Massive backflip after mountain closed to protect Aboriginal heritage
Share this @internewscast.com

Australia is preparing to welcome back outdoor enthusiasts to one of its most picturesque hiking trails, which has been inaccessible for half a decade.

Mount Warning, also known as Wollumbin, located near Murwillumbah in New South Wales’ Northern Rivers region, was closed to the public in 2020 as a temporary measure during the Covid-19 pandemic.

Over the years, the closure was repeatedly prolonged with the aim of safeguarding the Indigenous heritage of the site.

Concerns about the trail’s permanent closure arose due to its cultural importance to the local Indigenous communities, leading to widespread debate.

The contentious decision sparked outrage among Australians and prompted protests led by NSW Upper House MP John Ruddick and Marc Hendrickx from the advocacy group Right to Climb.

In an effort to thoroughly evaluate the future of the site, the NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service extended the trail’s closure until December 31 last year.

On Monday, NSW Environment Minister Penny Sharpe announced the closure would be overturned.

However, hiking enthusiasts will have to wait until July 2027 before the trail is reopened to the public.   

One of Australia's most scenic mountain trails is set to be re-opened after it was closed to the public for five years

One of Australia’s most scenic mountain trails is set to be re-opened after it was closed to the public for five years

Sharpe explained the period before the trail is reopened to the public would allow time for a thorough resolution to any issues. 

‘Over the past year, I continued constructive discussions with a wide range of stakeholders, including user groups, councils, the Wollumbin Consultative Group and other community members,’ she said. 

‘These conversations highlighted Wollumbin’s significance to Aboriginal communities and the wider public.  

‘I understand extending the temporary closure will disappoint some visitors. 

‘However, a number of practical challenges – such as ensuring safe access – must still be addressed.

‘The additional time will help us create a clear plan for the future of this special place that respects cultural responsibilities and safeguards visitor safety.’

Mr Hendrickx welcomed the news, but said he had some reservations as to the conditions of its reopening. 

‘We will need to see what conditions are attached,’ he told The Courier Mail.

Mount Warning - also known as Wollumbin - near Murwillumbah, in the NSW Northern Rivers, has been off-limits to the public after it was 'temporarily' closed during the Covid pandemic in 2020

Mount Warning – also known as Wollumbin – near Murwillumbah, in the NSW Northern Rivers, has been off-limits to the public after it was ‘temporarily’ closed during the Covid pandemic in 2020

‘If people can visit the summit without having to pay exorbitant fees or be forced to join a tour then that’s great news.’

Mr Hendrickx has lobbied the NSW government for years to reopen the trail after the summit was shut down in 2020. 

Once visited by 120,000 visitors visitors every year, Mount Warning is the highest peak at Australia’s most easterly point and is the first part of the nation each day to get sunlight.  

The summit trail was shut down in 2020 after the Wollumbin Consultative Group successfully petitioned the then Liberal state government to ban access to non-Aboriginal Australians.

The group, made up of Indigenous families and community organisations, stated the trail has cultural and spiritual significance to the Bundjalung men.

The group also claimed allowing females – including those of indigenous heritage – on the site would ruin its cultural significance.  

Mr Hendrickx, who authored A Guide to Climbing Mt Warning, was among dozens of protesters who climbed the mountain on Australia Day this year. 

Three months later, the prominent activist became the first person to be fined for climbing the mountain since the hiking ban was enacted.

Mr Hendrickx copped a $300 fine for breaching the National Parks and Wildlife Regulation 2019 for entering ‘a park that is closed to the public’. 

The engineering geologist previously told Daily Mail the move to ban visitors to the site goes against the values Australians uphold. 

‘Access to these wonderful natural places is part of what really underlies and builds our Australian character,’ Mr Hendrickx said.  

‘If we were unable to access these places, then really it’s like an attack on being Australian.’

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

King Charles Voices Grave Concern Following Prince Andrew’s Arrest: A Royal Family Crisis Unfolds

The King expressed his ‘deepest concern’ following the arrest of his brother,…

Is Prince Andrew’s Downfall the Tipping Point for the House of Windsor’s Future?

Wood Farm holds a cherished spot in the hearts of the Royal…

Two Sisters Identified as Victims in Lake Tahoe Avalanche Tragedy

Tragedy struck the slopes of Castle Peak Mountain near Lake Tahoe, California,…

Breaking News: Andrew Tate’s Surprising Release from Police Custody Captured in Exclusive Photos

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has been released from police custody after being taken into…

NASA Unveils Critical Issues Behind 9-Month Astronaut Stranding

NASA has wrapped up its inquiry into the 2024 Starliner incident that…

Royal Shock: Andrew’s Arrest Unveiled as Police Keep Raid Hidden from Palace

A police convoy has made its way to Royal Lodge in Windsor…

Shocking: Dentist Arrested for Allegedly Performing Child Surgery Under the Influence

A dentist in Texas has been apprehended for allegedly conducting surgery on…

Mountain Tragedy: Man Convicted in Chilling Abandonment Case of Girlfriend

A climber who left his girlfriend to perish on a frigid mountain…

Steven Spielberg Plans to Relocate from California in Response to Proposed Wealth Tax

Hollywood icon Steven Spielberg has joined the growing list of billionaires departing…

Florida Airport Set to Honor Donald Trump with Renaming Initiative

A significant change is on the horizon for one of Florida’s primary…

Hollywood Mourns: Tributes Pour in for ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ Star Eric Dane Following His Passing at 53

Eric Dane’s untimely death at 53 has left his celebrity friends and…

Unveiling the Alexander Brothers Trial: Unexpected Revelations and Shocking Insights from Court Proceedings

As the sex trafficking trial of the Alexander brothers drags on in…