DA Hochman denies bias against Menendez brothers

DA Hochman denies bias against Menendez brothers

() — Los Angeles County District Attorney Nathan Hochman says he’s not biased against Erik and Lyle Menendez despite accusations from the brothers’ attorney.

“Nothing could be further from the truth,” Hochman told ‘s Elizabeth Vargas on Friday. “We’ve put in both facts that are favorable and unfavorable to our ultimate position.”

Erik and Lyle Menendez are currently spending life in prison without the possibility of parole for fatally shooting their father and mother in their Beverly Hills home in 1989. The brothers were 18 and 21 at the time of the killings.

Now, the brothers are pushing to have their sentences reduced — a bid that former LA County DA George Gascón supported, but one that Hochman has opposed.

The resentencing hearings were supposed to take place this week but now face further delays.

Mark Geragos, the brothers’ attorney, accused Hochman of having a personal bias against his clients and wants him removed from the case.

“The family does not want to go through this charade anymore with the DA,” Geragos said Thursday. “This is a DA that made up his mind and did no hard work.”

Hochman rejects those assertions and told Vargas his office has taken the case “incredibly seriously,” reviewing “over 50,000 pages of trial transcripts, thousands of pages of prison records and hundreds of hours of videotape,” among other work.

“Our ultimate position with respect to resentencing is not ‘no,’ it’s ‘not yet,'” Hochman said.

He continued: “When the Menendez brothers fully accept responsibility for all their criminal conduct, deceit, lies and cover-up, then we have said that the judge should reconsider at that point.”

The extended Menendez family, aside from an uncle who died last month, has said they fully forgive the brothers for what they did and want them to be freed.

The next hearing is set for May 9, where lawyers will argue whether a new report from California’s parole board is admissible in court.

Watch the interview with Nathan Hochman in the player above.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

You May Also Like

Wladimir Klitschko Breaks Silence After Death of Hayden Panettiere’s Brother Jansen

Wladimir Klitschko, the former fiancé of Hayden Panettiere, has broken his silence…

Earl Spencer to Speak Candidly About Princess Diana’s Death

Earl Spencer has written a remarkable new memoir about his sister, Princess…

Hayden Panettiere Reveals She Needed Help Walking Amid Grief

Hayden Panettiere was using crutches and leaning on others to get around…

Mysterious Flashes Spotted Over Desert Near Top-Secret US Military Base

Strange flashes of brilliant light seen near a highly sensitive military installation…

Portland Faces Asbestos Cloud Risk in Historic Mill Demolition

A 116-year-old Portland mill contaminated with asbestos is slated for demolition, alarming…

Expert Tips to Keep Your Garden Thriving During a Drought

Daily Mail journalists select and curate the products that feature on our…

Tupac Shakur Murder Trial: Suspect Put Gun in Shooter’s Hands, Jury Told

The man accused of masterminding Tupac Shakur’s killing personally handed the firearm…

Hayden Panettiere’s Dad’s Private Agony Revealed by Neighbors

Hayden Panettiere’s devastated father was still trying to heal from the sudden…

Invasive Mussel-Covered Boat Blocked From California Lake

A boat heavily coated with invasive golden mussels was intercepted Saturday at…

How a Teen TikTok Star’s Fame Drove Her Father to Murder

In the predawn darkness of July 10, 2021, a deafening blast jolted…

Cocaine Kingpins Forced Frat Pledges to Pack Drugs During Initiation

Two off-campus fraternities tied to Penn State University are accused of involvement…

White House Mocks Jon Ossoff as Theatre Kid After Trump Dig

Sen. Jon Ossoff drew sharp ridicule from several White House officials on…