Family in interviews, including a high-profile show with Oprah Winfrey, and recorded the Netflix series.