3.9k Share this
Jake Closier Wiki
Jake Closier Biography
Who is Jake Closier ?
An eight-year-old boy was rushed to hospital after a viper bite caused his hand to swell “five times the normal size”.
Jake Closier was on a day trip to the beach when he was attacked by the poisonous snake.
He was with his father Kenny, 33, and his mother Sophie, 32, at the popular Hemsby Beach beauty spot in Norfolk, when the snake lunged at him while he was playing in the sand dunes. sand.
Sophie initially thought the bite was from a harmless grass snake, but she realized something was wrong when Jake’s hand went “completely hard.”
Sophie, from Camden Town, London, said: “We were talking about a family walk along the beach to look for the seals and we were heading towards Winterton.
‘My son was running down the beach in the sand dunes and he fell and was bitten by the poisonous snake.
He was in the wrong place at the wrong time.
“I realized that my son had been bitten and managed to take a quick snapshot with my phone.
“I have had pet snakes before and have been bitten several times by non-venomous snakes as babies. It’s nothing worse than a hamster bite.
“My first thought was that he had been bitten by a snake, so we walked to a medical center in case he needed a tetanus shot.”
“Within about 30 seconds, I checked his finger and it went completely hard and I could see a puncture wound.
“I googled what snakes were in Norfolk and it immediately said there were adders in the area.
‘That’s when I panicked because I finally realized what kind of snake had bitten Jake.
“We fled the sand dunes and knocked on the resident’s door so we could get an address for the ambulance.
‘At this point, I didn’t know how serious the bite was.
“Fortunately, a man took us to the hospital because they told us we would be waiting eight hours for an ambulance.”
Jake was rushed to James Paget University Hospital in Great Yarmouth after last Tuesday’s bite, where doctors inserted an anti-venom drip into his veins.
His mother was worried that his son, who was vomiting from the poison, might end up in anaphylactic shock.
Jake had to get an x-ray to make sure there were no snake teeth left on his hand.
Sophie added: “We had to go to the hospital within half an hour, by which time his hand had swollen to about five times the size of a normal hand.”
What to do if you are bitten by a snake
Around 100 people are bitten by snakes in Britain each year, but no one has died from one since 1975.
The pit viper is not normally a danger to humans, except to the very young, sick, or old.
It is more likely to slide than bite a human, unless stepped on or picked up.
If bitten, medical attention should be sought immediately.
The worst effects of a snakebite are usually nausea and drowsiness, severe swelling and bruising around the bite.
For some, a snake bite can trigger a serious reaction, known as anaphylaxis or anaphylactic shock.
‘His hand was swollen and hard, we thought it was going to burst. The puncture wound was black. He was vomiting and sweating.
‘The poison had shrunk his veins, so they couldn’t administer the antidote properly. Somehow they managed to give it to him in an hour.
‘He was on the antidote for an hour and then had to have a hot flash and was on hourly observations of his heart rate, breathing and circulation.
He also had to have regular ultrasounds. He even had to have x-rays done to check that there were no snake teeth left on his fingers.
After being watched for 24 hours, Jake was allowed to return home, but now he suffers from “constant nightmares” and refuses to walk on the grass.
Sophie said people should be “aware of the threat” of venomous snakes.
Adders are the only venomous snake in England and it remains rare for them to bite people, according to the Woodland Trust.
Sophie added: ‘Jake could have died from it. He was so scary.
“The next day, the poison had already passed through his body, so we had overcome the risk of him losing his life.
‘There was still a danger that he could have lost his fingers, hand or arm because he developed fluid retention in the tissue.
He was in so much pain after they tried to stop the poison from reaching his heart. That took about four days to go.
“We just want to warn people about the snakes when they are in the sand dunes. Look what can happen.
Jake Closier Quick and Facts
- Jake Closier, 8, rushed to hospital after a snake bite made his hand balloon up
- The boy stumbled upon an adder, the UK’s only venomous snake, in Norfolk
- His mum, who has owned snakes, was unaware dangerous ones were in the UK