3.9k Share this
Ellie Makin Wiki
Ellie Makin Biography
Who was Ellie Makin ?
A TEENAGER claims she nearly died after falling asleep drunk and forgetting to change her tampon.
Ellie Makin said that she developed toxic shock syndrome, but doctors fired her when she went to the hospital for help.
The 18-year-old claims she was sent home, and doctors told her she had “fresh flu.”
She had accidentally left herself in her tampon overnight after a night out, meaning that she had been inside her for 12 hours.
The student woke up with flu-like symptoms, nausea and dizziness, and made sure that she was ill with toxic shock syndrome.
She passed out and was taken to North Durham University Hospital for her college wellness tea, where she claims she told them about her tampon.
“They said it is a deadly disease and that you are lucky to have caught it now. I was scared and upset by the way Durham Hospital treated me.”
After her terrifying experience, she now promises to be more careful with tampons and is urging others to do the same and make sure they push for a diagnosis if they have symptoms of toxic shock.
Ellie said she was discharged after three hours, as doctors “dismissed” her concerns about toxic shock.
She claims they attributed her symptoms to a viral infection as a result of going out drinking at cooler college celebrations.
Tameside General Hospital confirmed that she had toxic shock syndrome
But after it got worse the next day, doctors at Tameside General Hospital confirmed that she had toxic shock syndrome and kept her on for five days.
The weather science student is now urging other teens to “trust their gut” and get a second opinion when they feel like they’ve been fired.
Ellie from Droylsden, Greater Manchester said: “They had been rookies and I had been dating quite a bit and I started to feel really exhausted with flu-like symptoms.
“My apple watch showed that my heart rate was 120 at rest when it is normally 55, so that was worrisome and I also felt dizzy and sick.
“I had fallen asleep drunk with a tampon and left it on for 12 hours so I Googled my symptoms and knew it was toxic shock.
“I told my mom and she called social services and they came to my door. When I opened the door I passed out, so they took me to the hospital.
“They did blood tests and they told me my white blood cell count was high, but they couldn’t pinpoint where the infection was from, so they just wrote it down as a viral infection and discharged me.
“I knew it wasn’t a viral infection because I was dizzy and passed out. I said I was worried it was toxic shock and I told them about the tampon, but they didn’t do anything about it.”
“I feel like they fired me, they should have done the tests and not just attributed it to the newborn flu.”
‘CLICK FOR HELP’
Toxic shock syndrome (TSS) is a rare but potentially fatal condition caused by bacteria that enter the body and release harmful toxins.
The condition deteriorates rapidly, and the infection can lead to organ failure or eventually death, if not treated right away.
People who use tampons are advised to change them before going to sleep and soon after waking up.
The teenager now claims that she is dealing with relatively unknown long-term effects of the condition, including rapid hair loss, which has left her with a thinned hairline and flaking skin on her hands and feet.
Ellie fears that these effects could last up to six months after joining online support groups of people recovering from toxic shock syndrome and documenting the same struggles.
She said: “If there had been a possibility that it could have been toxic shock, Durham Hospital should have done more testing, especially given the fact that I had left the tampon in for so long.
What are the symptoms of TSS?
Fever and high temperature: 102 ° F (39 ° C) or higher
Flu-like symptoms: headache, chills, muscle pain, sore throat, cough, etc.
Feeling of discomfort and / or malaise.
A widespread rash similar to a sunburn
Redness in the whites of the eyes, lips and tongue.
Dizziness and / or fainting
A spokesperson for the County Durham and Darlington NHS Foundation Trust said:
“There are times when a patient develops more symptoms after leaving the care of our emergency department team, which would support a specific diagnosis.
“We encourage patients to return to the hospital for further investigation when new symptoms emerge or existing symptoms persist.
“We are sorry that Ellie was not happy with the care she received and would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this and her overall experience with her, if you find it helpful.