Trump tells Post he's 'less confident' about Iran deal, but vows mullahs won't get nukes

Trump Expresses Doubts About the Iran Deal, but Promises to Prevent Nuclear Weapons Development

President Trump is becoming less optimistic that Iran will consent to halt all uranium enrichment as part of a new nuclear agreement with the United States. However, he remains firm in his commitment to prevent Tehran from acquiring a nuclear weapon, he shared with The Post’s Miranda Devine during the premiere of her podcast “Pod Force One,” which will be available on Wednesday.

When asked by Devine on Monday about the possibility of convincing Iran to terminate its nuclear program, Trump, 78, responded, “I’m not sure. I used to think it was possible, but now I am feeling increasingly doubtful about it.”


Every week, Post columnist Miranda Devine engages in exclusive and sincere talks with prominent change-makers in Washington. Subscribe here!


“They seem to be delaying, and I think that’s a shame, but I’m less confident now than I would have been a couple of months ago. Something happened to them, but I am much less confident of a deal being made.”

“What happens then?” asked Devine.

“Well, if they don’t make a deal, they’re not going to have a nuclear weapon,” Trump answered. “If they do make a deal, they’re not going have a nuclear weapon, too, you know? But they’re not going a have a new nuclear weapon, so it’s not going to matter from that standpoint.

“But it would be nicer to do it without warfare, without people dying, it’s so much nicer to do it. But I don’t think I see the same level of enthusiasm for them to make a deal. I think they would make a mistake, but we’ll see. I guess time will tell.”

Trump’s special Middle East envoy, Steve Witkoff, has been engaging in indirect talks with Tehran for months, with little progress.

Witkoff had previously floated the idea of allowing Iran to continue enriching uranium, but only for civilian purposes, an offer similar to former President Barack Obama’s 2015 nuclear deal, from which Trump withdrew the US three years later.

However, the State Department and White House have been adamant that Iran should not be allowed to enrich any whatsoever.

Asked by Devine whether he thought China influenced Tehran’s decision to resist the US entreaties, Trump said he did not believe that was the case.

“I just think maybe they don’t want to make a deal. What can I say?” he said. “And maybe they do. So what does that mean? There’s nothing final.”

On Tuesday, the Europe-based National Council of Resistance of Iran (NCRI), an opposition group, released an estimate that Tehran has spent at least $2 trillion on their nuclear development program over the past three decades.

If true, the expenditure outpaces the regime’s total oil revenue since 1979, which the NCRI estimates to be approximately $1.5 trillion.

The NCRI has said that much of this spending has been directed to the recently discovered “Kavir Plan,” which they believe to be the Iranian regime’s new covert nuclear weapons development scheme. 

“Tehran’s dash to obtain nuclear weapons has intensified,” warned the NCRI in a June 10 intelligence disclosure.

Over the past several months, the NCRI has revealed four locations they believe to be associated with the Kavir Plan — all four of which are located in or near the north-central Semnan Province, which the regime has designated as a military zone.

Kendall White contributed to this story.

You May Also Like

Irish Authorities Seek Extradition in American Mom Jamey Carney’s Murder - Internewscast Journal

Irish Authorities Seek Extradition in American Mom Jamey Carney’s Murder

Irish officials are reportedly moving to secure a warrant aimed at extraditing…
Police ID Chucky-Mask Suspect Accused of Terrorizing Philly Women - Internewscast Journal

Police ID Chucky-Mask Suspect Accused of Terrorizing Philly Women

Philadelphia police say they have identified the masked suspect accused of frightening…
Israeli defense minister puts NATO power on notice as Middle East tensions surge: ‘Dangerous adventures’

Israel Defense Chief Warns Turkey as Middle East Tensions Surge

Trump’s Turkey stance sparks concern amid NATO summit, Netanyahu warning As leaders…
Jury Says New York Times Defamed Former College Basketball Player Kai Spears, Awards $9.25M in Damages - Internewscast Journal

Jury Says New York Times Defamed Former College Basketball Player Kai Spears, Awards $9.25M in Damages

Tuscaloosa, Ala. — An Alabama jury has ordered The New York Times…
Teens Win $550K After Oregon Park Ride Trapped Them Upside Down - Internewscast Journal

Teens Win $550K After Oregon Park Ride Trapped Them Upside Down

Oregon theme park riders stuck upside down Emergency responders in Oregon rescued…
Suspected DUI Driver Charged in Perris Crash That Killed 8-Year-Old - Internewscast Journal

Suspected DUI Driver Charged in Perris Crash That Killed 8-Year-Old

A Southern California family is grieving the devastating loss of their 8-year-old…
UK Asylum Seeker Advice Sparks Backlash Over Controversial Children Poster - Internewscast Journal

UK Asylum Seeker Advice Sparks Backlash Over Controversial Children Poster

Debate over immigration policy in the U.K. has intensified, with critics arguing…
Kennedy Center, White House Ballroom Plans Reveal Italy-Carved Columns and Plaza Named for Trump - Internewscast Journal

Kennedy Center, White House Ballroom Plans Reveal Italy-Carved Columns and Plaza Named for Trump

Washington — As President Trump continues to defend in court his sweeping…
Mehnoosh Hatam Killed in DuSable Lake Shore Drive Crash - Internewscast Journal

Mehnoosh Hatam Killed in DuSable Lake Shore Drive Crash

CHICAGO () — A 49-year-old motorcyclist was killed Wednesday night in a…
Timeline: How 'Chucky' Mask Suspect Evaded Philadelphia Police - Internewscast Journal

Timeline: How ‘Chucky’ Mask Suspect Evaded Philadelphia Police

Surveillance video shows the tense moments a masked man, wearing a disturbing…
Surrogate Says Baby Was Taken 60 Seconds After Birth Amid Custody Fight Over Abortion Refusal - Internewscast Journal

Surrogate Says Baby Was Taken 60 Seconds After Birth Amid Custody Fight Over Abortion Refusal

A surrogate mother who says she rejected a request to end her…
Venezuelans, Cubans and Colombians Arrive in African Nation Under Trump Deportation Deal - Internewscast Journal

Venezuelans, Cubans and Colombians Arrive in African Nation Under Trump Deportation Deal

Liberia on Thursday took in its first deportation flight from the United…