2,000 National Guardsmen being withdrawn from Los Angeles mission, Pentagon confirms
Share this @internewscast.com

LOS ANGELES — The military presence in Southern California is being scaled back. The Pentagon has confirmed the withdrawal of 2,000 National Guardsmen from their assignment in Los Angeles.

Nearly 4,700 California National Guardsmen and active-duty Marines were initially sent to Los Angeles in early June. Their mission was to safeguard federal buildings and personnel amid protests against Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) operations in L.A.

“Thanks to our troops who stepped up to answer the call, the lawlessness in Los Angeles is subsiding. As such, the Secretary has ordered the release of 2,000 California National Guardsmen (79th IBCT) from the federal protection mission,” Chief Pentagon Spokesman Sean Parnell said in a statement provided to ABC News.

Many of the Guardsmen deployed to L.A. received specific training to provide perimeter security during ICE operations and were not carrying out law enforcement duties. They were, however, authorized to temporarily detain individuals if needed and then quickly turn them over to law enforcement personnel.

The federal troops’ domestic deployment raised multiple legal questions, including whether the administration would seek to employ emergency powers under the Insurrection Act to empower those forces to conduct law enforcement on U.S. soil, which they are not permitted to do except in rare circumstances. The Marines, however, are primarily assigned to protecting federal buildings.

READ MORE: Timeline: How ICE raids sparked LA protests and prompted Trump to send the military

Previously, the top military commander in charge of the troops deployed to Los Angeles asked Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth if 200 of those forces could be returned to wildfire fighting duty.

Some politicians sounded he alarm, saying National Guard troops who would normally be working on state fire prevention and drug enforcement were deployed to L.A.

California has just entered peak wildfire season, and Gov. Gavin Newsom warned that the Guard was understaffed due to the Los Angeles protest deployment.

The top military commander of those troops, U.S. Northern Command head Gen. Gregory Guillot, submitted a request to Hegseth to return 200 of the National Guard troops back to Joint Task Force Rattlesnake, which is the California National Guard’s wildfire unit, the officials said.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Copyright © 2025 KABC Television, LLC. All rights reserved.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
New video emerges of DC National Guard shooting as soldier clings to life

Shocking Footage Released: DC National Guard Incident Leaves Soldier Critically Injured

New video emerges of DC National Guard shooting Fox News correspondent Madeleine…
Netanyahu requests pardon from Israeli president, after Trump letter urging clemency

Netanyahu Seeks Presidential Pardon Following Trump’s Clemency Appeal: A Political Twist in Israel

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has reached out to President Isaac Herzog…
JoJo Siwa reveals painful health scare before Black Friday performance

JoJo Siwa Opens Up About Health Scare Ahead of Anticipated Black Friday Concert

JoJo Siwa recently revealed that a ruptured ovarian cyst led to an…
Browns open to giving Shedeur Sanders 'extended look' as starter

Cleveland Browns Consider Shedeur Sanders for Starting QB Role: An In-Depth Look

Shedeur Sanders may soon find himself leading the Cleveland Browns as their…
Asking Eric: Husband does housework while wife plays online games

Role Reversal: How One Husband’s Chores Empower His Wife’s Gaming Passion

Dear Eric, I am a 47-year-old man who has been married to…
Mass shooting at Stockton, California, banquet hall leaves 4 dead, 10 wounded

Tragic Mass Shooting at Stockton Banquet Hall Claims Four Lives, Injures Ten Others

A tragic mass shooting in Stockton, California, on Saturday evening resulted in…
Massachusetts man accused of beating parents and setting home on fire, leaving them to die

Massachusetts Man Charged with Assaulting Parents and Allegedly Setting Their Home Ablaze

In a deeply unsettling incident, a Massachusetts man has been arrested for…
National Guardsman Andrew Wolfe still ‘fighting for his life’ after DC shooting

National Guardsman Andrew Wolfe in Critical Condition Following Washington, D.C. Shooting

In a harrowing incident in Washington, D.C., West Virginia National Guardsman Andrew…
Victims in deadly Colorado carjacking crash identified as suspect's ID kept under wraps: 'Incomprehensible'

Identities of Colorado Carjacking Crash Victims Revealed, Suspect’s Name Remains Confidential

Authorities have identified the victims of a tragic car crash in Colorado…
Analyzing Japanese free agents heading to MLB after Yankees declared interest

Yankees Eye Japanese Free Agents: MLB’s Next Big International Talent Surge

The New York Yankees are signaling a strong intention to re-engage with…
Apple TV pulls show ahead of premiere over plagiarism accusations

Apple TV Halts Show Launch Amidst Controversy: Plagiarism Allegations Unveiled

The release of the French thriller “The Hunt” on Apple TV has…
San Francisco doctor's steady hand masters the art of surgery

Discover How a San Francisco Surgeon Perfects Precision in the Operating Room

SAN FRANCISCO — Discipline, creativity, and precision are essential traits for an…