Men guilty of felling much-loved British 'Sycamore Gap' tree

Two individuals were convicted on Friday for their involvement in cutting down Britain’s cherished ‘Sycamore Gap’ tree two years ago. This iconic landmark, renowned for its striking silhouette that appeared in a Hollywood movie, was felled in what prosecutors deemed a “moronic mission”.

The sycamore, believed to be nearly 200 years old, was located at the heart of a picturesque dip in the landscape next to the historic Hadrian’s Wall in northern England. It was a beloved destination for photographers, hikers, and even those seeking a memorable spot for marriage proposals.

Its prominence was such that it was featured in the 1991 film “Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves”. The tree’s destruction in September 2023 incited considerable grief and outrage among the public.

Prosecutor Richard Wright told jurors at Newcastle Crown Court last month that Daniel Graham, 39, and Adam Carruthers, 32, were responsible for the “mindless vandalism”, expertly and deliberately cutting it down with a chainsaw.

The felling also caused damage to part of Hadrian’s Wall, built by the Romans almost 2,000 years ago and now a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

General view of the felled Sycamore Gap in Northumberland

General view of the felled Sycamore Gap in Northumberland, Britain, September 28, 2023. (REUTERS/Lee Smith)

Graham and Carruthers, who travelled to the site in the Northumberland National Park from their homes in the Carlisle area, about 25 miles away, had denied any involvement. But they were convicted of two counts of criminal damage.

The men will be sentenced on July 15.

“For over a century, Sycamore Gap has been an iconic natural landmark in the north east of England, bringing immeasurable joy to those visiting the area,” Chief Crown Prosecutor Gale Gilchrist said.

“In just under three minutes, Graham and Carruthers ended its historic legacy in a deliberate and mindless act of destruction.”

During the trial, the jury was shown a video of their “moronic mission”, filmed on Graham’s mobile phone, which showed grainy footage of what appeared to be the iconic tree being cut down.

The prosecution said the men had taken a wedge of the tree as a trophy and messages they sent to each other afterwards showed they had been “revelling” in the worldwide reaction to the incident. No explanation has been given for their actions.

The National Trust, a heritage conservation charity which looks after the site, said last August there were signs of life at the base of the tree, giving hope it might live on.

You May Also Like

Mehnoosh Hatam Killed in DuSable Lake Shore Drive Crash - Internewscast Journal

Mehnoosh Hatam Killed in DuSable Lake Shore Drive Crash

CHICAGO () — A 49-year-old motorcyclist was killed Wednesday night in a…
Lindsay Clancy’s Ex-Husband Quietly Remarries, Starts New Chapter Amid Her Murder Trial - Internewscast Journal

Lindsay Clancy’s Ex-Husband Quietly Remarries, Starts New Chapter Amid Her Murder Trial

If you or someone you know is experiencing suicidal thoughts, call the…
Georgia State’s Ivanna Poliashenko Earns Math Degree in 14 Months - Internewscast Journal

Georgia State’s Ivanna Poliashenko Earns Math Degree in 14 Months

That’s what you call fast-track math. At just 19, Georgia State University…
Severe Storms to Slam Northeast as 32M Face Dangerous Flooding Threat - Internewscast Journal

Severe Storms to Slam Northeast as 32M Face Dangerous Flooding Threat

Powerful thunderstorms are forecast to push into the East Coast just as…
Stress-Free Back-to-School: 10 Essentials Parents Forget - Internewscast Journal

Stress-Free Back-to-School: 10 Essentials Parents Forget

As a participant in multiple affiliate marketing programs, Localish may earn a…
Montana Boy Killed on Carnival Ride Missing Restraints: Suit - Internewscast Journal

Montana Boy Killed on Carnival Ride Missing Restraints: Suit

A 13-year-old Montana boy died after he was allegedly thrown from a…
Judge to Weigh New Trial in Karmelo Anthony Texas Track Killing - Internewscast Journal

Judge to Weigh New Trial in Karmelo Anthony Texas Track Killing

Karmelo Anthony received a 35-year prison sentence after being convicted of fatally…
Aisha Wahab Wins California Special Election to Fill Eric Swalwell’s Congressional Seat - Internewscast Journal

Aisha Wahab Wins California Special Election to Fill Eric Swalwell’s Congressional Seat

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — California legislator Aisha Wahab won Thursday’s special election…
Police ID Chucky-Mask Suspect Accused of Terrorizing Philly Women - Internewscast Journal

Police ID Chucky-Mask Suspect Accused of Terrorizing Philly Women

Philadelphia police say they have identified the masked suspect accused of frightening…
California Father Attacked in Jacuzzi During Alleged iPhone Theft - Internewscast Journal

California Father Attacked in Jacuzzi During Alleged iPhone Theft

A California father’s quiet soak in a jacuzzi turned violent when two…
Lineage Reports 101.8% Cleanup Completion at Rotten Food Site, Yet Waste Remains - Internewscast Journal

Lineage Reports 101.8% Cleanup Completion at Rotten Food Site, Yet Waste Remains

The numbers are raising eyebrows. Lineage now claims it has cleared 101.8%…
Gov. Hochul Warns Holocaust Survivors About Restitution Scam - Internewscast Journal

Gov. Hochul Warns Holocaust Survivors About Restitution Scam

New York Gov. Kathy Hochul has issued a consumer warning after a…