CHINA - APRIL 11: A view of the mall and surroundings at the South China Mall, in Dongguan, China, on Wednesday, April 11, 2007. The world's largest shopping center looks almost deserted on a recent afternoon. While schoolchildren ride the sidewinder and roller coaster, there are few shoppers and fewer tenants at South China Mall in central Dongguan, a city of 6 million north of Hong Kong. (Photo by Michael Lassman/Bloomberg via Getty Images)

A HUGE shopping centre that once boasted canals and was designed to be the “biggest in the world” now lies empty after visitor numbers collapsed.

The mega building had room for more than 2,000 shops and its very own theme park – complete with rollercoaster – but is reportedly near deserted.

CHINA - APRIL 11: A view of the mall and surroundings at the South China Mall, in Dongguan, China, on Wednesday, April 11, 2007. The world's largest shopping center looks almost deserted on a recent afternoon. While schoolchildren ride the sidewinder and roller coaster, there are few shoppers and fewer tenants at South China Mall in central Dongguan, a city of 6 million north of Hong Kong. (Photo by Michael Lassman/Bloomberg via Getty Images)
Vast swathes of the New South China Mall are empty

The New South China Mall in Dongguan was expected to be the “busiest” in the world when it opened in 2004.

However, recent footage from inside the building shows vast swathes of empty retail units.

The 7million sqft shopping centre was designed like a “small city” with themed areas based on Paris, Venice and California.

Shoppers could travel around on gondolas or even visit the massive cinema.

The location however is said to be part of the reason why the mall has struggled over the years.

“The city of Dongguan is populated by factory workers and families with limited income, not the affluent shoppers the mall aimed to draw,” reports Built To Collapse.

“Moreover, the mall was located far from the bustling areas. It lacked convenient public transportation, making it difficult for even city residents to reach it.”

CHINA - APRIL 11: The South China Mall is seen from the performance stage in Dongguan, China, on Wednesday, April 11, 2007. The world's largest shopping center looks almost deserted on a recent afternoon. While schoolchildren ride the sidewinder and roller coaster, there are few shoppers and fewer tenants at South China Mall in central Dongguan, a city of 6 million north of Hong Kong. (Photo by Michael Lassman/Bloomberg via Getty Images)
The shopping centre underwent a huge renovation in 2015

In 2008, it was forecast that around 99 per cent of the mall was left empty, leading to it being dubbed a “ghost mall”.

The shopping centre underwent a huge renovation in 2015 and saw an uplift in occupancy.

However, when YouTuber Nico visited last year, she found that while some parts of the mall were “thriving,” others were struggling.

Horror vids show floods swamp China turning roads into rapids with at least 38 killed and 80k evacuated from Beijing

She discovered parts of the upper floors were still being renovated.

Nico and her husband Jack also found the theme park had shut down when they visited, with a letter explaining the operator’s lease had expired.

Jack remarked: “If we had visited just a few weeks earlier, we could have ridden the train track, enjoyed the go-karts, and even petted the dinosaur.”

The New South China Mall in Dongguan was expected to be the “busiest” in the world when it was opened in 2004. However, footage from inside the building shows vast swathes of empty retail units.
There are dozens of empty shops in the New South China Mall in Dongguan

Nico and Jack also found problems with the mall’s location.

Nico added: “It’s nowhere near any public transport and Shenzhen and Guangzhou have quite a few malls anyway, so why would people come this far?”

Nico says she had heard the $1.31bn mall had seen a spike in occupancy but found a different picture when she visited.

She mentioned: “I read that this mall is nearly at full capacity, but I suspect that’s a bit of an exaggeration because there are numerous empty shops and retail spaces, particularly on the second and third floors of this building.”

“But, on the ground floor though, that is thriving and there’s loads and loads of stuff down there.”

The New South China Mall in Dongguan was expected to be the “busiest” in the world when it was opened in 2004. However, footage from inside the building shows vast swathes of empty retail units.
The South China Mall was the brainchild of instant noodle billionaire Hu Guirong

Nico notes that shifting away from luxury shops towards businesses sustainable by the local community made it “more attractive” for residents of Dongguan, with ventures like nail bars and smaller stores.

The South China Mall was the brainchild of instant noodle billionaire Hu Guirong.

It remains the fifth-largest shopping centre in the world.

‘A shopper’s paradise’ – inside the Iran Mall

Exploring the World’s Largest Abandoned Shopping Center: Rusting Rollercoasters, Empty Canals, and 2,000 Vacant Stores

The largest shopping centre in the world is currently occupied by the Iran Mall in Tehran, which boasts more than 3,410,000 sqft of shopping space.

The Iran Mall opened in 2018 and is home to more than 2,500 shops. It has space to park around 20,000 cars.

The shopper’s paradise has everything from gourmet food stalls to the fanciest shops around – despite being in a very surprising location.

The sheer size of the entire mega mall complex takes up the same size as 246 football pitches as it stretches across 21 million sqft.

It is located near to Lake Chitgar in the capital city of Tehran.

The centre was opened in 2018 after 25,000 workers spent four years on construction.

It has been designed to showcase the best modern interpretation of Iranian Islamic architecture.

This has been done through crafted dome roofs, technical arches and hundreds of traditional Iranian ornaments.

You May Also Like

Dawn of the Dead Actor’s Home Destroyed in Blaze Caught on Video - Internewscast Journal

Dawn of the Dead Actor’s Home Destroyed in Blaze Caught on Video

Tom Savini, the “Dawn of the Dead” star and celebrated horror effects…
Florida Man Accused of Stuffing Stepfather's Remains in Suitcases - Internewscast Journal

Florida Man Accused of Stuffing Stepfather’s Remains in Suitcases

A Florida probationer is facing a first-degree murder charge after authorities say…
Venice Residents Hire Former MS-13 Members as Homeless Crisis Deepens - Internewscast Journal

Venice Residents Hire Former MS-13 Members as Homeless Crisis Deepens

Frustrated residents in an upscale Venice Beach neighborhood have turned to an…
NYC Woman Dies After Being Struck by Stray Bullet - Internewscast Journal

NYC Woman Dies After Being Struck by Stray Bullet

A 33-year-old woman who police say was not involved in a Brooklyn…
Border Wall Construction on Reservation Approved, Clearing Way for New Barriers - Internewscast Journal

Border Wall Construction on Reservation Approved, Clearing Way for New Barriers

A federal judge has allowed border wall construction in Arizona to move…
Florida Man Accused of Throwing Dog Feces at Neighbor, Threatening Him With Child’s Scooter: Police - Internewscast Journal

Florida Man Accused of Throwing Dog Feces at Neighbor, Threatening Him With Child’s Scooter: Police

A messy neighborhood dispute in Florida appears to have gone far beyond…
Louisiana Man Accused of Killing Wife, Driving Across States With Her Body - Internewscast Journal

Louisiana Man Accused of Killing Wife, Driving Across States With Her Body

FBI touts historic violent crime drop as Trump praises law enforcement Fox…
Iran calls on Houthis to prepare to cut off Red Sea gateway — can the terror group do it?

Houthi Attacks Turn Bab el-Mandeb Into Next Hormuz Flashpoint

A surge in attacks by Iran-backed Houthi fighters on vessels transiting the…
Trump Blames Vandals for Dead Grass on National Mall After Fourth of July Celebration - Internewscast Journal

Trump Blames Vandals for Dead Grass on National Mall After Fourth of July Celebration

President Donald Trump is pointing to vandals as the cause of large…
Better Home & Finance CEO Vishal Garg, Known for 900-Person Zoom Layoff, Seeks Return to Top Job - Internewscast Journal

Better Home & Finance CEO Vishal Garg, Known for 900-Person Zoom Layoff, Seeks Return to Top Job

Vishal Garg says he feels betrayed. “He hoodwinked me,” the recently removed…
Nevada Man Pleads Guilty in Cartel Firearms Buying Scheme - Internewscast Journal

Nevada Man Pleads Guilty in Cartel Firearms Buying Scheme

A Nevada man admitted in federal court Friday that he bought high-powered…
Kentucky Farmer’s 6-Word Reply to $26M Data Center Offer - Internewscast Journal

Kentucky Farmer’s 6-Word Reply to $26M Data Center Offer

A determined Kentucky farmer who proudly describes herself as a “country hick”…