Lionel Messi contract update with Inter Miami 'revealed' - after legend 'entered into shock talks with Saudi Arabian club'
Share this @internewscast.com

A significant development in the contract discussions between Lionel Messi and Inter Miami has come to light, courtesy of a transfer reporter, providing a clue about the future of the legendary Argentine player. 

It is little secret that the Argentinian legend’s contract expires at the end of this year, setting clubs around the world on red alert.

On Monday French outlet L’Equipe reported that the 38-year-old had entered talks with Saudi Arabian side Al-Ahli.

In 2023, he was said to have rejected an unprecedented $400million-a-year (£294m) offer from Al-Hilal, who went on to sign Neymar instead.

In any case, Inter Miami are ‘extremely confident’ of tying down Messi on fresh terms, according to The Athletic’s David Ornstein.

Inter Miami are reportedly 'extremely confident' that Lionel Messi will sign a new contract

Inter Miami are reportedly ‘extremely confident’ that Lionel Messi will sign a new contract

The 38-year-old has reportedly been in talks with Saudi Arabian Side Al-Ahli in recent days

The 38-year-old has reportedly been in talks with Saudi Arabian Side Al-Ahli in recent days

David Beckham, pictured at Wimbledon, wants to keep Messi as Inter Miami move to a new stadium

David Beckham, pictured at Wimbledon, wants to keep Messi as Inter Miami move to a new stadium

Since joining Miami in 2023, Messi has been a game-changer for the team, netting 52 goals and contributing 25 assists over 64 matches for the club owned by David Beckham.

He has significantly elevated the status of soccer in the United States. His debut, marked by a dramatic last-minute free-kick goal against Cruz Azul, became the most-viewed moment in American soccer history, attracting an audience of 12.5 million television viewers. 

Attendances for Inter Miami games in the group stages of the Club World Cup reached 51,000 – around 16,000 higher than the average.

Of course, Miami’s confidence that Messi will re-sign does not mean the deal is set in stone. 

According to one report, SPL figures have not given up hope of convincing Messi to join Al-Ahli, one of four clubs who are owned by the Saudi Arabian Public Investment Fund, alongside Al-Hilal, Al-Nassr and Al-Ittihad.

Although Miami are negotiating a one-year contract extension with Messi, the report adds that Al-Ahli have been trying to convince the eight-time Ballon d’Or winner to join them for several weeks.

Messi also has a history with the Middle Eastern state, having previously signed a three-year deal worth approximately $25m (£18.4m) with the Saudi Tourism Authority to promote the kingdom.

In 2023 he hinted that a move to the Saudi Pro League was an option that could be possible in the future. 

Miami are set to move to a $1billion, 25,000-seater stadium called Freedom Park in 2026

Miami are set to move to a $1billion, 25,000-seater stadium called Freedom Park in 2026

Messi has been Inter Miami's talisman since joining in 2023, scoring 52 goals and adding 25 assists

Messi has been Inter Miami’s talisman since joining in 2023, scoring 52 goals and adding 25 assists

‘I was thinking a lot about going to the Saudi league,’ he told TIME Magazine in March.

‘I know the country and they have created a very powerful competition that can become an important league in the near future.

‘As the country’s tourism ambassador, it was a destination that attracted me, especially because I’ve enjoyed everything I have visited, because of how football is growing in the country and because of the effort they are putting into creating a top competition.

‘It was Saudi Arabia or MLS, and both options seemed very interesting to me.’

If Messi was to join Al-Ahli, who won the AFC Champions League in 2024-25, he would join former Premier League stars Roberto Firmino, Riyad Mahrez, Edouard Mendy and Ivan Toney in their squad.

He would also come back into direct competition with his long-time rival Cristiano Ronaldo after the Portuguese superstar signed a new contract with Al-Nassr.

Meanwhile, Messi was recently in action at the Club World Cup before Miami were knocked out in the last-16 stage by his former club PSG after a 4-0 defeat.

Nevertheless, reflecting on Instagram after the game, Messi expressed his pride at his side’s performance.

Messi's former Barcelona and Argentina team-mate Javier Mascherano manages Inter Miami

Messi’s former Barcelona and Argentina team-mate Javier Mascherano manages Inter Miami

‘Today marks the end of the Club World Cup for us with a defeat against the current Champions League champions, where there are people I appreciate and I was happy to see again,’ he said.

‘We’re proud to have achieved our goal of finishing among the top 16 in the tournament. Now let’s focus on MLS and everything that’s coming up.’

Following that tournament, Messi was back in MLS action on Sunday and scored twice as Miami beat Montreal 4-1.

He is thought to be on around £46m per season with Miami, who are set to move to their new $1billion (£730m) Freedom Park Stadium in 2026.  

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

FC Barcelona’s Lamine Yamal Shares Sweet Moments with Rapper Girlfriend in New Photos

Barcelona rising star Lamine Yamal has officially revealed his relationship with rapper…

Introducing Xavi Simons: Tottenham’s New No. 10 with a Long History of Interest from Chelsea – The Former Wonderkid Joins with Something to Prove and Has Family Connections with a Teammate

Xavi Simons has been on the radar of Premier League teams for…

Rio Ferdinand Questions Man United’s £17m Transfer Target and Cautions About Possible Issues for Ruben Amorim’s Team

Rio Ferdinand has raised concerns about whether Manchester United’s potential signing, Senne…

Desperate Measures: Man United and Ruben Amorim’s Risky Moves for Revival Spell Disaster – Why Kobbie Mainoo’s Departure Might Be the Last Drop, Analyzes OLIVER HOLT

Manchester United fans have had plenty to lament since the club’s decline…

Wrexham Releases Former Record Signing After Playful Scolding from Ryan Reynolds

One of Wrexham’s most famous faces – Ollie Palmer – has departed…

Ruben Amorim Memes Take Over the Internet as He Remains on the Sidelines During Man United’s Humiliating Penalty Loss to Grimsby

Social media has erupted with criticism targeting Ruben Amorim following footage of…

Dave Portnoy Launches with a Bang on Fox TV: Criticizes Ohio State Fans Ahead of Texas Matchup as Barstool Leader

Dave Portnoy made a striking entrance on Fox’s ‘Big Noon Kickoff’ this…

Bournemouth Pursues £26 Million Striker Amid Transfer Battle with Brentford and Newcastle

Bournemouth are stepping up their interest in Amine Adli in a move…

Grimsby Triumphs Over Man United in 12-11 Penalty Shootout: What’s Next for Ruben Amorim’s Struggling Team After Carabao Cup Defeat?

Mocking Manchester United from the stands and teasing them with inflatable haddocks,…

Alexander Isak Isn’t a Traitor for Wanting to Leave Newcastle – Here’s Why Blame Should Be Directed Elsewhere Instead of Him

One of the stranger cameos on a thunderous night at St James’…