President Trump directs Pentagon to use 'all available funds' to ensure US military troops are paid despite government shutdown
Share this @internewscast.com

WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump announced on Saturday that he has instructed the Defense Department to utilize “all available funds” to ensure U.S. troops receive their pay on Wednesday despite the ongoing government shutdown. This temporary solution, however, does not extend to the hundreds of thousands of federal workers who have been furloughed.

Trump said in a social media post that he was acting because “our Brave Troops will miss the paychecks they are rightfully due on October 15th.”

This directive from the Republican president removes a key pressure point that could have compelled Congress to act, likely prolonging the shutdown—which has now reached day 11—into a third week or even longer. However, no similar measures appear to be in place for federal employees who are also working without pay, with thousands now facing layoffs due to the halted government operations. The White House budget office initiated these layoffs on Friday.

Trump attributed the situation to the Democrats and asserted his authority as commander in chief to instruct Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth “to use all available funds to get our Troops PAID on October 15th.” He further stated, “We have identified funds to do this, and Secretary Hegseth will use them to PAY OUR TROOPS.”

U.S. service members risked missing their upcoming paycheck on Wednesday after the government ceased operations on October 1st, coinciding with the start of the federal budget cycle. With about 1.3 million active-duty service members, the possibility of troops not being compensated has been a critical issue during discussions among lawmakers on Capitol Hill regarding the shutdown’s adverse effects.

Trump did not say where he’s getting the money.

One potential funding source could be the billions of dollars allocated to the Defense Department following Trump’s significant tax and spending cut legislation, which he enacted in July. The Congressional Budget Office indicated that such a funding reallocation was feasible.

President Donald Trump walking off stage after speaking to a gathering of top U.S. military commanders at Marine Corps Base Quantico, Tuesday, Sept. 30, 2025, in Quantico, Va.
President Donald Trump walking off stage after speaking to a gathering of top U.S. military commanders at Marine Corps Base Quantico, Tuesday, Sept. 30, 2025, in Quantico, Va.(AP Photo/Evan Vucci)

A spokesperson for the White House Office of Management and Budget said Pentagon research and development funds would be used to pay the salaries.

Federal employees typically receive back pay once a shutdown concludes, as mandated by a law Trump signed during his first term. However, he recently proposed the idea of not compensating for the missed salaries.

It was unclear if the president’s directive applies to the U.S. Coast Guard, which is a branch of the U.S. Armed Forces but is overseen by the Department of Homeland Security during peacetime.

The nation’s third shutdown in 12 years has again raised anxiety levels among service members and their families as those in uniform are working without pay. While they would receive back pay once the impasse ends, many military families live paycheck to paycheck.

During previous shutdowns, Congress passed legislation to ensure that troops kept earning their salaries, but discussion of taking a similar step by lawmakers appeared to have fizzled out.

Asked earlier this week if he would support a bill to pay the troops, Trump said, “that probably will happen.”

“We’ll take care of it,” he said Wednesday. “Our military is always going to be taken care of.”

The shutdown began on Oct. 1 after Democrats rejected a short-term funding fix and demanded that the bill include an extension of federal subsidies for health insurance under the Affordable Care Act. The expiration of those subsidies at the end of the year will result in monthly cost increases for millions of people.

Trump and Republican leaders have said they are open to negotiations on the health subsidies, but insist the government must reopen first.

Both sides appear dug in on their positions, making it unclear when, or how, the shutdown ends.

.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
Now, Experts Are Warning Revolutionary AI Tools Change Everything

Experts Warn of Transformative Impact of Revolutionary AI Tools

The rise of artificial intelligence is causing quite a stir across various…
LA cops blast California's soft DUI laws

California’s DUI Laws Under Fire from LA Officers

California has witnessed a troubling surge in drunk driving incidents, with six…
Australia Hanukkah terror attack suspect seen for first time in prison

Suspect in Australia Hanukkah Attack Makes First Court Appearance From Prison

The individual charged with executing a Hanukkah attack in Sydney, Australia, made…
Heartless nut trashes NYC's Uncle Jack's on Valentine's Day

Outrage as NYC’s Beloved Uncle Jack’s Faces Unthinkable Valentine’s Day Vandalism

Perhaps he was in need of a hug. In the early hours…
Israeli intelligence sources reject claims Jeffrey Epstein was Mossad operative following document releases

Israeli Intelligence Dismisses Allegations of Epstein’s Mossad Ties Amid Newly Released Documents

Recent investigations and newly unveiled documents shedding light on the connection between…
Former UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez released from prison after 2022 shooting, attempted murder of man molesting his son

Ex-UFC Heavyweight Champion Cain Velasquez Freed from Prison Following 2022 Shooting and Attempted Murder Case Involving Alleged Child Molester

In a recent development, Cain Velasquez, the former UFC heavyweight champion, has…
Readers sound off on migrant crime claims, Rubio’s speech and Olympic Village condoms

Unpacking the Truth: Migrant Crime Myths, Rubio’s Controversial Speech, and the Olympic Village Condom Debate

Dehumanizing rhetoric invites abuses of humans Brooklyn: In a February 10 opinion…
Producer of hit Israeli TV series 'Tehran' dies suddenly in Greece; found dead in Athens hotel

Tragic Loss: ‘Tehran’ Producer Unexpectedly Passes Away in Athens Hotel

ATHENS, Greece — Dana Eden, the acclaimed Israeli producer renowned for her…
Ken Paxton sues Dallas over alleged failure to fund police as required by Proposition U

Texas AG Ken Paxton Files Lawsuit Against Dallas for Alleged Noncompliance with Proposition U Police Funding Mandate

Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton has initiated legal action against Dallas officials,…
TSA agents working without pay as funding for DHS stalls

TSA Agents Face Unpaid Work Amid DHS Funding Delay

Early Saturday, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) was forced to…
Waltz calls UN a 'cesspool for antisemitism' as Trump administration pushes major reforms

UN Under Fire: Waltz Labels It a ‘Cesspool for Antisemitism’ Amid Trump Era Reform Push

EXCLUSIVE: U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Mike Waltz is advocating for…
Casey Wasserman selling his talent agency amid Jeffrey Epstein fallout

Casey Wasserman to Divest Talent Agency in Wake of Jeffrey Epstein Controversy

Entertainment mogul Casey Wasserman, who also serves as the chair for the…