Share this @internewscast.com

Actor Jussie Smollett’s Chicago trial on charges that he faked a hate crime attack on himself three years ago begins Monday with jury selection.

Smollett, 39, was a star of the television show “Empire” when he claimed he was attacked on January 29, 2019, by two men who hurled racial and homophobic slurs at him and left a noose around his neck.

Two brothers who worked as extras on “Empire” later came forward and said Smollett had paid them to “attack” him, and prosecutors charged the actor. But in March, Cook County Prosecutor Kim Foxx dropped all the charges against him in return for community service and forfeiture of his bond, as CrimeOnline previously reported.

An outcry against that action prompted the appointment of a special prosecutor, who indicted Smollett on six disorderly conduct charges related to the incident but did not find that Foxx or her office acted in a criminal manner. Former U.S. Attorney Dan Webb’s full report was sealed and has not been released.

The charges against Smollett, whose character was written out of “Empire” after the incident, are misdemeanors carrying a maximum sentence of three years, according to the Chicago Sun-Times.

According to the Tribune, prosecutors said that Smollett staged the attack because he was unhappy with how the television studio handled a purportedly racist letter containing a white powder that the actor received — only for officials to say that Smollett mailed that letter to himself because he wanted a raise.

Olabinjo and Abimbola Osundairo, the brothers who allegedly staged the attack, are expected to be key witnesses against Smollett during the trial.

For the latest true crime and justice news, subscribe to the ‘Crime Stories with Nancy Grace’ podcast

[Featured image: FILE Actor Jussie Smollet in court in 2019 in Chicago. (E. Jason Wambsgans/Chicago Tribune via AP, Pool)]

Source: This post first appeared on

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Grandfather Allegedly Laces Grandchildren’s Ice Cream with Cocaine and MDMA: Police Report

Inset: James Yokeley Jr.(Wilmington Police Department). Background: The Dairy Queen where Yokeley…

Court Hears Accused Man Allegedly Sent Photos of Missing Individual

The 56-year-old cybersecurity worker has been missing from his home in Kelvin…

Bones Discovered During FBI Search for Travis Decker, Suspected of Killing His Three Young Daughters

Bones were discovered Thursday during the ongoing manhunt for Travis Decker, a…

Pulitzer Prize Board Unable to Halt Trump’s Libel Lawsuit

FILE – President Donald Trump walks from Marine One after arriving on…

Kilmar Abrego Garcia Requests Judge to Impose Gag Order

From left to right: Kilmar Abrego Garcia attends a protest at the…

Man Admits Guilt in Plot to Assassinate President Biden

U.S. President Joe Biden gives a speech at Green River College on…

Man Confesses to Police: ‘I’ve Made a Mess’ After Killing Wife

Background: News footage depicting James Wilson III during his sentencing hearing on…

Man Sentenced for Shooting Girlfriend, a Mother of Eight

Left: Ronald Fuller (Milwaukee County Jail). Right: LaKeyshia Timmons (GoFundMe). A Wisconsin…

Mother Charged with Deliberately Leaving Baby in Hot Car to Die: Police Report

Share copy link Background: 3200 block of Preston Rd. in Frisco, Texas…

Judge Doubles Sentence for Kayaker Who Staged His Own Disappearance

A US man who faked his own drowning while kayaking and left…

Husband Fails to Call 911 as Wife Passes Away in Bathtub

Left: Scott Douglas Loven (Olmsted County Adult Detention Center). Right: Iris Jean…

Judge Mandates Refund for Jan. 6 Defendant Granted Pardon

Inset: Yvonne St Cyr, image courtesy of the U.S. Department of Justice.…