5.9k Share this

Steve Bruce still faces the sack as manager of Newcastle United – but looks set for a reprieve in what would be his 1,000th game in the dugout against Tottenham on Sunday.

It had been indicated that the 60-year-old would be relieved of his duties this week given the club’s new owners feared his presence could have a negative impact during their first match.

But Bruce is scheduled to face the media on Friday afternoon and, even though sources could not confirm if he will still be in charge for Spurs, it would appear likely that he remains for the time being.

Newcastle's Steve Bruce is set for a reprieve as he prepares for his 1000th game as a manager

Newcastle's Steve Bruce is set for a reprieve as he prepares for his 1000th game as a manager

Newcastle’s Steve Bruce is set for a reprieve as he prepares for his 1000th game as a manager

We have been told that the new ownership model – led by Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund and headed on Tyneside by Amanda Staveley – is ‘process driven’ and will be ‘methodical’ in their approach.

However, sources say it would be wrong to accuse the consortium of ‘indecision’ and it is more a case of them doing things ‘properly’, suggesting the situation is a delay as opposed to a change of heart.

Bruce met with Staveley and her husband Mehrdad Ghodoussi at the training ground on Monday and had expected more contact as the week went on. 

But, as of Thursday night, he remained in the dark over his future and the exact terms of his anticipated exit with an £8million payoff are yet to be negotiated.

Bruce met with new director Amanda Staveley and her husband Mehrdad Ghodoussi (pictured at St James' Park last week) at the training ground on Monday

Bruce met with new director Amanda Staveley and her husband Mehrdad Ghodoussi (pictured at St James' Park last week) at the training ground on Monday

Bruce met with new director Amanda Staveley and her husband Mehrdad Ghodoussi (pictured at St James’ Park last week) at the training ground on Monday 

The board’s football advisor, former Liverpool chief scout Frank McParland, has been in at the club this week and is leading the search for Bruce’s replacement.

We have learned that former Arsenal boss Unai Emery and Belgium manager Roberto Martinez are among a host of names who have formed part of discussions, but both are said to have reservations.

Another name which is being pushed is that of ex-Roma boss Paulo Fonseca. Sources say there are concerns given he apparently interviewed poorly at Spurs in the summer, but it is understood some conversations have taken place between the two parties in recent days.

Source: DailyMail Sports

5.9k Share this
You May Also Like

Advantage Tottenham as Arsenal lose to Newcastle United in top-four battle

Arsenal’s Champions League hopes have taken a huge blow with their defeat…

Arsenal reach ‘full agreement’ to sign Sao Paulo winger Marquinhos

Sao Paulo’s winger Marquinhos is heading to Arsenal (AFP via Getty) Arsenal…

Richarlison ‘wants to leave Everton this summer’ as he ‘dreams of playing for titles’

Richarlison ‘wants to leave Everton this summer’ as he ‘dreams of playing…

West Ham icon Mark Noble tells David Moyes NOT to pick him for sentimental reasons in last home game

West Ham legend Mark Noble tells David Moyes NOT to pick him…

Newcastle United face backlash for tweet in support of Jake Daniels

Newcastle United are facing criticism over their Saudi owners as they send…

Erik ten Hag tells Manchester United to sign Chelsea star N’Golo Kante

Erik ten Hag wants to bolster his Manchester United squad this summer…

Robert Lewandowski ‘agrees a three-year deal with Barcelona’ as Bayern Munich exit looms

Robert Lewandowski moves closer to leaving Bayern Munich after ‘agreeing a three-year…

Inside Liverpool’s raucous FA Cup celebrations after sudden-death penalty shootout win over Chelsea

Another ‘Hendo Shuffle’, James Milner’s tears on the team bus… and all…