Share this @internewscast.com

In a significant move, the United States has officially withdrawn from the World Health Organization (WHO), following a year of warnings about the potential negative impact on both domestic and global public health. The decision comes amid criticism of the WHO’s handling of the COVID-19 pandemic, which the U.S. administration cited as a driving factor behind its departure.

President Donald Trump announced that the U.S. would exit the WHO on the first day of his presidency in 2025 through an executive order. This decision marks a notable shift in international health policy for the country.

A statement released Thursday by the U.S. Departments of Health and State indicated that the United States will maintain only limited engagement with the WHO as it processes its withdrawal. The statement underscores a significant reduction in collaboration with the global health body.

“We have no plans to participate as an observer, and we have no plans of rejoining,” stated a senior government health official, emphasizing the administration’s firm stance on the issue.

The US said it plans to work directly with other countries — rather than through an international organisation — on disease surveillance and other public health priorities.

Under US law, it was supposed to give one-year notice and pay all outstanding fees — around $US260 million ($380 million) —before leaving.

But a US State Department official disputed that the statute contains a condition that any payment ‌needs to be made before withdrawal.

“The American people have paid more than enough,” a State Department spokesperson said in an email earlier on Thursday.

The Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) said ‍in a document released on Thursday that the government had ended its funding contributions to the agency. Trump had exercised his authority to pause the future transfer of any US government resources to the WHO because the organisation had cost the US trillions of dollars, the HHS spokesperson said.

The US flag had been removed from outside the WHO headquarters in Geneva on Thursday, according to witnesses.

In recent weeks, the US has moved to exit a number of other UN organisations, and some fear that Trump’s recently launched Board of Peace could undermine the UN as a whole.

The US departure has sparked a financial crisis that has seen the WHO cut its management team in half and scale back work, cutting budgets across the agency. Washington has traditionally been by far the UN health agency’s biggest financial backer, contributing around 18 per cent of its overall funding. The WHO will also shed around a quarter of its staff by the middle of this year.

The agency said it has been working with the US and sharing information in the last year. It was unclear how the collaboration will work going forward.

Global health experts said this posed risks for the US, the WHO and the world.

“The US withdrawal from WHO could weaken the systems and collaborations the world relies on to detect, prevent, and respond to health threats,” said Kelly Henning, ‍public health program lead at Bloomberg Philanthropies, a US-based non-profit.


For the latest from SBS News, download our app and subscribe to our newsletter.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
NSW Premier Chris Minns insisted he would only move ahead with the proposal of an extra Anzac Day public holiday with the blessing of the RSL.

New NSW Public Holiday Sparks Concerns for Small Business Budgets

With the state’s latest Anzac Day holiday set to fall on Saturday,…
US ready for military strike this weekend, sources say

US Prepared for Potential Military Action This Weekend, Insider Sources Reveal

The US military is prepared to strike Iran as early as this…

Sabina Ditches Snacking After Analyzing Sugar Levels: Is the Data Truly That Straightforward?

As Sabina Ziokowski glances at her app, a noticeable spike in her…
Nurse assaulted in alleged racist attack at Geelong gym

Nurse Targeted in Suspected Racially Motivated Assault at Geelong Gym

A young nurse has been left with a broken nose after being…
A police investigation is underway after this disturbing note was sent to Lakemba Mosque

Controversial Letter Sent to Australia’s Largest Mosque on the Eve of Ramadan

A chilling death threat sent to Australia’s largest mosque has heightened tension…

Unexpected Canine Competitor Steals the Show at Olympic Sprint Event

In Brief A Czechoslovakian wolfdog named Nazgul bolted onto the track during…
Mark Zuckerberg quizzed on children's Instagram use in social media trial

Mark Zuckerberg Faces Intense Scrutiny Over Kids’ Instagram Usage in Landmark Social Media Trial

Mark Zuckerberg faced a rigorous examination in a Los Angeles courtroom, engaging…
Minister for Home Affairs, Minister for Immigration and Citizenship, Minister for Cyber Security, Minister for the Arts and Leader of the House Tony Burke during the presentation and motion for second reading of the Combatting Antisemitism, Hate and Extremism (Firearms and Customs Laws) Bill 2026, in the House of Representatives at Parliament House in Canberra on Tuesday 20 January 2026. fedpol Photo: Alex Ellinghausen

Controversial Australian with ISIS Ties Temporarily Barred from Returning Home

Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke confirmed an exclusion order had been taken…

Discover How Gaza’s Palestinians Are Observing Ramadan Amidst a Fragile Peace

In Gaza City, the streets, though lined with the remnants of collapsed…
Sydney had the nation's highest temperature just before midday today.

Sydney’s Sizzling Heatwave Ends Abruptly with Unexpected Downpour: A Weather Rollercoaster

Sydney was the hottest place in Australia briefly today before parts of…

Renowned U.S. Civil Rights Leader Jesse Jackson Passes Away at 84

In Brief The Jackson family released a statement saying he “died peacefully…
Hacker scam online

Massive Data Breach Exposes Personal Information of Hundreds of Thousands of Australians

Hundreds of thousands of Australians could have had highly personal information released…