Federal judge asks if National Guard deployment in Los Angeles violates Posse Comitatus Act

A federal judge recently questioned whether the Trump administration’s military presence in Los Angeles violates the Posse Comitatus Act, a law that prevents military forces from engaging in civilian law enforcement activities within the United States.

This query arose as California continued its legal opposition to President Donald Trump’s decision to deploy troops to handle protests against ICE in Los Angeles, bringing the case back to a San Francisco federal courtroom for a brief hearing. This follows a favorable decision for the Trump administration from an appeals court, with the 9th Circuit panel permitting the president to maintain command over National Guard units sent to manage the demonstrations.

U.S. District Judge Charles Breyer refrained from making any new rulings during the session but requested both parties to submit briefs by noon on Monday to discuss whether the federal department’s actions were in violation of the Posse Comitatus Act.

California Gov. Gavin Newsom, a Democrat, said in his complaint that “violation of the Posse Comitatus Act is imminent, if not already underway” but last week, Breyer delayed considering that allegation.

Protesters stand off against California National Guard

Trump argued that the troops are needed to restore order, while Newsom said their presence on the streets escalated tensions and wasted resources. (AP)

“The protests in Los Angeles fall far short of ‘rebellion,'” Breyer said.

The administration argued that courts cannot second-guess the president’s decisions. The appellate panel ruled that presidents do not have unchecked power to seize control of a state’s National Guard, but also said that by pointing to violent acts by protesters in this case, the administration had presented enough evidence to show it had reason for federalizing the troops.

The California National Guard will stay under federal control, at least for now, as the lawsuit proceeds.

This is the first federal deployment of a state National Guard without the governor’s permission since troops were sent to protect Civil Rights Movement marchers in 1965.

You May Also Like

Marc Jacobs Says He’d Dress Luigi Mangione for Trial in Candid Podcast Interview - Internewscast Journal

Marc Jacobs Says He’d Dress Luigi Mangione for Trial in Candid Podcast Interview

Marc Jacobs says he would not rule out dressing Luigi Mangione for…
Karmelo Anthony Prosecutor Reveals Evidence Jury Never Saw - Internewscast Journal

Karmelo Anthony Prosecutor Reveals Evidence Jury Never Saw

Hours before Austin Metcalf was fatally stabbed, Karmelo Anthony’s former girlfriend had…
Judge to Weigh New Trial in Karmelo Anthony Texas Track Killing - Internewscast Journal

Judge to Weigh New Trial in Karmelo Anthony Texas Track Killing

Karmelo Anthony received a 35-year prison sentence after being convicted of fatally…
Murder Convict Accused of Selling Drugs to Minors Near Texas Schools - Internewscast Journal

Murder Convict Accused of Selling Drugs to Minors Near Texas Schools

Pirro announces major drug bust near DC school U.S. Attorney Jeanine Pirro…
Irish Authorities Seek Extradition in American Mom Jamey Carney’s Murder - Internewscast Journal

Irish Authorities Seek Extradition in American Mom Jamey Carney’s Murder

Irish officials are reportedly moving to secure a warrant aimed at extraditing…
Philadelphia woman says she used stage combat training to fight off masked man chasing residents

Philadelphia Woman Uses Stage Combat to Fend Off Masked Man

A Philadelphia woman says her art school training helped her react in…
Court Docs: Driver in Tennessee Crash That Killed 2 College Cyclists Allegedly Never Braked - Internewscast Journal

Court Docs: Driver in Tennessee Crash That Killed 2 College Cyclists Allegedly Never Braked

A Tennessee motorist accused of plowing into a group of college cyclists,…
Melania Trump laughs off reports of her disappearance: 'I heard you missed me'

Melania Trump Dismisses Disappearance Rumors With ‘I Heard You Missed Me’

WASHINGTON — First lady Melania Trump cut through days of speculation about…
Bodybuilder Dwayne Quamina Dies at 40 After Final Message Urging Fans to Stop Taking Life for Granted - Internewscast Journal

Bodybuilder Dwayne Quamina Dies at 40 After Final Message Urging Fans to Stop Taking Life for Granted

Dwayne Quamina, a Navy veteran and Mr. Olympia competitor known to bodybuilding…
Georgia State’s Ivanna Poliashenko Earns Math Degree in 14 Months - Internewscast Journal

Georgia State’s Ivanna Poliashenko Earns Math Degree in 14 Months

That’s what you call fast-track math. At just 19, Georgia State University…
FBI arrests woman who allegedly plotted ISIS-linked attack on New York state Capitol building

FBI Arrests Woman Accused of Plotting ISIS-Linked Attack on New York State Capitol

A New York woman allegedly planned to bomb the New York State…
Untapped Karmelo Anthony evidence cache showed he stalked ex-girlfriend, had 'knives' obsession: prosecutors

Prosecutors Say Karmelo Anthony Evidence Cache Shows Stalking of Ex-Girlfriend and Knife Obsession

Prosecutors said Thursday that jurors who convicted Karmelo Anthony of murder never…