Share this @internewscast.com
From left to right: Kilmar Abrego Garcia attends a protest at the Immigration and Customs Enforcement office in Baltimore on Monday, Aug. 25, 2025 (AP Photo/Stephanie Scarbrough). Kristi Noem addresses a news conference at Nashville International Airport on Thursday, July 17, 2025, in Nashville, Tennessee (AP Photo/George Walker IV). Pam Bondi delivers remarks at a press briefing in the James S. Brady Press Briefing Room at the White House in Washington, DC, on Friday, June 27, 2025 (Annabelle Gordon/Sipa USA/AP Images).
On Thursday, attorneys for Kilmar Abrego Garcia submitted a motion requesting that a judge impose a gag order, specifically targeting several officials from the Trump administration, with particular emphasis on U.S. Attorney General Pam Bondi and Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem.
This appeal is tied to the human smuggling criminal case against Abrego Garcia in Tennessee, under the purview of U.S. District Judge Waverly Crenshaw, Jr., appointed by Barack Obama.
The motion follows ongoing disputes over both parties’ media tactics in this prominent case, which has become central to President Donald Trump’s second-term immigration policies.
“Since Kilmar Armando Abrego Garcia’s release from pretrial detention last Friday, individuals from the Department of Justice and Homeland Security — and even the White House — have launched media attacks against Mr. Abrego, issuing numerous prejudicial, inflammatory, and misleading comments,” the motion states.
Earlier in the week, Abrego Garcia’s lawyers dismissed the Trump administration’s criticisms, which accused the defendant of seeking media attention. They further charged administration officials with “openly leaking information to the media” while bragging about their client’s pending deportation to Uganda.
The latest filing marks the third time the defense has raised the issue that such public statements might negatively impact Abrego Garcia’s right to a fair trial.
The 15-page motion asked the court to order Bondi, Noem, and “all DOJ and DHS officials involved in [the] case” to “refrain from making extrajudicial comments that pose a substantial likelihood of materially prejudicing this proceeding.”
While impetus for the request is the recent spate of negative commentary from high-ranking officials after his release on bail, the motion says the invective is nothing new – but argues the comments have a real shot at upturning the carriage of adversarial justice itself.
“As Mr. Abrego has described in previous submissions, ever since he sued the government to enjoin his unlawful removal to El Salvador, numerous government officials have vilified him in the media — and these baseless public attacks have continued even after he was indicted in this District,” the motion goes on. “Mr. Abrego’s release from pretrial detention reignited the efforts of officials across the Executive Branch — and particularly at DHS — to besmirch both Mr. Abrego and the courts in a campaign to try this case in the court of public opinion.”
Noem is singled out as particularly culpable.
Within “minutes” of Abrego Garcia’s release from pretrial detention, the DHS head issued a statement criticizing “[a]ctivist liberal judges” for “attempt[ing] to obstruct our law enforcement every step of the way in removing the worst of the worst criminal illegal aliens from our country,” the motion notes. Noem went on to criticize the judge in Abrego Garcia’s civil case for being the “publicity hungry Maryland judge” who allowed a “MS-13 gang member, human trafficker, serial domestic abuser, and child predator” to go free, the motion further explains.
But Noem was not alone, the motion makes clear.
The White House stated its own disparagement of Abrego Garcia immediately after his release. Then, DHS issued a separate press release quoting Noem’s earlier statement. Later, when Abrego Garcia was back home in the Old Line State, White House border czar Tom Homan said the defendant is “not going to walk the streets of this nation” and called him a “criminal alien,” the motion catalogues.
Once Abrego Garcia returned to Immigration and Customs Enforcement detention on Aug. 25, both Trump and Bondi took to the dais at a White House press conference to further comment on his case, according to the motion.

Left to right: A stylized image of Kilmar Abrego Garcia (White House), Abrego Garcia in detention (DHS), Jennifer Vasquez Sura, left, hugs her husband Kilmar Abrego Garcia at the Immigration and Customs Enforcement field office in Baltimore, Aug. 25, 2025 (AP Photo/Stephanie Scarbrough).
“[W]e’ve got him under control, he will no longer terrorize our country,” Bondi said in response to a question. “He’s currently charged with human smuggling, including children. The guy needs to be in prison, he doesn’t need to be on the streets like all these liberals want him to be.… We are going to keep America safe from all of these foreign terrorist organizations, including Abrego Garcia.”
During that same press conference, the 45th and 47th president said Abrego Garcia’s “wife is afraid to even talk about him,” which does not appear to be true. Trump himself is not named in the gag order request.
The motion cited a local rule and the right to a fair trial in its request for the gag order. The motion further asked the court to, at the very least, force the government’s lawyers to provide an accounting of steps it has taken to comply with an earlier order directing “all counsel” to abide by federal and Volunteer State attorney rules regarding extrajudicial statements that could harm a defendant in the eyes of the public.
The motion also cautions – perhaps setting the stage for another kind of filing entirely – negative comments from the Trump administration may have already infected the prosecution beyond salvation.
“Further intervention from the Court is necessary to protect Mr. Abrego’s right to a fair trial and the integrity of these proceedings,” the motion argues. “The government’s ongoing barrage of prejudicial statements severely threaten — and perhaps have already irrevocably impaired — the ability to try this case at all — in any venue. If the government is allowed to continue in this way, it will taint any conceivable jury pool by exposing the entire country to irrelevant, prejudicial, and false claims about Mr. Abrego.”