Philippines summons China envoy over standoff, dares Beijing to seek arbitration

The Philippines summoned China’s envoy on Monday to protest against “aggressive actions” in the South China Sea at the weekend, as Manila’s defense minister dared Beijing to bolster its vast sovereignty claims by taking them to international arbitration.

The foreign ministry accused China’s coastguard of using water cannon against a civilian boat supplying troops on Saturday at the Second Thomas Shoal, which it said damaged the boat and injured some crew, in the latest in a succession of flare-ups in the past year.

“China’s continued interference with the Philippines’ routine and lawful activities in its own exclusive economic zone (EEZ) is unacceptable,” the Philippine foreign ministry said in a statement, which announced the charge d’affaires of the Chinese embassy had been summoned and a diplomatic protest lodged in Beijing.

“It infringes upon the Philippines’ sovereign rights and jurisdiction,” it said, demanding Chinese vessels leave the area.

China’s coastguard said on Saturday it took necessary measures against Philippine vessels that were intruding in its waters.

China claims almost the entire South China Sea as its own, including the Second Thomas Shoal, which is within the Philippines’ 200 mile EEZ.

The Philippines intentionally grounded an old warship at the shoal in 1999, as a means of bolstering its territorial claims and has kept a small contingent of military there ever since.

China has deployed hundreds of coastguard vessel throughout the South China Sea to patrol what it considers its waters, despite a 2016 Permanent Court of Arbitration ruling in a case brought by Manila that said the claim had no basis under international law. China has refused to recognize that outcome.

Philippine security chiefs convened a high-level meeting on Monday over the incident, to prepare recommendations to put to President Ferdinand Marcos Jr on ways forward in the dispute.

“The Philippines has made sincere efforts to implement the instruction of President Marcos and President Xi to lower tensions,” Manila’s foreign ministry added.

“China’s aggressive actions call into question its sincerity in lowering the tensions and promoting peace.”

China’s defense ministry told the Philippines to cease “provocative actions” and comments that may lead to conflict and an escalation.

Since taking power in 2022, Marcos has taken a tough line against what he sees as Chinese hostility and has refused to cave in to Beijing’s pressure to steer clear of features it claims.

The tensions come at a time when Marcos is seeking to deepen engagement with defense treaty ally the United States, including increasing base access for U.S. troops and expanding military exercises to include joint air and sea patrols, developments China has viewed with suspicion.

In comments likely to rile Beijing, Philippine Defense Secretary Gilberto Teodoro suggested on Monday that China should show the strength of its maritime claims through arbitration, rather than ambiguity.

“If China is not afraid to state its claims to the world, then why don’t we arbitrate under international law?” Philippines’ Teodoro told reporters.

“No country believes (their claims) and they see this as their way to use force, intimidate and bend the Philippines to their ambitions.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Tupac Shakur’s Haunting Reply to Las Vegas Cop After Fatal Drive-By Shooting Revealed - Internewscast Journal

Tupac Shakur’s Haunting Reply to Las Vegas Cop After Fatal Drive-By Shooting Revealed

Tupac Shakur declined to identify the gunmen who ambushed him, even as…
Prosecutor Corners Lindsay Clancy’s Mother-in-Law on Mortal Sin - Internewscast Journal

Prosecutor Corners Lindsay Clancy’s Mother-in-Law on Mortal Sin

Prosecutors turned briefly to religion Tuesday as they questioned Lindsay Clancy’s Catholic…
Two planes blow tires while landing at major US airport hours apart, FAA investigating

FAA Investigates After Two Planes Blow Tires During Landings Hours Apart at Major US Airport

Federal Aviation Administration officials are looking into two separate tire incidents involving…
Meta Faces Landmark Federal Trial Over Child Social Media Addiction - Internewscast Journal

Meta Faces Landmark Federal Trial Over Child Social Media Addiction

Opening statements are scheduled to begin Tuesday in a closely watched federal…
Texas Father Accused of Killing Estranged Wife While Children Were Home Left Clue on Shirt - Internewscast Journal

Texas Father Accused of Killing Estranged Wife While Children Were Home Left Clue on Shirt

A Texas man accused of killing his estranged wife was allegedly wearing…
Jared Bridegan Murder Trial Live Updates: First Case in His Killing Enters Day 2 - Internewscast Journal

Jared Bridegan Murder Trial Live Updates: First Case in His Killing Enters Day 2

Mario Fernandez-Saldana, accused of helping plan the 2022 shooting death of St.…
Iran Nuclear Deal Deadline Expires as Trump Demands Concessions Amid New Pressure Campaign - Internewscast Journal

Iran Nuclear Deal Deadline Expires as Trump Demands Concessions Amid New Pressure Campaign

A 60-day deadline for the United States and Iran to finalize a…
Justice Department Seeks to Reopen Criminal Case Against Kilmar Abrego Garcia - Internewscast Journal

Justice Department Seeks to Reopen Criminal Case Against Kilmar Abrego Garcia

The Justice Department is seeking to reinstate criminal charges against Kilmar Abrego…
Mission High Tops Berkeley Admissions Despite Math Failures - Internewscast Journal

Mission High Tops Berkeley Admissions Despite Math Failures

A San Francisco high school where critics say strong grades can be…
Ohio Couple Accused of Forcing Into Cruise Ship Cabin and Attacking Family, Including 9-Year-Old - Internewscast Journal

Ohio Couple Accused of Forcing Into Cruise Ship Cabin and Attacking Family, Including 9-Year-Old

An Ohio couple was taken into custody after investigators said they barged…
NYC Career Thief With 150 Arrests Busted Again Weeks After Release - Internewscast Journal

NYC Career Thief With 150 Arrests Busted Again Weeks After Release

A New York man with nearly 150 arrests on his record is…
Northwest Indiana Power Outages Persist as NIPSCO Restores Service, Storm Cleanup Continues Ahead of Tuesday Severe Weather - Internewscast Journal

Northwest Indiana Power Outages Persist as NIPSCO Restores Service, Storm Cleanup Continues Ahead of Tuesday Severe Weather

MERRILLVILLE, Ind. () — A week after a tornado swept through Munster,…