Al-Hilal CEO opens up on Cristiano Ronaldo's rumoured Club World Cup move after superstar revealed he had 'many offers' to play FIFA's new-look tournament
Share this @internewscast.com

Cristiano Ronaldo’s speculated transfer to Al-Hilal for their Club World Cup stint would have been completely ‘counter-intuitive’, according to the club’s chief executive in a recent interview.

The Portuguese football icon is currently playing for Al-Nassr, competitors in the Saudi Pro League, after joining them following his contentious departure from Manchester United at the end of 2022.

But since moving to Saudi Arabia as the first in a wave of big-money, bold-faced name stars, the player has gone without major honours. 

Al-Hilal was among several suggested destinations for Ronaldo, partly due to FIFA president Gianni Infantino’s surprising remark that the 40-year-old could still participate in the Club World Cup even though his team didn’t qualify.

However, Al-Hilal will face off against Real Madrid on Wednesday in their first match of the tournament without the forward in their something – something executive Esteve Calzada described as always being an impossibility. 

Cristiano Ronaldo had been linked with a speculative short-term move to Saudi rivals Al-Hilal

Cristiano Ronaldo had been linked with a speculative short-term move to Saudi rivals Al-Hilal

FIFA president Gianni Infantino shared that he thought there was a chance the star could play at the Club World Cup

FIFA president Gianni Infantino shared that he thought there was a chance the star could play at the Club World Cup

After two-and-a-half years at Al-Nassr, Ronaldo has failed to win silverware with his new side

After two-and-a-half years at Al-Nassr, Ronaldo has failed to win silverware with his new side

‘We normally don’t comment on players’ situations, particularly because our name is always put out there, when a player or an agent wants to negotiate a better deal with his club, or is trying to move out,’ Calzada told BBC Sport. 

‘It’s been a very weird transfer window, it’s a very short period of time.

‘You don’t want to take a decision thinking about this tournament that then you have to carry on with for the next two or three years.

‘As much as I respect Ronaldo as a huge player, as we all recognise he is, it’s certainly completely counter-intuitive that you bring the biggest player of your biggest opponent to play with you.

‘Even more when it’s only for three to four weeks.’

Ronaldo had announced himself at the start of the month that he would not be participating in FIFA’s flagship club tournament, but stressed that he had received a number of offers. 

‘It’s almost decided that I will not take part at the FIFA Club World Cup despite receiving many invitations and proposals,’ Ronaldo told reporters ahead of his triumphant Nations League campaign. 

‘There have been talks, contacts… but you have to think about short, medium and long term.’

During Portugal's Nations League campaign, the 40-year-old revealed he had received offers

During Portugal’s Nations League campaign, the 40-year-old revealed he had received offers

Al-Hilal will be led in the United States by their new manager Simone Inzaghi (pictured last week)

Al-Hilal will be led in the United States by their new manager Simone Inzaghi (pictured last week)

The former Real Madrid star is instead believed to be mulling a contract extension to keep him at Al-Nassr, where he insisted in December that he was still hungry to win trophies. 

Calzada also opened up on his club’s abortive move for Manchester United captain Bruno Fernandes. 

The midfielder is thought to have been the subject of an eye-popping £200m offer from the Saudi Pro League outfit, but announced at the close of the season that he would be staying with the Red Devils. 

Fernandes had previously hinted that he would move for the good of the club against the backdrop of worsening financial services in the transfer market. 

‘I cannot confirm nor deny that we’ve been interested in him,’ Calzada continued. 

‘He’s a big player, it fits the profile of player that we think would be good for Al-Hilal, just like many others. We’re not refraining from contacting players because we feel they would say no to us.

‘The names we are linked with demonstrate the ambition of the club. We believe that we are in a position to pitch (to) any players nowadays.’

Other standout names that have been linked to the club during the ongoing summer transfer window are believed to include Liverpool’s Darwin Nunez, and Napoli striker Victor Osimhen.  

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Inside Ryan Garcia’s Turbulent Year: From Jail Time to a £15M Jake Paul Offer and a Vow to Triumph Over Barrios

Ryan Garcia has opened up about the tumultuous period in his life…

Shocking Violence at Aston Villa: Swiss Hooligans Attack Police in Disturbing New Footage

Disturbing new video has surfaced showing law enforcement officers being attacked by…

FIFA Unveils New Draw Format: Discover England’s Path to the World Cup Final

England approaches the 2026 World Cup with a significant advantage, as FIFA’s…

Martin O’Neill Confident Wilfried Nancy Will Remain Unaffected by Celtic’s Off-Field Challenges

Martin O’Neill assures that Wilfried Nancy will have a clean slate as…

Antony’s £81m Acquisition Questioned: Jadon Sancho’s £75m Transfer Faces Criticism, Cristiano Ronaldo’s Return Divides Fans – Analyzing Manchester United’s Signings Following Club’s Lowest Value Rating

How poorly has Manchester United fared in the transfer market over the…

Outrage in Football: Dutch Legend Condemns Bullying of Germany’s Angelo Stiller Over Cleft Lip, Sparks Club Apology

Victor Edvardsen of the Go Ahead Eagles has issued an apology following…

From Church Dribbles to Premier League: Estevao Willian’s Divine Journey to Chelsea Stardom

As Arsenal’s defenders prepare to face Estevao Willian, they might soon notice…

How Vincent Kompany Transformed Bayern Munich: The ‘Brutal Truth’ Behind His Coaching Success and Harry Kane’s Revival

Vincent Kompany, the esteemed former center half, still occasionally joins the lads…

Ex-Arsenal and Man City Legend Reveals Unexpected Premier League Striker as Man United’s Key to Forward Line Success

Former Arsenal defender Bacary Sagna has suggested that Manchester United should consider…