Internewscast
Image default
Home » The reason fire crews were delayed in putting out a house blaze that injured a woman and two kids 
AU News

The reason fire crews were delayed in putting out a house blaze that injured a woman and two kids 

A family caught in an inferno are lucky to be alive after fire crews were forced to tunnel into bitumen to access hydrants that were covered during recent road works.

A woman in her 30s and two young girls suffered injuries after their Coorparoo home, in Brisbane, went up in flames just after 3am on Friday morning. 

The mother was rushed to the Royal Brisbane Hospital with severe leg burns, while the father, 32, was treated at the scene for minor injuries.  

Their daughters were taken to Brisbane’s Children Hospital, where the five-year-old was treated for burns to the arm and the three-year-old with smoke inhalation. 

A women, aged in her 30s, and two young girls were injured when their Coorparoo home went up in flames just after 3am on Friday morning. Pictured: Emergency services at the scene

A women, aged in her 30s, and two young girls were injured when their Coorparoo home went up in flames just after 3am on Friday morning. Pictured: Emergency services at the scene

A women, aged in her 30s, and two young girls were injured when their Coorparoo home went up in flames just after 3am on Friday morning. Pictured: Emergency services at the scene 

The family of four escaped out of a window with the help of neighbours as the blaze engulfed their Kitchener St home, 9News reports. 

Queensland Fire and Emergency Service Inspector Rohan Wilschefsk said it was lucky everyone escaped before firefighters arrived as road resurfacing last week had blocked the hydrants.  

‘The pavement had gone over the top of the fire hydrants so when the crews arrived they were unable to find them or get access to them,’ he told the Courier Mail.  

 ‘It wasn’t until urban utilities came and told where the hydrants were located that we were able to dig them up and get access to those hydrants.’

‘We were just lucky enough that everybody go out before we got here.’ 

Inspector Wilschefsck said crews had to stretch their hoses to other hydrants in neighbouring streets, causing delays.

Despite their best efforts, the home was completely destroyed alongside two other units within the apartment block and an adjacent house was also damaged. 

The four families left homeless are being assisted by the Fire Service to find accommodation. 

Police have set up a crime scene and the blaze is being treated as suspicious.  

Investigations remain underway. 

The inferno (pictured) destroyed four properties, leaving several families now homeless

The inferno (pictured) destroyed four properties, leaving several families now homeless

The inferno (pictured) destroyed four properties, leaving several families now homeless 

Source: Daily Mail AU

Related posts

Frank Lampard hints at Kai Havertz’s best position and rates £71m Chelsea transfer

InterNewsCast

Coronavirus vaccine rolls off production line in Belgium

InterNewsCast

Art critic ‘solves’ the riddle of Sir Edward Elgar’s Enigma Variations

InterNewsCast

Leave a Comment