Share this @internewscast.com
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Sunday that he hoped to bring home the hostages being held by Hamas “in the coming days” and the group will be disarmed “either the easy way or the hard way”, as negotiators headed to Cairo for talks aimed at putting an end to nearly two years of war in Gaza.
United States President Donald Trump warned he would “not tolerate delay” from the Palestinian militant group, after it responded positively to his roadmap for freeing the captives and administering post-war Gaza.
While Trump had called on Israel to halt its bombardment of the Gaza Strip following Hamas’ announcement, the strikes continued on Saturday, with at least 57 people killed since dawn, according to the Palestinian territory’s civil defence agency.

Netanyahu credited “military and diplomatic pressure” with compelling Hamas to agree to release the captives in a televised statement on Saturday night local time (Sunday morning AEST).

“I hope that in the coming days we will be able to bring back all our hostages… during the Sukkot holidays,” Netanyahu said, referring to the Jewish festival that begins on Monday and runs for one week.

Negotiations to take place in Cairo

The premier added he had ordered negotiators to Egypt “to finalise the technical details”, with Cairo confirming it would also be hosting a delegation from Hamas for talks on “the ground conditions and details of the exchange of all Israeli detainees and Palestinian prisoners” as per Trump’s proposal.
Trump also dispatched two envoys to Egypt on Saturday, according to the White House: his son-in-law Jared Kushner and his main Middle East negotiator Steve Witkoff.

On Friday night, Hamas announced “its approval for the release of all hostages — living and remains — according to the exchange formula included in President Trump’s proposal”.

Trump immediately hailed the statement as evidence the group was “ready for a lasting PEACE”, calling on Israel to stop its bombing.
On Saturday, he warned the group to “move quickly” towards a deal “or else all bets will be off”.
Netanyahu, meanwhile, insisted in his remarks Saturday that “Hamas will be disarmed… either diplomatically via Trump’s plan or militarily by us”.

As of Saturday evening, a crowd of thousands was gathering in Tel Aviv urging Trump to ensure a deal was struck.

Dozens killed in Gaza despite Trump’s order

Despite Trump’s call for a pause in operations, Israel carried out deadly strikes across Gaza on Saturday.
“The death toll from the ongoing Israeli bombardment since dawn today stands at 57, including 40 in Gaza City alone,” said Mahmud Bassal, a spokesman for the civil defence agency, a rescue organisation that operates under Hamas authority.
Israeli forces have carried out a sweeping air and ground assault in recent weeks around the city.

“The Israeli bombardment on Gaza continues with the same intensity and pattern — air strikes, artillery shelling and quadcopter drone fire are ongoing,” said Mohammed al-Mughayyir, also of the civil defence agency.

Israel's Benjamin Netanyahu stands with Donald Trump, with both men giving a thumbs up.

Donald Trump and Benjamin Netanyahu met at the White House last week and announced a 20-point US peace plan for Gaza. Source: Getty / Win McNamee

Mahmud Al-Ghazi, 39, a resident of Al-Rimal neighbourhood in Gaza City, said “Israel has actually escalated its attacks” since Trump’s call for a pause.

“Who will stop Israel now? We need the negotiations to move faster to stop this genocide and the ongoing bloodshed,” he added.
The Israeli military said it was still operating in Gaza City and warned residents not to return there, adding that doing so would be “extremely dangerous”.

Israeli media reported that the military had shifted to a defensive posture in Gaza following Trump’s call, though the military did not confirm this.

No role for Hamas

A Hamas official said Egypt, a mediator in the truce talks, would host a conference for Palestinian factions to decide on post-war plans for Gaza.
In its response to the Trump plan, Hamas had insisted it should have a say in the territory’s future.
The plan stipulates that Hamas and other factions “not have any role in the governance of Gaza”, while also calling for a halt to hostilities, the release of hostages within 72 hours, a gradual Israeli withdrawal from Gaza and Hamas’s disarmament.

Under it, administration of the territory would be taken up by a technocratic body overseen by a post-war transitional authority headed by Trump himself.

Reactions in Gaza

Jamila al-Sayyid, 24, a resident of Gaza City’s Al-Zeitoun neighbourhood, said he “was happy when Trump announced a ceasefire, but the warplanes did not stop”.

A journalist in the coastal area of Al-Mawasi with the Agence France-Presse news agency reported hearing celebratory cries of “Allahu akbar!” (God is greatest) from tents housing Palestinians as news of Hamas’ statement spread.

“The best thing is that President Trump himself announced a ceasefire, and Netanyahu will not be able to escape this time… (Trump) is the only one who can force Israel to comply and stop the war,” said Sami Adas, 50, who lives in a tent in Gaza City with his family.
Gazans have faced previous false dawns during the past two years, when Trump and others declared at several points during on-off negotiations between Hamas, Israel and Arab and U.S. mediators that a deal was close, only for war to rage on.
“Will it happen? Can we trust Trump? Maybe we trust Trump, but will Netanyahu abide this time? He has always sabotaged everything and continued the war. I hope he ends it now,” said Aya, 31, who was displaced with her family to Deir Al-Balah in the central Gaza Strip.
With additional reporting from the Reuters news agency

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
WA man jailed for stealing intimate material and using 'evil twin' WiFi networks

Cyber Trickery: Man Sentenced for Crafting Deceptive ‘Evil Twin’ WiFi Networks at Australian Airports

A 44-year-old man has been sentenced to prison for orchestrating a scheme…
ACT Policing is urging the mother of the newborn baby to seek medical attention.

Heartbreaking Discovery: Newborn Baby Abandoned at Canberra Fire Station Sparks Urgent Response

Police are looking for dashcam footage after a a newborn baby was…
Neuroblastoma is a deadly cancer that can affect children as young as two-years-old. A new study by the Garvan Institute may have found a drug that can help cure it.

Potential Breakthrough Drug Surfaces for Treating Deadly Childhood Cancer

A medication, already approved for cancer treatment, might now offer a new…
No one could escape these two words for weeks. Now Aussies are opting out

Aussies Opt Out of Viral Two-Word Craze Dominating Conversations for Weeks

Exclusive Insight: The phrase “Black Friday” has been ubiquitous, filling email inboxes…

Trump Challenges Biden’s Autopen Executive Orders: A New Political Showdown Unfolds

In a recent statement, former President Donald Trump announced his intention to…
Lukas Schindler from Switzerland crossing the finish line at the Sydney marathon.

Heroic Swiss Tourist Identified After Bravely Attempting to Save Girlfriend from Shark Attack

A Swiss tourist who bravely attempted to ward off a shark during…
Police have arrested a 16-year-old boy.

Teenager in Critical Condition After Adelaide Shopping Centre Altercation; One Arrested

A teenager is in critical condition, and a 20-year-old man is seriously…
Matildas defender Ellie Carpenter embraces Winonah Heatley during their match against New Zealand

Matildas’ Emotional Tribute: Star Player’s Hidden Heartbreak Revealed in Thrilling New Zealand Match

Winonah Heatley, a standout player for the Matildas, joined her team amidst…

Prime Minister Commends ‘Yes-alition’ as Environmental Reforms Secure Passage Before Parliament Adjourns for the Year

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has happily returned for an extra sitting day…
Jetstar

Airbus Recall Grounds Jetstar Flights, Leading to Long Passenger Queues

Jetstar flights across the country are facing disruptions, with delays and cancellations…

Tragic Floods in Southeast Asia Claim Over 250 Lives

Days of devastating flooding across Southeast Asia have killed more than 250…
Lucas died after a stabbing in Sydney's Rouse Hill.

Family of Fatally Stabbed Teen Remembers Him as a ‘Loyal Young Man

The parents of a Sydney teenager who tragically lost his life in…