Soccer 'sin bin' trial OK'd, opening door to major rule change

The organization governing the rules of professional soccer gave the go-ahead Tuesday to begin experimenting with rules allowing referees to temporarily send players off the field, echoing similar penalties in ice hockey and rugby.

Implementing so-called sin bins would be one of the biggest rule changes in the sport’s history, and it would provide referees with more flexibility to punish players for offenses that are deemed more severe than the usual yellow card warnings.

Soccer referees currently have the power to call fouls and dish out yellows for egregious offenses or red cards for the worst behavior that warrants immediate expulsion and shorthanded play for the offender’s team for the rest of the game. Two yellow cards equal a red, though especially egregious offenses can warrant direct reds.

But with a “sin bin” option, officials could adjudicate a foul as worse than yellow but less severe than red, and the offender’s team could be forced to play one player down for a set number of minutes.

While the International Football Association Board, or IFAB, stopped short of spelling out exact offenses that would temporarily sideline players, it unequivocally said the future rule — and instances of 11-on-10 play — would become reality at the sport’s highest levels.

It also wasn’t clear which of the world’s top leagues or levels within those national organizations would be first to implement the third level of offense.

“In addition, it was agreed that temporary dismissals (sin bins) for dissent and specific tactical offences should be trialled at higher levels, following their successful implementation in grassroots football,” IFAB said in a statement announcing the change. “Protocols and a system for trialling will now be developed.”

In one particularly well-known incident, Italy’s Giorgio Chiellini blatantly dragged down England’s Bukayo Saka in the 2020 European Championship final (played in 2021 because of a Covid pandemic-induced postponement) but drew only a yellow in a famous contest the Azzurri won on penalties.

“I think frustration for fans watching games when they see a promising counterattack that’s ruined by that and the question of whether a yellow card is sufficient for that has led to us looking at whether that should be involved in the protocol, as well,” said IFAB member Mark Bullingham, the CEO of England’s Football Association, according to Sky Sports.

“The starting point was looking at player behavior and dissent — we’re then looking at whether we should extend it into other areas, such as tactical fouls, as well,” he continued.

The “sin bin” is also being implemented as part of a greater effort to curb aggressive behavior by players against referees. IFAB approved the eventual implementation of a rule under which “only the team captain may approach the referee in certain major game situations.”

It would be the biggest soccer rule change since 1992, when goalkeepers were first banned from picking up the ball following backward passes from their teammates. That was implemented to make wasting time more difficult.

The change to soccer would rival other major rule changes that have jarred sports familiar to North American spectators:

  • The forward pass came to American football in 1906, forever altering the game from a bloody, rugbylike battle of attrition to today’s sport of strong-armed quarterbacks and speedy receivers.
  • The American League adopted the designated hitter in 1973, and the rule, allowing a permanent batter in place of the light-hitting pitcher, became MLB-wide last year.
  • The short-lived American Basketball League used a 3-point shot in 1961-62 before the American Basketball Association made it popular six years later. The advent revolutionized basketball by allowing highly skilled players, no matter their height, to score from spots far from the hoop.
  • The NHL allowed passes to cross the blue and red lines starting in 2005, opening huge swaths of ice for highly skilled offensive players.
  • The governing body of world volleyball in late 1998 instituted “rally scoring,” meaning a point could be scored no matter which side served. Under previous “side out” rules, only the team serving could score.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Marc Jacobs Faces Backlash for Saying He’d Dress ‘Trendsetter’ Luigi Mangione at Murder Trial - Internewscast Journal

Marc Jacobs Faces Backlash for Saying He’d Dress ‘Trendsetter’ Luigi Mangione at Murder Trial

Marc Jacobs is facing backlash after saying he would be willing to…
Bodybuilder Dwayne Quamina Dies at 40 After Final Message Urging Fans to Stop Taking Life for Granted - Internewscast Journal

Bodybuilder Dwayne Quamina Dies at 40 After Final Message Urging Fans to Stop Taking Life for Granted

Dwayne Quamina, a Navy veteran and Mr. Olympia competitor known to bodybuilding…
Dramatic Video Shows Civilians in Mass Shooting Simulation - Internewscast Journal

Dramatic Video Shows Civilians in Mass Shooting Simulation

The training exercise quickly took a chaotic turn. A Florida sheriff’s office…
Salvadoran Immigrant Alexis Cedillos-Campos Arrested in Killing of Virginia Co-Worker Carmen Puch, Police Say - Internewscast Journal

Salvadoran Immigrant Alexis Cedillos-Campos Arrested in Killing of Virginia Co-Worker Carmen Puch, Police Say

A 19-year-old undocumented immigrant from El Salvador has been accused of killing…
Teens Trapped Upside Down on Portland AtmosFEAR Ride Win Key Legal Victory - Internewscast Journal

Teens Trapped Upside Down on Portland AtmosFEAR Ride Win Key Legal Victory

Two Oregon teenagers who were trapped upside down with 26 other riders…
FBI arrests woman who allegedly plotted ISIS-linked attack on New York state Capitol building

FBI Arrests Woman Accused of Plotting ISIS-Linked Attack on New York State Capitol

A New York woman allegedly planned to bomb the New York State…
Family Checks Vegas Morgues for Missing New York Grandmother - Internewscast Journal

Family Checks Vegas Morgues for Missing New York Grandmother

The daughter of a New York grandmother who disappeared during a trip…
Judge to Weigh New Trial in Karmelo Anthony Texas Track Killing - Internewscast Journal

Judge to Weigh New Trial in Karmelo Anthony Texas Track Killing

Karmelo Anthony received a 35-year prison sentence after being convicted of fatally…
Prince Harry Immigration Case Update as He and Meghan Markle Prepare to Leave the US - Internewscast Journal

Prince Harry Immigration Case Update as He and Meghan Markle Prepare to Leave the US

WASHINGTON — Questions over whether Prince Harry was fully candid on his…
Martin County sheriff’s deputies track a vehicle before the arrest of Moniquie Love Turnbull in Florida

Florida Woman Accused of Scamming Senior, Hiding Thousands in Stolen Cash Inside Her Body

A Florida woman accused of impersonating a bank employee to defraud an…
Karmelo Anthony Prosecutor Reveals Evidence Jury Never Saw - Internewscast Journal

Karmelo Anthony Prosecutor Reveals Evidence Jury Never Saw

Hours before Austin Metcalf was fatally stabbed, Karmelo Anthony’s former girlfriend had…
Kennedy Center, White House Ballroom Plans Reveal Italy-Carved Columns and Plaza Named for Trump - Internewscast Journal

Kennedy Center, White House Ballroom Plans Reveal Italy-Carved Columns and Plaza Named for Trump

Washington — As President Trump continues to defend in court his sweeping…