Getaway driver is jailed for life over gangland restaurant shooting

A designated lookout and getaway driver was sentenced to life imprisonment today, with a minimum of 34 years, for his involvement in a gang-related shooting outside an east London restaurant, resulting in a nine-year-old girl having a bullet lodged in her brain.

The girl was struck in the head by one of six bullets discharged by a man on a motorcycle as she sat with her family at the Evin Restaurant on Kingsland High Street, Hackney, on May 29 of last year.

She was an innocent victim of a bloody rivalry between Turkish gangs of north London. Three men at a nearby table were also injured.

Javon Riley, 33, hailing from Tottenham, North London, was convicted at the Old Bailey for causing grievous harm with intent to the girl and for the attempted murder of Mustafa Kiziltan, 35, Kenan Aydogdu, 45, and Nasser Ali, 44.

During sentencing, Judge Mark Lucraft KC mentioned the gang rivalry had led to numerous ‘tit for tat’ murders and attempted murders in London and abroad over the past decade.

The three men who were shot were reportedly associated with the Hackney Turks organized crime group, which had a conflict with the Tottenham Turks, with whom Riley was connected, as the jury was informed.

The gunman is at large but prosecutors said Riley had played a ‘key role’ before, during and after the shooting.

Javon Riley, 33, was jailed for at least 34 years for his role in the Hackney gangland shooting

Javon Riley, 33, was jailed for at least 34 years for his role in the Hackney gangland shooting

The three targeted men run for cover as a gunman opens fire on the restaurant in May last year

The three targeted men run for cover as a gunman opens fire on the restaurant in May last year

Forensic officers conducting a search outside the restaurant after the shooting in May 2024

Forensic officers conducting a search outside the restaurant after the shooting in May 2024

Riley conducted surveillance of the restaurant prior to the incident, identified potential targets, and drove the shooter away in a stolen vehicle, which was later set ablaze.

The nine-year-old girl spent three months in hospital and will suffer with lifelong physical and cognitive problems as the bullet remains lodged in her brain.

The three male victims received gunshot wounds to the arm, leg and thigh.

Scotland Yard has offered up to £15,000 for information leading to the identification, arrest and prosecution of the person who fired the shots.

During a three-week trial, Riley was asked to identify the ‘third party’ who had recruited him for around £40,000.

He refused, citing fear for his life and that of his family.

The defendant admitted conducting reconnaissance, spotting targets and picking up the gunman, but claimed he believed it was a ‘smash-and-grab’ robbery.

He later admitted the person who used the gun had said to him: ‘Shots have been fired. I need to get out of here.’

A CCTV image from the Met Police of the motorcyclist wanted in connection with the shooting

A CCTV image from the Met Police of the motorcyclist wanted in connection with the shooting

Footage shows the suspected gunman riding a stolen Ducati Monster motorbike at the time

Footage shows the suspected gunman riding a stolen Ducati Monster motorbike at the time

CCTV images of the suspected gunman, who has never been traced, riding along the road

CCTV images of the suspected gunman, who has never been traced, riding along the road

The court heard Jamaica-born Riley had a string of convictions dating back to 2008 including for possession of cannabis and cocaine, driving offences and having an offensive weapon and a blade in his car.

He also admitted involvement in car theft, drug dealing and robberies, but said he had never been caught for those offences.

Police recordings revealed Riley’s links to the Tottenham Turks, including talks about Izzet Eren, who was shot in Moldova on July 10 last year in what was believed to be a revenge attack.

You May Also Like

Why Pete Hegseth’s Wife Is Reportedly Always by His Side

Once known in conservative media circles for a combative, “bad-boy” persona, Defense…

Harry and Meghan Associates Now Fear There Is More to This

Call it a royal reset, a dramatic “freedom flight” reversal, or simply…

LA Mayoral Race Intensifies After Karen Bass Labels Nithya Raman Lazy

The Los Angeles mayoral debate quickly turned combative when Mayor Karen Bass…

Shabana Mahmood Backs Fairer Asylum Seeker Distribution

Shabana Mahmood has reinforced Andy Burnham’s call for asylum seekers to be…

Girl, 12, Found in Woods Hours After Vanishing From Sleepover

A 12-year-old North Carolina girl who authorities say was abducted from a…

Lindsay Clancy Supporters Bring Babies to Her Murder Trial

A wave of applause and shouted support rose from a crowd dressed…

California Family’s $18M COVID Relief Fraud Spurs Senate Crackdown on Fraudster Families

WASHINGTON — Call it a family affair in fraud. A California clan…

FBI Agents Seize Rep. Eric Swalwell’s Electronics at San Francisco Airport

Federal agents met Eric Swalwell at San Francisco Airport on Saturday with…

Harry and Meghan Face Soaring Costs to Keep Montecito Mansion

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle may have to consider selling their Montecito…

Iran Protest Survivor Raheleh Amiri Blasts ‘Screaming Mary’ Son’s Bid to Remain in US

An Iranian-born activist who lost an eye after being shot by Iran’s…

NYC Mayoral Aide Signals Aid for Stores Impacted by City-Run Supermarkets

A top official helping steer New York City Mayor Zohran Mamdani’s proposed…

Sydney Swans Break Silence With Emotional Statement to Fans

Sydney Swans senior coach Dean Cox and captain Callum Mills fronted reporters…