Number of missing plummets to 3 in hard-hit Kerr County in wake of Texas floods
Share this @internewscast.com

The number of individuals reported missing after the severe flooding on July 4 in Kerr County, Texas, has significantly decreased from over 160 to just three, as many have now been confirmed safe, officials announced on Saturday.

Authorities attributed the decrease to “extensive follow-up work” and “extraordinary efforts,” after 173 individuals across the state were initially reported missing amid floodwaters that rose two stories high, according to nearly identical statements from both Kerr County and the city of Kerrville.

“This impressive progress is the result of numerous hours of coordinated search and rescue missions, thorough investigative efforts, and a steadfast commitment to providing clarity and hope to families during a distressingly challenging period,” stated Kerrville City Manager Dalton Rice in the announcements.

Dozens upon dozens of people reported missing by loved ones were taken off a list of missing persons after their safety was verified, officials said.

“Many individuals who were initially reported as missing have been verified as safe and removed from the list,” the city and county statements said. “This has been an ongoing effort as investigators worked diligently to verify reports of missing persons and confirm their status.”

County officials did not immediately respond to a request for more information Saturday. It wasn’t clear if any one factor, such as the return of cellphone service interrupted by the storm, may have been instrumental in locating those initially reported as missing.

Rapidly rising floodwaters in the early morning hours of July 4 swept through river-adjacent summer camp bungalows, washed cars off roadways and left some survivors clinging to trees.

A “flood wave” also swept down the Guadalupe River, rapidly increasing its depth and damaging structures along its banks. Federal weather data showed the Guadalupe, which runs through Kerville and Kerr County, rose 26 feet in 45 minutes.

At least 27 campers and staff members died at Camp Mystic, which was hosting more than 750 children when it was inundated by the sudden river flooding.

The process of warning residents is under scrutiny as the federal Integrated Public Alert & Warning System was not used to send Emergency Alert System texts to cellphone users in the region.

Sen. Ruben Gallego, D-Arizona, earlier this week called for a formal investigation into the Department of Homeland Security’s response to the flooding.

President Donald Trump toured flood-damaged Kerrville last week and defended the stance of his administration, saying the federal response was immediate. Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem was “there right from the beginning,” the president said.

State and local officials have also had to grapple with criticism of the lack of timely alerts being sent to residents ahead of the floods.

“It happened so rapidly that nobody, nobody could have anticipated it,” Kerrville City Manager Dalton Rice told NBC News this week, arguing that the historic and overwhelming nature of the flooding could barely be avoided with the best warnings and forecasts.

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Survivors of Hong Kong Apartment Fire Reflect on Their Next Steps

HONG KONG – It was a typical afternoon when William Li received…

Post-Thanksgiving Travel Alert: Snow, Rain, and Cold Weather Set to Impact Journeys

As the Thanksgiving holiday weekend continues, travelers should brace themselves for a…

Heroic Sibling Rescue: How an Older Brother Saved His 10-Year-Old Sister in a Hawkins County ATV Accident

What began as a typical Saturday evening in Hawkins County quickly transformed…

Jonesborough Illuminates the Season with Annual Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony

The heart of Tennessee’s oldest town, Jonesborough, sprang to life as the…

Bristol Rhythm & Roots Reveals Additional Artists for Its 2026 ’25 Artists for 25 Years’ Celebration

The Birthplace of Country Music has unveiled the first 25 artists set…

Legionnaires’ Disease Alert: Ocoee Gym Under Investigation for Potential Outbreak

OCOEE, Fla. – A cloud of concern hovers over a local fitness…

Trader Joe’s Set to Open First Melbourne Location This December, Company Announces

MELBOURNE, Fla. – The eagerly awaited Trader Joe’s store in Central Florida…

Community Outcry Escalates: Arrests Spark Controversy 100 Days Post Rainbow Crosswalk Removal

In Orlando, Florida, a crosswalk near the former Pulse nightclub has become…

Ex-CIA Employee from Afghanistan Commits Shooting in DC After Cross-Country Drive

Rahmanaullah Lakanwal, a 29-year-old who once served with an agency in Afghanistan,…

Escalating Tensions: Russian Strikes Claim Lives in Kyiv Amid Renewed Diplomatic Push for Peace in Ukraine

KYIV – In the early hours of Saturday, Kyiv faced a deadly…

African Union Temporarily Suspends Guinea-Bissau Following Military Coup

DAKAR – In response to a military coup, the African Union has…

Orlando’s Small Businesses Gear Up for Record-Breaking Saturday Shopping Rush

ORLANDO, Fla. – In a bid to accommodate the influx of shoppers,…