Ex-NUMC CEO Meg Ryan accused of stealing $1M in exit payouts — but calls allegation 'political hit-job'

Former NUMC CEO Meg Ryan Faces Accusations of Taking M in Severance Package, Labels Allegation a 'Political Attack'

The new leadership at Nassau University Medical Center has made significant allegations, claiming that the recently dismissed CEO embezzled a minimum of $1 million from the hospital through unauthorized exit payments, according to leaked documents.

In a letter addressed to former CEO Meg Ryan on Wednesday, interim CEO Dr. Richard Becker accused her of misappropriating the money for herself and 12 other staff members who left with her at the end of May.

“We have discovered that you approved payments totaling approximately $3.5 million to yourself and 12 former employees,” Becker stated in the letter, a copy of which was obtained by The Post. “It appears that at least $1 million of this total exceeded the amounts owed to you and the other employees for wages and leave compensations.”

Becker ends the letter by firing Ryan, removing her from administrative leave and giving her until Friday to respond to the allegations and possibly retain her job. The letter was leaked Thursday night by state officials as Ryan was preparing to present her case.

A rep for Ryan told The Post that the allegations and the subsequent leak are part of a “political hit-job” to try and derail her credibility and career by turning her resignation into a for-cause termination tied to claims of fraud.

The representative said Ryan unequivocally denies the accusations made in the letter — and is now firing back with a lawsuit against Becker and NuHealth, the public benefit company that runs the hospital, claiming that the corporation is “trying to wriggle out of its obligations” in Ryan’s contract by “ginning up ‘cause’ where none exists.

“This is an attempt to distract from the State’s own corruption in the handling of NUMC’s finances,” the rep for Ryan said. “This leak came straight from the second floor of the governor’s office. The people who perpetuated the fraud fired the people who uncovered the fraud — and now control the hospital.”

The former CEO has been battling with state officials for years and opposing the recent state takeover of the hospital. She is now part of a federal investigation into her bombshell claims of a $1 billion scheme by state and local officials to defund the public hospital.

The state denies it has any intention to shut down the medical center, which serves nearly 300,000 patients a year. But documents obtained by The Post revealed a letter that NUMC received from the state’s Department of Health, signed by Gov. Hochul, in March 2024 that said the hospital’s current model was financially unsustainable and specifically recommended it cut staff and be converted into a 120-bed behavioral health facility.

Nassau County Executive Bruce Blakeman announced he and the GOP majority in the county legislature would not be making their four combined picks to the newly formatted hospital board out of protest — and instead would be naming Hochul in another lawsuit to overturn the “illegal takeover.”

Since the takeover earlier this month, roughly 75 employees have resigned, including the hospital’s chief medical, nursing, human resources and information officers, as well as senior leaders in pharmacy, facilities, finance, and special projects.

Sources with the hospital also revealed to The Post that the new board may have violated state open meetings laws on top of others.

They claimed that the day Ryan was ousted as CEO in the first board meeting since restructuring, a finalized meeting agenda was not shared until an hour before the session.

They also accused hospital and board officials of breaking state procurement rules by signing an undisclosed contract with Deloitte to handle the hospital’s finances and operations.

NuHealth did not respond to a Post request for comment.

“The state’s focus at NUMC remains on patient care and the hospital’s fiscal stability. That’s all that matters — everything else is just noise,” said Gordon Tepper, the governor’s Long Island rep, last month.

You May Also Like

Military Sexual Assault Reports Drop for Third Year, Pentagon Says - Internewscast Journal

Military Sexual Assault Reports Drop for Third Year, Pentagon Says

Both formal sexual assault reports and the Pentagon’s estimated count of sexual…
Why LA Residents Fear Homeless Rollback Could Fuel Fires, Crime - Internewscast Journal

Why LA Residents Fear Homeless Rollback Could Fuel Fires, Crime

Angry Los Angeles residents are sounding the alarm after city leaders moved…
Paramount hits back at actor Mark Ruffalo over unhinged, 'antisemitic' rant against Warner Bros merger

Paramount Fires Back at Mark Ruffalo Over ‘Antisemitic’ Warner Bros. Merger Attack

Paramount is pushing back against Mark Ruffalo after the actor criticized the…
Supreme Court Lets White House Ballroom Construction Move Forward for Now - Internewscast Journal

Supreme Court Lets White House Ballroom Construction Move Forward for Now

Washington — The Supreme Court on Friday cleared the way, at least…
AOC Says She Has Completed Egg Retrieval, Promises More Updates on Fertility Journey - Internewscast Journal

AOC Says She Has Completed Egg Retrieval, Promises More Updates on Fertility Journey

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez has finished her egg-freezing process and says she plans…
17-Year-Old Victim Identified After Shooting at Bakersfield High School Football Game; 15-Year-Old Arrested - Internewscast Journal

17-Year-Old Victim Identified After Shooting at Bakersfield High School Football Game; 15-Year-Old Arrested

A 17-year-old former high school quarterback once seen as a rising football…
Rep. Emmer: Tim Walz Mining Ban Boosts China, Kills Jobs - Internewscast Journal

Rep. Emmer: Tim Walz Mining Ban Boosts China, Kills Jobs

House Majority Whip Tom Emmer (R-MN) sharply criticized Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz’s…
Mother Says Son’s Organs Were Removed Without Consent After Fatal Car Crash - Internewscast Journal

Mother Says Son’s Organs Were Removed Without Consent After Fatal Car Crash

Andrea Mauk was thousands of miles from home when she learned her…
Europe Wildfires Detonate Buried WWI, WWII Bombs and Mines - Internewscast Journal

Europe Wildfires Detonate Buried WWI, WWII Bombs and Mines

ELSENBORN, Belgium — As wildfires tear through parts of Europe this summer,…
Free Mickey & Me Kids Sports Clinic Comes to Chicago’s ComEd Rec Center With ESPN, Disney Jr. and ABC7 - Internewscast Journal

Free Mickey & Me Kids Sports Clinic Comes to Chicago’s ComEd Rec Center With ESPN, Disney Jr. and ABC7

CHICAGO () — Music, cheers from young participants and a special visit…
California Hawk Fire Triggers Urgent Evacuation Warnings - Internewscast Journal

California Hawk Fire Triggers Urgent Evacuation Warnings

A rapidly spreading wildfire near the Tahoe region has grown to about…
WNBA Team Debuts Mascot to Troll Fever’s Sophie Cunningham - Internewscast Journal

WNBA Team Debuts Mascot to Troll Fever’s Sophie Cunningham

The Toronto Tempo introduced a new non-binary mascot before their WNBA game…