North Korea bans foreign tourists to newly opened beach resort
Share this @internewscast.com

North Korea is prohibiting the entry of foreign visitors to a newly inaugurated mega beach resort, a decision that dampens the prospects for the facility, which leader Kim Jong Un praised as “one of the greatest successes this year.”

DPR Korea Tour, a website managed by North Korea’s tourism authorities, announced on Friday that the Wonsan-Kalma tourist complex along the eastern coast “is temporarily not admitting foreign tourists.”

It gave no further details including why a ban was established or how long it would last.

North Korea says the complex can accommodate nearly 20,000 guests.

The resort became accessible to domestic visitors on July 1, followed by a small group of Russian visitors last week. Analysts anticipated that North Korea would allow Chinese tourists while primarily restricting other international visitors.

Ban comes after visit by Russia’s top diplomat

The announcement came after Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov flew to the complex to meet Kim and Foreign Minister Choe Son Hui for talks last weekend.

North Korea and Russia have sharply expanded military and other cooperation in recent years, with North Korea supplying weapons and troops to back Russia’s war against Ukraine.

During a meeting with Choe, Lavrov promised to take steps to support Russian travel to the zone.

“I am sure that Russian tourists will be increasingly eager to come here,” he said.

But experts say North Korea likely decided to halt foreign travel to the zone because of a newspaper article by a Russian reporter who traveled with Lavrov that implied North Koreans at the zone appeared to be mobilized by authorities and not real tourists.

“The North Korean government is believed to have determined that it would face some negative consequences when it opens the site to foreigners,” said Oh Gyeong-seob, an analyst at Seoul’s Korea Institute for National Unification.

Oh said the ban would include Russians, but the North Korea-focused NK News website, citing tour groups specializing in North Korea trips, said Russians won’t likely be targeted.

Analyst Lee Sangkeun of Seoul’s Institute for National Security Strategy said the ban could be associated with difficulties in recruiting Russian tourists because many would consider North Korea too far away and the trip too expensive.

Ban likely won’t remain for long

Experts say North Korea must open the Wonsan-Kalma zone, the country’s biggest tourist complex, to Russian and Chinese tourists, given what was likely a huge construction and operational expenditure from the country’s tight budget.

“If foreign tourists aren’t allowed to the site, no Russian rubles, Chinese yuans and dollars won’t come in. Then, North Korea can’t break even and it has to shut down the resort,” said Ahn Chan-il, head of the World Institute for North Korean Studies think tank in Seoul.

Kim has said the site would be “one of the greatest successes this year” and “the proud first step” in tourism development.

North Korea’s state media reports the Wonsan-Kalma site has been crowded with local tourists.

The first group of 15 Russian tourists arrived in the resort July 11 after visiting Pyongyang, the North Korean capital, NK News reported earlier this week.

“It was magnificent. Everything is new, clean and stunning,” Russian tourist Nina Svirida said in the report.

North Korea has been slowly easing the curbs imposed during the COVID-19 pandemic and reopening its borders in phases.

But the country hasn’t said if it would fully resume international tourism.

Chinese group tours, which made up more than 90% of visitors before the pandemic, remain stalled. In February, North Korea allowed a small group of international tourists to visit the northeastern city of Rason, only to stop the program in less than a month.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like
Ryan Wedding: FBI seizes $13 million Mercedes CLK-GTR Roadster connected to former Olympian turned alleged drug kingpin

FBI Seizes $13 Million Mercedes CLK-GTR Roadster Linked to Ex-Olympian and Alleged Drug Kingpin Ryan Wedding

The FBI recently confiscated an incredibly rare car valued at $13 million,…
Victims in deadly Colorado carjacking crash identified as suspect's ID kept under wraps: 'Incomprehensible'

Identities of Colorado Carjacking Crash Victims Revealed, Suspect’s Name Remains Confidential

Authorities have identified the victims of a tragic car crash in Colorado…
Ukrainian official Yermak resigns as corruption probe encircles Zelenskyy

Ukrainian Official Steps Down Amid Intensifying Corruption Investigation Involving Zelenskyy Administration

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has confirmed that Andriy Yermak, the head of…
Pope Leo tours Istanbul's famous Blue Mosque, declines to pray alongside imam

Pope Leo Visits Istanbul’s Iconic Blue Mosque, Chooses Not to Pray with Imam

Pope Leo XIV visited Istanbul’s renowned Blue Mosque on Saturday, choosing to…
Texas girl rescued after sand hole she was digging collapses, burying her

Heroic Rescue: Texas Girl Saved After Sand Hole Collapse During Beach Outing

A 12-year-old girl found herself in a perilous situation in Texas when…
'It didn’t feel real': Georgia teen dances his way to New York City for Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade

Georgia Teen’s Dance Journey Takes Him to the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade in New York City

As vibrant floats and rhythmic marching bands made their way down 34th…
Afghan National Freed Under Biden Program Arrested After TikTok Bomb Threat in Fort Worth

Controversial Release: Afghan National’s TikTok Bomb Threat Shakes Fort Worth After Biden Program Grant

An Afghan national, who entered the United States through President Biden’s Operation…
National Guardsman Andrew Wolfe still ‘fighting for his life’ after DC shooting

National Guardsman Andrew Wolfe in Critical Condition Following Washington, D.C. Shooting

In a harrowing incident in Washington, D.C., West Virginia National Guardsman Andrew…
CIA‑Linked Zero Unit Fighter Accused of Killing DC National Guard

Shocking Allegations: CIA-Linked Operative Tied to DC National Guard’s Fatal Incident

A former CIA-backed Afghan commando accused of gunning down two West Virginia…
Rangers fail to duplicate road success at MSG, fall to 2-8-1 at home after loss to Lightning

Rangers Struggle to Replicate Road Triumphs at MSG, Suffer 2-8-1 Home Record with Loss to Lightning

By Allan Kreda The New York Rangers are currently leading the NHL…
National Guardsman shot in DC is 'hanging on,' family pleading for prayer, congressman says

Family Seeks Prayers as National Guardsman Fights for Life After DC Shooting, Congressman Reports

In a pressing call for hope and support, a West Virginia National…
Dad fights off repeat offender accused of creeping toward kids as family slept – ‘Somebody’s in our house’

Brave Dad Confronts Intruder Threatening Family’s Safety While They Slept

A family in Denver recently experienced a scenario that would send chills…