Drone 'neutralised' over Poland's presidential palace in 'provocation'

A drone was neutralised over Poland’s presidential palace following an airspace intrusion last week that saw 19 Russian drones swarm Polish skies.  

The drone was spotted flying over the government site in Warsaw on Monday in what appeared to be Russia’s latest test of Poland’s air defences.

However, the object was neutralised by Poland’s State Protection Service (SOP), Prime Minister Donald Tusk said.

‘The State Protection Service has just neutralized a drone that was hovering over government buildings on Parkowa Street and the Belweder Palace,’ Tusk announced in a post on X.

This event occurs while Poland remains on high alert due to the recent intrusion of Russian drones into Polish airspace during a significant incursion last Wednesday.

During these violations, Western jets engaged Russian targets for the first time since the onset of the Ukraine conflict, heightening fears in a region already tense since Moscow’s war escalation in 2022.

Tusk warned at the time that the violations were ‘the closest we have been to open conflict since World War II.’

Minister of Funds and Regional Policy, Katarzyna Pełczyńska-Nałęcz, told Polish media on Monday after the incident, “I anticipate that we will see more such provocations.”

The commercial drone which was spotted flying over the government site in Warsaw was neutralised by Poland's State Protection Service (SOP), Prime Minister Donald Tusk said on Monday

The commercial drone detected flying over the government area in Warsaw was disabled by Poland’s State Protection Service, Prime Minister Donald Tusk confirmed on Monday.

Following the incident near Belweder Palace, two Belarusian citizens were detained in connection to the drone and police have now launched an investigation

Two Belarusian nationals were apprehended following the incident near Belweder Palace, and authorities have initiated an investigation into the matter.

Meanwhile, a SOP source told the Polish Press Agency that no shots were fired during the operation and that the drone returned to two Belarusians who launched it in emergency mode.  

Tusk added that following the incident, the Belarusian citizens were detained in connection to the drone and police have now launched an investigation.

A spokesman for the SOP recounted the incident on TVN24. ‘SOP officers on duty at Belweder Palace spotted the drone and notified their superiors. 

‘A patrol was then dispatched to neutralise, or detain, the drone operators. The officers apprehended two individuals and handed them over to the police,’ he confirmed. 

Colonel Napiórkowski assured that the SOP is monitoring government buildings. ‘We are constantly vigilant here, we are prepared for such situations, and we will always respond,’ he said.

It comes just a week after 19 Russian drones violated Polish airspace on September 9, temporarily shutting down at least four airports including Rzeszów, Lublin, Warsaw, and Modlin.

Poland’s military was forced to shoot down drones in its airspace with the backing of military aircraft from NATO allies, the first time a member of the Western military alliance is known to have fired shots during Russia’s war in Ukraine.

Drones crashed into several civilian homes as well as a military base for Poland’s Territorial Defence Forces.

Last week it was revealed that the Russian drones were reportedly heading to a NATO base used to supply Ukraine.

Die Welt, a German newspaper, reported that five of the drones were on a direct flight path to a NATO base used to deliver supplies to Ukraine.

A high-ranking NATO officer told the paper: ‘Based on current information, we assume that the drones most likely intentionally entered NATO airspace’.

NATO officials are particularly nervous given that two more drones entered Lithuania at 10am on Wednesday, hours after Russia sent drones to Poland. This is believed to have been done to test the defence bloc’s response.

Up to four of the 19 Russian drones were shot down by Polish and NATO aircraft - the first time Kremlin drones have been downed while flying above a NATO territory

Up to four of the 19 Russian drones were shot down by Polish and NATO aircraft – the first time Kremlin drones have been downed while flying above a NATO territory

Firefighters work on the destroyed roof of a house, after Russian drones violated Polish airspace during an attack on Ukraine, with some being shot down by Poland with the backing from its NATO allies, in Wyryki, Lublin Voivodeship, Poland, September 10, 2025

Firefighters work on the destroyed roof of a house, after Russian drones violated Polish airspace during an attack on Ukraine, with some being shot down by Poland with the backing from its NATO allies, in Wyryki, Lublin Voivodeship, Poland, September 10, 2025

NATO aircraft, including Polish F-16s, Dutch F-35s, Italian AWACS reconnaissance planes and refueling aircraft were sent to intercept the drones.

Following the incident, Tusk said that he appreciated European leaders’ expressions of solidarity but said ‘the words are not enough’ as he announced that Poland would request ‘much greater’ support from NATO allies. 

He added that the drone activity was part of a wider display of aggression from Russia. ‘There is no reason to claim that we are in a state of war,’ Tusk said. 

‘But the situation is significantly more dangerous than all previous ones.’

Poland’s deputy prime minister has also called for NATO to build an ‘anti-drone wall’ on its border with Russia, just days after Vladimir Putin send dozens of drones into Poland’s airspace.

Earlier this month, Tusk said that appeasing Putin ‘makes no sense’ after Moscow launched its biggest ever drone attack against Ukraine.

Following the strike, Tusk urged the US and Europe to take stronger action against Russia.

‘The Russian attack on Kyiv’s government buildings shows again that the continued delaying of a strong reaction against Putin and the attempts to appease him makes no sense,’ he wrote on X.

‘The US and Europe must together force Russia to accept an immediate ceasefire. We have all the instruments,’ he added.

Elsewhere along the alliance’s eastern frontier, Latvia, Lithuania and Romania have all reported Russian drone incursions.

In response, NATO countries elected to move troops and fighter jets eastwards as part of its Eastern Sentry mission to bolster the military alliance’s eastern flank after the incursion.

Parts of discovered drone are seen in the village of Mniszkow in central Poland

Parts of discovered drone are seen in the village of Mniszkow in central Poland

Denmark will contribute two F-16 fighter jets to boost Poland’s air defense as well as a warship, while France will send three Rafale fighter jets and Germany has promised four Eurofighters, according to NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte.

The UK announced on Monday that it would deploy Royal Air Force (RAF) Typhoon jets to join the Eastern Sentry, supported by a RAF Voyager air-to-air refueling aircraft from RAF Brize Norton.

Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer said: ‘These aircraft are not just a show of strength, they are vital in deterring aggression, securing NATO airspace and protecting our national security and that of our allies.’

UK Defence Secretary John Healey added that the jets would ‘help deter Russian aggression and, where needed, defend NATO’s airspace, making Britain secure at home and strong abroad.’

You May Also Like

Indiana’s Once-in-a-Lifetime Floods: 6 Dead, 100 Rescued

At least six people have been found dead in Indiana, with others…

Karl-Anthony Towns Marries Jordyn Woods in Lavish Ceremony

New York Knicks standout Karl-Anthony Towns celebrated a life-changing moment off the…

Chick-fil-A Launches Its Most Indulgent Menu Yet, Available to Order All Day

Chicken and waffles has long been the kind of classic American comfort…

Family Demands $105M From NYC After Central Park Horse Kills Son

The family of an 18-year-old tourist who died after a Central Park…

Tori Spelling Calls Out Director Who She Says Hated Her

Tori Spelling will always be closely tied to Beverly Hills, 90210, but…

TV Presenter Who Exposed People Smugglers Now Living Under Death Threats

A well-known TV news presenter says he is facing a credible death…

WNBA Legend Draws Laughs With Sexuality Joke in Hall of Fame Speech

Candace Parker sparked a wave of reaction with a brief, self-aware joke…

NYC Synagogue Attack Victim Fights Back Against Assailant

The woman injured during Friday night’s attack at a prominent New York…

Jeffries Offers Cautious Response on Medicare for All and DSA Influence

WASHINGTON — House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries drew sharp scrutiny Sunday after…

Iran Offered $30,000 Bounties to Kill or Capture U.S. Soldiers, Army Chief Says

Iran’s top military commander has announced a $30,000 bounty for anyone who…

Alleged Killer Nick Reiner Seeks Access to Trust Fund in Court Request

Nick Reiner, the 32-year-old son of Rob and Michele Reiner who is…

Stourbridge Wildfire Aftermath Reveals Devastating Scars

The scale of destruction left by the Stourbridge wildfire has been laid…