5.9k Share this
Man, 19, with a severe nut allergy served them THREE times by BA crew in a week
- Brodie Chapman was flying from London to Vancouver when he was served nuts
- The travel manager said this happened despite him telling staff about his allergy
- He was forced to inject his Epi-pen after suffering allergic reaction mid-air
- BA said it apologised and was discussing how to make it up to Mr Chapman
A man with a severe nut allergy was served them three times in a week by British Airways cabin crew despite warning they could kill him.
Brodie Chapman, 19, was flying with the airline from London to Vancouver when he was served the potentially fatal foods.
He said he told cabin crew on his flight to Canada that he was allergic to nuts but despite that he was given a bag of cashews shortly before takeoff and then a walnut cake during the flight.
On his return flight, he said he needed to inject his Epi-pen after suffering an allergic reaction in mid-air when he ate fruit served on top of nut-filled granola.
Brodie Chapman, 19, was served nuts by British Airways cabin crew three times in a week despite having a major allergy
On his flight to Canada, Mr Chapman was given a bag of cashews (stock image) shortly before takeoff and then a walnut cake during the flight. On his return flight, he needed to inject his Epi-pen after suffering an allergic reaction in mid-air when he ate fruit served on top of nut-filled granola
The travel manager, who said he informed British Airways of his allergy two days before flying and also told staff before boarding each flight, told the Sun on Sunday: ‘I was in tears because no one seemed to be taking my condition seriously.
‘It was terrifying. I kept telling staff I was allergic to nuts, yet they kept giving me them. If I’d eaten them, I would be dead.’
British Airways said it had apologised to Mr Chapman and was discussing how to make it up to him.
A spokesman for the airline told MailOnline: ‘The safety of our customers is always our priority and we’re investigating how this could have happened.
‘We’ve been in contact to apologise and discuss how we can make it up to our customer.
‘We hope this will go some way to restoring faith in British Airways and allow us to show the level of care we strive to provide for our customers.’
Tanya Ednan-Laperouse, whose daughter Natasha was just 15 when she died on a British Airways flight to Nice in 2016 after having an allergic reaction to a Pret sandwich, said Mr Chapman’s experience was a ‘terrifying insight into the world of an allergy sufferer on a plane’.
She added: ‘When you are trapped 36,000 feet up and having a serious allergic reaction, that plane is potentially your coffin.’
Following Natasha’s death, Mrs Ednan-Laperouse and her husband Nadim set up the Natasha Allergy Research Foundation, and campaigned for a change in the law which requires all food retailers to display full ingredient and allergen labelling on every food item made on the premises and pre-packed for direct sale.
British Airways said it had apologised to Mr Chapman and was discussing how to make it up to him