Department of Energy cuts $3.7 billion in clean energy grants
Share this @internewscast.com

The grants were largely awarded during former President Joe Biden’s last few months in the White House.

WASHINGTON — On Friday, Energy Secretary Chris Wright announced the cancellation of nearly $4 billion worth of project grants, delivering a significant setback to efforts aimed at clean energy and reducing greenhouse gas emissions in the U.S. during President Donald Trump’s tenure.

These grants, mainly distributed in the closing months of President Joe Biden’s term, were intended for initiatives focused on capturing and storing carbon emissions underground. The projects also extended to improving cleaner cement production, natural gas, and other related technologies.

Among the 24 rescinded awards were $500 million for Heidelberg Materials US, Inc., $375 million for Eastman Chemical Company, $95 million for Nevada Gold Mines, LLC, and $270 million for Sutter CCUS. A list from the Department of Energy showed these details, with Sublime Systems expressing their “surprise and disappointment” after losing an $87 million grant.

“Today’s action is bad for U.S. competitiveness in the global market and also directly contradictory to the administration’s stated goals of supporting energy production and environmental innovation,” said Conrad Schneider, a senior director at the Clean Air Task Force. It “undercuts U.S. competitiveness at a time when there is a growing global market for cleaner industrial products and technologies.”

The news was a swift follow-up to plans the Energy Department announced earlier this month to review 179 funded projects, totaling over $15 billion, that were awarded by the Office of Clean Energy Demonstrations created under the 2021 bipartisan infrastructure law.

It is part of Wright’s pledge to ensure “responsible” spending — aligning with the government’s broader efficiency and cost-cutting measures, such as those recommended by the Department of Government Efficiency, which has significantly impacted federal research, workers and agencies.

“While the previous administration failed to conduct a thorough financial review before signing away billions of taxpayer dollars, the Trump administration is doing our due diligence to ensure we are utilizing taxpayer dollars to strengthen our national security, bolster affordable, reliable energy sources and advance projects that generate the highest possible return on investment,” Wright said in Friday’s statement.

Moreover, the announcement marks the latest of the administration’s attacks on clean energy, broadly, and its effort to slash federal support for projects addressing climate change.

The Trump administration has taken an ax to Biden-era environmental ambitions, rolled back landmark regulations, withdrawn climate project funding, and instead bolstered support for oil and gas production in the name of an “American energy dominance” agenda.

Steven Nadel, executive director of the American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy, called the news “shortsighted.”

Carbon capture has been a controversial climate solution, as skeptics say it enables the continued burning of fossil fuels oil, coal and natural gas that emit planet-warming greenhouse gases — including carbon dioxide — and distracts from the need to cut ties with those energy sources altogether. Though investment in the technology has grown, it also remains challenging to scale.

Industry decries the news

Organizations quickly decried the secretary’s actions, stressing that the cancelations don’t align with the administration’s goals to bolster domestic manufacturing or energy independence.

Jessie Stolark, the executive director of the nonpartisan Carbon Capture Coalition, said the news “is a major step backward” for carbon management technologies, which are “crucial to meeting America’s growing demand for affordable, reliable, and sustainable energy.”

“These projects are not just reducing pollution, they are keeping the U.S. on the cutting edge of manufacturing technology,” said Mike Williams, senior fellow on the energy and environment team at public policy and advocacy group the Center for American Progress. “Canceling these important projects will raise energy prices for consumers and sacrifice thousands of high-quality union jobs, all because the president wants to curry favor with Big Oil.”

Evan Gillespie, partner at decarbonization organization, Industrious Labs, said the move dismantles the economy and the future of American manufacturing and its workforce.

“Killing these projects means more emissions, more pollution, and more people getting sick,” he said.

Copyright 2025 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.     

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
After Bari Weiss cancels UCLA talk, UC President vows to protect free expression

UC President Pledges Free Speech Protection After Bari Weiss Cancels UCLA Event

The University of California’s President, James Milliken, has pledged to uphold both…
Iran covertly repositions strike drones amid Russia drills in Strait of Hormuz, expert says

Iran Secretly Moves Combat Drones as Russia Conducts Drills in Strait of Hormuz, Expert Reveals

In a strategic maneuver cloaked within joint military exercises, Iran has repositioned…
Fentanyl exposure scare forces courtroom evacuation during active trial

Fentanyl Exposure Shocks Courtroom: Trial Halted Amid Emergency Evacuation

In Washington state, a courtroom evacuation took place on Thursday involving nearly…
US Air Force's Richard Ramroop, husband allegedly stole $3M from government to fund lavish lifestyle, luxury cars and mansion

US Air Force Officer and Spouse Accused of $3M Fraud Scheme to Fund Opulent Lifestyle

An Air Force pharmacist from the United States and his spouse are…
Congressional ethics watchdog probes Rep. Tony Gonzales alleged affair with aide who fatally set herself on fire

Congressional Ethics Office Investigates Rep. Tony Gonzales Over Alleged Affair with Aide Involved in Tragic Incident

A congressional ethics watchdog is scrutinizing Rep. Tony Gonzales (R-Texas) following allegations…
Former Connecticut police chief arrested for allegedly stealing $85K in public funds

Ex-Connecticut Police Chief Faces Charges for Alleged $85K Public Fund Theft

In a surprising development, Karl Jacobson, the former Chief of Police in…
Vance Slams 'Lawlessness' of Supreme Court Tariffs Ruling

Vance Criticizes Supreme Court’s Decision on Tariffs as ‘Chaotic

Vice President JD Vance has voiced strong disapproval of the Supreme Court…
LADOT's 'don't poop on buses' campaign takes bizarre twist

LADOT’s Unconventional Campaign Tackles Unexpected Bus Cleanliness Issue

The plot has certainly thickened. The Los Angeles Department of Transportation has…
Yosemite National Park closed due to heavy snowfall, avalanche concerns

Yosemite National Park Shuts Down Amidst Record Snowfall and Avalanche Alerts: What Visitors Need to Know

Yosemite National Park has been compelled to close its gates following a…
How extreme cold is affecting Americans’ lives, according to a new AP-NORC poll

New AP-NORC Poll Reveals Impact of Severe Cold on Daily Life in America

WASHINGTON — As 2026 began, North America found itself in the grip…
New York to stop giving commercial drivers licenses to non-citizens

New York Halts Commercial Driver’s License Issuance to Non-Citizens: Implications for Workforce and Economy

New York state has decided to halt the issuance of driver’s licenses…
Rep. Nicole Malliotakis urges Trump to intervene as Coast Guard members are set to miss paychecks

Rep. Malliotakis Calls on Trump to Address Impending Pay Crisis for Coast Guard Personnel

A coalition of lawmakers, spearheaded by Representative Nicole Malliotakis (R-NY), has appealed…