Bus driver allegedly stabbed in Caloundra
Share this @internewscast.com

Warning: This story contains graphic content.

A bus driver is recovering from surgery after an alleged stabbing attack on the Sunshine Coast, prompting calls from the transport union for the state government to take driver safety more seriously.

A 44-year-old man has been charged after a 67-year-old driver sustained a “serious” stab wound during an altercation at Caloundra Station around 11:30 am on July 12.

The driver underwent surgery to close the laceration in his neck after being transported to Sunshine Coast University Hospital.

Bus driver allegedly stabbed in Caloundra
A 44-year-old man has been charged after the 67-year-old driver was left with a “serious” stab wound. (Supplied)

The accused has been charged with serious assault of a person over 60, acts intended to cause grievous bodily harm, and possession of a knife in a public area.

Bus drivers affiliated with the Transport Workers Union are now urging the Queensland government to reinstate the “bus safety forum,” which was discontinued earlier this year.

TWU Queensland Director of Organising Josh Millroy said a safety forum was a crucial step in ensuring alleged attacks like this are prevented.

“This latest attack, where a bus driver has been stabbed in the neck on the Sunshine Coast, is absolutely devastating. We’re working closely with the driver and his colleagues,” Millroy said.

“Translink and the State Government’s decision to scrap these Safety Forums, without any consultation with drivers or their union, is a disgrace.”

Millroy said there have been several serious assaults on drivers since March and that “countless” incidents of aggression and verbal abuse take place daily.

Bus driver allegedly stabbed in Caloundra
The driver is now recovering after undergoing surgery. (Supplied)

In a separate incident, a 21-year-old was charged with assault occasioning bodily harm after allegedly assaulting a driver, 46, in Brisbane on June 23.

The bus driver allegedly suffered serious bruising to his face, eye, cheeks and the back of his head.

Millroy said the forum would have been an opportunity for drivers to voice their concerns and ask for better safety measures.

”Our members continue to face threats, abuse, and assault across Queensland’s bus network,” he said.

“These are not abstract risks, they are ongoing, traumatic, and very real. Removing the Forum removes transparency. It silences driver voices.”

Millroy said he wrote to Transport Minister Brent Mickelberg regarding this issue but has not heard back.

Queensland Transport and Main Roads Minister Brent Mickelberg’s statement in full:

My thoughts are with the bus driver, his family, and the first responders who provided assistance during this distressing incident.

Everyone deserves to feel safe on our public transport network and any act of violence against bus drivers or passengers is completely unacceptable.

This incident is currently under police investigation.

While the Bus Safety Forum can be reconvened to address safety concerns, we are also looking at different options to prioritise issues with key stakeholders to improve safety outcomes.

This is something we are taking extremely seriously.

Ensuring a safe working environment for bus drivers and other frontline transport workers is a top priority.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
Jetstar

Airbus Recall Grounds Jetstar Flights, Leading to Long Passenger Queues

Jetstar flights across the country are facing disruptions, with delays and cancellations…

Trump Challenges Biden’s Autopen Executive Orders: A New Political Showdown Unfolds

In a recent statement, former President Donald Trump announced his intention to…
WA man jailed for stealing intimate material and using 'evil twin' WiFi networks

Cyber Trickery: Man Sentenced for Crafting Deceptive ‘Evil Twin’ WiFi Networks at Australian Airports

A 44-year-old man has been sentenced to prison for orchestrating a scheme…
Lucas died after a stabbing in Sydney's Rouse Hill.

Family of Fatally Stabbed Teen Remembers Him as a ‘Loyal Young Man

The parents of a Sydney teenager who tragically lost his life in…

UN Urges Global Solidarity Following Trump’s Pledge to Halt Migration from Developing Nations

UN agencies have asked the US to continue to allow asylum seekers…
ACT Policing is urging the mother of the newborn baby to seek medical attention.

Heartbreaking Discovery: Newborn Baby Abandoned at Canberra Fire Station Sparks Urgent Response

Police are looking for dashcam footage after a a newborn baby was…

From Private Messages to Wedding Bells: The Rabbitohs Love Story Behind Australia’s ‘Royal Wedding

Like many modern relationships, it started with a slide into DMs on…
Ukraine's President Volodymyr Zelenskyy is under pressure from the US to take an unfavourable peace deal with Russia.

Top Aide to Zelenskyy Steps Down Following Anti-Corruption Probe at Residence

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy announced Friday the resignation of his powerful chief…
Survivor's incredible story from inside the Hong Kong horror blaze

Miraculous Escape: Survivor Shares Harrowing Tale from Devastating Hong Kong Fire

Just after 3 p.m., William Li received a startling call from his…
Victoria Police during the search for alleged shooter Dezi Freeman at Mount Buffalo National Park.

Ex-Detective Dismisses Recent Alleged Sighting in Search for Suspected Officer Killer

Nearly three months after the tragic killing of two officers in Victoria’s…

Unlocking Australia’s Billion-Dollar Opportunity: The Untapped Export Ready to Skyrocket

When Eleanor Gray borrowed a Hello Kitty DVD from her local library…
The train station art was labelled 'AI slop'

Sydney Train Station Takes Down Controversial ‘AI Slop’ Mural Following Public Outcry

A mural at Sydney’s Redfern train station has been taken down after…