Pentagon ends deployment of 2,000 National Guard troops in LA

Pentagon Withdraws 2,000 National Guard Troops from Los Angeles Deployment

Roughly 4,000 National Guard soldiers and 700 Marines have been in the city since early June.

LOS ANGELES — The Pentagon announced Tuesday it will be concluding the deployment of 2,000 National Guard troops in Los Angeles, representing almost half of the forces sent to the city to handle the protests concerning the Trump administration’s immigration enforcement.

Approximately 4,000 National Guard members and 700 Marines have been stationed in the city since early June. It remains unclear what led to the abrupt end of the 60-day deployment, and there has been no immediate clarification on the duration of the remaining troops’ presence in the area.

In late June, the senior military leader overseeing the forces in Los Angeles had appealed to Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth to reassign 200 troops to wildfire fighting activities, following Governor Newsom’s warnings about the Guard’s understaffing as California approached its peak wildfire season.

The end of the deployment comes a week after federal authorities and National Guard troops arrived at MacArthur Park with guns and horses in an operation that ended abruptly. Although the U.S. Department of Homeland Security wouldn’t explain the purpose of the operation or whether anyone had been arrested, local officials said it seemed designed to sow fear.

“Thanks to our troops who stepped up to answer the call, the lawlessness in Los Angeles is subsiding,” Chief Pentagon spokesman Sean Parnell said in a statement in announcing the decision.

On June 8, thousands of protesters took to the streets in response to Trump’s deployment of the Guard, blocking off a major freeway as law enforcement used tear gas, rubber bullets and flash bangs to control the crowd. Photos captured several Waymo robotaxis set on fire.

A day later, police officers used flash bangs and shot projectiles as they pushed protesters through Little Tokyo, where bystanders and restaurant workers rushed to get out of their way.

Mayor Karen Bass set a curfew in place for about a week that she said had successfully protected businesses and helped restore order. Demonstrations in the city and the region in recent weeks have been largely small impromptu protests around arrests.

The Marines are primarily assigned to protect federal buildings while hundreds of the National Guard troops have been accompanying agents on immigration operations.

President Donald Trump ordered the deployment against the wishes of Gov. Gavin Newsom, who sued to stop it.

Newsom sued to block Trump’s command of the California National Guard, arguing that Trump violated the law when he deployed the troops despite his opposition. He also argued that the National Guard troops were likely violating the Posse Comitatus Act, which prohibits troops from conducting civilian law enforcement on U.S. soil.

Newsom won an early victory in the case after a federal judge ruled the Guard deployment was illegal and exceeded Trump’s authority. But an appeals court tossed that order, and control of the troops remained with the federal government. The federal court is set to hear arguments next month on whether the troops are violating the Posse Comitatus Act.

The deployment of National Guard troops was for 60 days, though Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth had the discretion to shorten or extend it “to flexibly respond to the evolving situation on the ground,” the Trump administration’s lawyers wrote in a June 23 filing in the legal case.

Following the Pentagon’s decision Tuesday, Newsom said in a statement that the National Guard’s deployment to Los Angeles County has pulled troops away from their families and civilian work “to serve as political pawns for the President.”

He added that the remaining troops “continue without a mission, without direction and without any hopes of returning to help their communities.”

“We call on Trump and the Department of Defense to end this theater and send everyone home now,” he said.

Klepper reported from Washington and Taxin from Santa Ana, California. Sophie Austin in Sacramento, Julie Watson in San Diego and Hallie Golden in Seattle contributed to this report.

Copyright 2025 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.     

You May Also Like

Montana Boy Killed on Carnival Ride Missing Restraints: Suit - Internewscast Journal

Montana Boy Killed on Carnival Ride Missing Restraints: Suit

A 13-year-old Montana boy died after he was allegedly thrown from a…
Biden COVID Advisor Texted Fauci About FOIA Dodge: Report - Internewscast Journal

Biden COVID Advisor Texted Fauci About FOIA Dodge: Report

A newly surfaced text message from Anthony Fauci’s government cellphone is drawing…
Idaho Probation Officers Compile Foreign-Born List for ICE, Sparking Criticism - Internewscast Journal

Idaho Probation Officers Compile Foreign-Born List for ICE, Sparking Criticism

Texas and Minnesota clash over extradition of ICE agent Christian Castro Texas…
HHS warns Texas hospitals against denying life-saving care to newborn with disability

Parents Demand Six-Figure Payment From Surrogate Who Refused Abortion After Baby’s Heart Diagnosis: Report

The biological parents of a baby born through surrogacy are pursuing more…
Bronx man accused of attacking Shabbat worshippers admitted motive in recorded interview, feds say

Feds Say Bronx Shabbat Attack Suspect Admitted Motive on Tape

A Bronx resident facing federal hate crime charges after a violent disturbance…
Black Bear Dies After Days Trying to Escape a Locked Car - Internewscast Journal

Black Bear Dies After Days Trying to Escape a Locked Car

A black bear in Colorado was found dead after becoming trapped for…
Bloodied, ejected Marine Corps pilot seen calm and collected after Washington crash destroys aircraft

Bloodied Marine Pilot Calm After Ejecting in Washington Crash

Newly released bodycam video shows Marine Corps F-18 pilot Maj. Jackson Simon…
Outrage as Pasadena Mailman Caught on Video Attacking Peacock - Internewscast Journal

Outrage as Pasadena Mailman Caught on Video Attacking Peacock

PASADENA, Calif. — A Pasadena neighborhood is upset after video surfaced showing…
Plane, Police Helicopter Midair Crash Kills 1 in Pennsylvania - Internewscast Journal

Plane, Police Helicopter Midair Crash Kills 1 in Pennsylvania

A midair crash Wednesday evening between a Pennsylvania State Police helicopter and…
Martin County sheriff’s deputies track a vehicle before the arrest of Moniquie Love Turnbull in Florida

Florida Woman Accused of Scamming Senior, Hiding Thousands in Stolen Cash Inside Her Body

A Florida woman accused of impersonating a bank employee to defraud an…
DEA Joins Probe Into Death Case Linked to Hayden Panettiere: Sources - Internewscast Journal

DEA Joins Probe Into Death Case Linked to Hayden Panettiere: Sources

Claims that the Drug Enforcement Administration has joined an investigation into the…
Police ID Chucky-Mask Suspect Accused of Terrorizing Philly Women - Internewscast Journal

Police ID Chucky-Mask Suspect Accused of Terrorizing Philly Women

Philadelphia police say they have identified the masked suspect accused of frightening…