Antonio Conte could QUIT Napoli today as he heads for crisis talks after 'dead man' comments - and after calling transfers of Rasmus Hojlund, Kevin De Bruyne and Co 'a mistake'
Share this @internewscast.com

Napoli’s head coach, Antonio Conte, is reportedly preparing for urgent discussions with the club’s leadership following a 2-0 loss to Bologna on Sunday evening.

The reigning Serie A champions have slipped from the top position in the league after suffering defeat at the Stadio Renato Dall’Ara. The match saw Bologna’s Thijs Dallinga and John Lucumi score in the second half, securing the win for their team.

This loss marks Napoli’s fifth defeat across all competitions this season and the third consecutive match where they have failed to score.

In the aftermath of the game, Conte appeared visibly frustrated and openly criticized his team’s performance.

“Losing five games indicates something is amiss,” Conte stated. “Changes are necessary because I refuse to accompany a failing situation. I am willing to take responsibility. At the first sign of adversity, we faltered, and I plan to discuss this with the club.”

Antonio Conte is set for crunch talks with the Napoli board as his future looks uncertain

Antonio Conte is set for crunch talks with the Napoli board as his future looks uncertain 

Napoli lost 2-0 away at Bologna on Sunday and only managed four shots during the game

Napoli lost 2-0 away at Bologna on Sunday and only managed four shots during the game

He added, “I don’t see unity; everyone seems preoccupied with their own issues. We can’t perform heart transplants. Each of us needs to rediscover our passion, spirit, and determination. We must assess how we approach our tasks.”

‘It’s one thing to do your homework, it’s another to play in a team with very high expectations. Everyone is thinking about their own backyard, I had already seen this and so I want to speak well with the club. 

‘We must not forget that after the third Scudetto, Napoli finished tenth but I don’t think this was a great lesson. Sometimes we think that overnight the ugly duckling then becomes a swan. 

‘Last year we did something extraordinary and of absolute value, now we are continuing to work but we have to ask ourselves how, if there is the right enthusiasm and desire or we are basking in the victory of the past and we think we are favorites. 

‘We certainly don’t have the energy of last season, the boys know very well what I think about it. I’m sorry that I’m not managing to change this trend in the four months that have passed, because it means that I’m not doing a good job or someone doesn’t want to hear it.’ 

The latest meltdown comes three weeks after Conte labelled Napoli’s transfer window a ‘mistake’ following a humbling 6-2 defeat to PSV Eindhoven in the Champions League.

Napoli added nine new players to Conte’s squad, including Manchester City legend Kevin De Bruyne and Manchester United outcast Rasmus Hojlund.

‘Last year, we won an extraordinary and incredible championship, where everyone pushed their limits with great unity and unity across the board. This year, however, between playing so many games and bringing in so many players,’ Conte said in late October.

Rasmus Hojlund and Kevin De Bruyne were two of nine summer signings for Napoli

Rasmus Hojlund and Kevin De Bruyne were two of nine summer signings for Napoli 

‘In my opinion, nine new players were too many. We weren’t balanced. I’ve always said this year would be difficult; there are some aspects that need to be absorbed over time.’

Hojlund, who is on loan from Manchester United, started his life in Naples on fire. However, the goals have begun to dry up and with Napoli struggling at the top end of the pitch, he has come in for a lot of criticism. 

The 22-year-old has failed to score since the beginning of October, and his performance against Bologna left little to be desired. He failed to register a shot on target during the 90 minutes, while also picking up a yellow card.

However, despite Hojlund putting in what could be perceived as a poor display, Conte singled the striker out as the only positive of the evening. 

‘Maybe he was the best on the pitch for me,’ Conte continued. ‘He held his own, he attacked the depth. Lucumì struggled to keep him. Then if we close the performance on whether or not to score goals then the situation is different. 

‘We had prepared some things, we should have supported him more. Rasmus managed several balls, we were missing. His game for me was good.’ 

Napoli have now slipped down into fourth in Serie A following the defeat, with Bologna breathing down their necks behind them. 

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

State of Origin Star Opens Up About Heartbreaking Childhood Abandonment and Mother’s Return After NRL Success

Jeremiah Nanai’s rise to prominence in rugby league is a testament to…

Eddie Hearn Expresses Heartbreak as Conor Benn Leaves for Dana White’s New Venture; Unveils Surprising Response to Last-Minute Call Request

Prominent boxing promoter Eddie Hearn has expressed his profound disappointment following Conor…

Inside the Olympic Village: Sophia Kirkby Reveals Love Life Secrets and the Truth Behind the Condom Stash

As the Olympic Games unfold, tales of athletes finding romance amidst fierce…

Rangers Triumph 4-2 Over Hearts in Thrilling Ibrox Clash, Narrowing Gap to Two Points at Table Summit

After enduring a week of harsh criticism, Danny Rohl had every reason…

Team USA Triumphs Over Slovakia 6-2, Prepares for Epic Gold Medal Clash with Canada at Olympics

The U.S. men’s hockey team delivered a commanding performance on Friday, defeating…

Leeds Aims for FA Cup Glory After Narrow Escape at Birmingham: Farke Inspires Team to Legendary Status

It was a memorable day, highlighting that many officials are capable of…

Scotland’s Six Nations Hopes Revitalized by Dramatic Valentine’s Day Victory

Amidst low expectations and mounting pressure, Scotland delivered a stunning performance that…

Turmoil in Marseille: Key Official Resigns Amid Mason Greenwood Controversy, Following Roberto De Zerbi’s Exit

Marseille’s turmoil has deepened following the resignation of their director of football,…