Jamie Redknapp issues apology live on Sky Sports to Lord Sugar after Apprentice star threatened to sue following claim he left Tottenham in 'a mess'
Share this @internewscast.com

Jamie Redknapp has offered an apology to Lord Sugar after the former Apprentice star threatened legal action over remarks made by the Sky Sports commentator concerning his time as Spurs chairman.

During last month’s broadcast of Tottenham’s match against West Ham, Redknapp, who has played for England, commented that Lord Sugar, who led the club for a decade until 2001, left Tottenham in disarray.

These remarks provoked an intensely negative reaction from Sugar, who took to X to threaten legal proceedings against both Redknapp and Sky Sports, alongside labeling Redknapp as ‘a double barrel idiot’.

Nearly a month following his statements about Lord Sugar, Redknapp has publicly apologized. Live on Friday Night Football on Sky Sports, the 52-year-old addressed the issue to clarify his previous statements.

‘I mentioned that Lord Sugar had the left the club in a mess,’ Redknapp said during coverage of Bournemouth’s clash with Fulham.

Jamie Redknapp has issued a grovelling response to Lord Sugar after accusing him of leaving Spurs ‘in a mess’

The Apprentice star, who spent 10 years as Spurs chairman, threatened to sue over the comments

The Apprentice star, who spent 10 years as Spurs chairman, threatened to sue over the comments

He labelled the former England international an 'idiot' for the claims  he made on Sky Sports

He labelled the former England international an ‘idiot’ for the claims  he made on Sky Sports

‘I just want to make clear that he stabilised the club and invested heavily during his time as chairman.

‘When he took over in 1991, Spurs were close to bankruptcy and by the time he stepped away the financial position had been turned around. 

‘He made considerable investments in the team and infrastructure. I apologize to Lord Sugar and his family for any misunderstanding and distress caused and am pleased to clarify the situation.’

Having seen the apology, The Apprentice star Sugar took to X once again. 

He posted: ‘On 13th September Jamie Redknapp stated on Sky Sports that I left Tottenham ‘in a mess’ when I sold the club to Daniel Levy. 

During Sky’s Bournemouth v Fulham coverage, Redknapp issued a complete apology and withdrew the false assertion. Furthermore, as an additional gesture of apology, a donation of £10,000 has been made to Great Ormond Street Hospital.

Redknapp’s initial comments were made just days after Levy’s shocking exit from Spurs in early September after 24 years at the club. 

Reflecting on the former Tottenham chairman’s time in north London, he said: ‘I think from Spurs’ point of view, it’s a great time to be optimistic. You mentioned Vinai (Venkatesham), I think he’s going to be a really good CEO of the club, he’s got a great way about him – make the club a bit more friendly to everybody. 

Sugar revealed that a payment of £10,000 has been made to Great Ormond Street Hospital in the wake of Redknapp's apology

Sugar revealed that a payment of £10,000 has been made to Great Ormond Street Hospital in the wake of Redknapp’s apology

‘I think that’s maybe been a problem, there’s been a disconnect with the fans when Daniel Levy was there.

‘One thing I will say, and I’ve been critical with Daniel – there were a few things I didn’t like with how he operated – but in terms of the training ground, the facilities, the infrastructure, one of the best stadiums in world – he’s done a great job.

‘The one thing I’ll say is the wages at the club – everyone applauds that – but I think what that’s done is not get the best players for the club. So that’s always been a bit difficult.

‘But whoever takes over – you think back to how Alan Sugar left the club, it was a complete mess – Daniel Levy has left this club in a really good way and Vinai will know that and the people in charge now can look at this club and really believe that this can go forward.

‘And maybe, no disrespect, but a bit more likeable. I think that’s what they’ll be looking to do and get that relationship with the fans, with the club and make everybody proud to be Tottenham fans. It’s a huge fanbase – so many opportunities for the club to move forwards now.’

Share this @internewscast.com
You May Also Like

Having observed top English talents over the past three decades, Manchester United’s 15-year-old sensation JJ Gabriel stands out as a future superstar in the making.

During Manchester United Under 18s’ impressive 4-1 triumph over Oxford United in…

Macclesfield’s Bold FA Cup Strategy: Targeting Brentford with Set-Piece Mastery and Jordan Henderson Tactics

Outside the Co-op and Lazy Joe’s Cafe, vendors were offering half-and-half scarves…

Stoke City’s Play-Off Ambitions: Mark Robins on Overcoming Injuries, Transfer Revamp with Jonathan Walters, and Premier League Aspirations

As the final whistle blew at the bet365 Stadium on a brisk…

Maro Itoje’s 100th Cap: Unveiling the Secrets Behind England Captain’s Stellar Rugby Journey

In an extravagant ceremony last August, Maro Itoje and his partner, Mimi,…

Gold-Medal Triumph: Team USA’s Women’s Hockey Declared Unmatched After Victory Over Canada

The U.S. women’s hockey team has been hailed as the finest in…

Thrilling FA Cup Showdown: Crysencio Summerville’s Heroics Propel 10-Man West Ham Over Burton

Once again, Crysencio Summerville emerged as the hero for West Ham, providing…

F1 Sensation Lando Norris Sparks Buzz: Leaked Footage Reveals Breakup with Supermodel Magui Corceiro

Formula One champion Lando Norris has reportedly ended his relationship with supermodel…

Manchester City Overcomes Stubborn Salford City 2-0: Guardiola Deploys Key Players Amid ‘Boring’ FA Cup Challenge

Pep Guardiola’s admiration for the FA Cup is rooted in its rich…

Tynecastle’s Derek McInnes Energizes Title Race with Late Goals and Passionate Leadership Under Tony Bloom’s Watchful Eye

Regardless of how this thrilling Premiership season concludes, television producers likely already…